Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Extremely Frustrated, I'm tired of clients saying T2i does not look professional
    I have shot several shoots and every time I go to a new gig with my T2i I always get the comments, "You shoot with that little thing", "Where is your real camera" etc. No one denies my quality and what I do but it is truly making me feel uncomfortable and I am asking the community for some help.

Do I need to get a crazy rig with follow focus , small monitor, external mic, etc?

Help me out

thanks
    Vision without action is just a dream. Action without vision is a nightmare. Put your vision into motion.....

2. Collapse Details
    $1200 mattebox, monitor, and soundman. does the trick

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NoxNoctus View Post
    $1200 mattebox, monitor, and soundman. does the trick
    Correct, BUT alternatively though if it is just to "look" more professional I don't why you would want to spend $1,200... Just get a mattebox as big as you can, slap a good big viewfinder, follow focus, and monitor and they will hardly be able to see the t2i.

Another far cheaper route would be to roll with it, "I know, amazing the quality, technology has come so far so quick, when people realize what you can do with these things, etc. etc." or something similar. Word it like you are agreeing with them because you assume they realize how awesome it is. It will make them feel dumb and not want to bring it up because presumably they don't know what you know, why else would they hire you?

If you don't get defensive it won't seem like you have something to be defensive about.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Burritoclock View Post
    Correct, BUT alternatively though if it is just to "look" more professional I don't why you would want to spend $1,200... Just get a mattebox as big as you can, slap a good big viewfinder, follow focus, and monitor and they will hardly be able to see the t2i.

Another far cheaper route would be to roll with it, "I know, amazing the quality, technology has come so far so quick, when people realize what you can do with these things, etc. etc." or something similar. Word it like you are agreeing with them because you assume they realize how awesome it is. It will make them feel dumb and not want to bring it up because presumably they don't know what you know, why else would they hire you?

If you don't get defensive it won't seem like you have something to be defensive about.

Great response and yes from clients to even actual other video/film makers they simply do not believe that the T2i puts out the image it does. I have had at least a couple of people tell me that it is simply not true

But yeah I guess I must relax and understand that Canon has blessed us with the t2i, let me get back to work now
    Vision without action is just a dream. Action without vision is a nightmare. Put your vision into motion.....

5. Collapse Details
    only answer to the one that is signing the paychecks, if the boss says that, tell him or her that all that matters is the end result, tell them " just wait till you see the final result, you be the judge"

6. Collapse Details
    most clients i deal with criticized my equipment, until they saw what i put out. Unless they have a background or an interest in it, they really wont know what they are looking at, and take a 'bigger is better' approach to everything.

We used to shoot with a 5D mkII most the time, now we have the 5D mkII on hand as well as my D300s and XH-A1; before that we would rent, and most the time the DSLR's handled 90% of the footage, and the client was 100% sure the DLSR's were just there for backup or photo's while the rented cam or the new rig was the majority of the shots.

I try to show a portfolio of work first. Heck, i still sell a lot of prints from my little Nikon D50 (circa 2005). Things have progressed VERY quickly in the video world AND the photographic world; unless a person has kept on top of it, it is likely they will not expect the same or better quality out of a DSLR that they expect out of dedicated video machines.

For reasons of perception, most of my clients feel so much better that we have a few 'real cameras' on hand, even though my personal D300 shoots NO video and the D300 is also pretty much dedicated to stills as well, and the 5D mkII is still the workhorse, they look to the XH-A1 assuming the best quality comes out of it. Frankly i shoot a lot of moving shots, so the 5D mkII isnt used in those, but the perception remains when the lighting is low, 'its just a big fat digital camera'.

I actually had one client try to show me up shooting the 5D mkII and D300s in low light with a little handycam he brought from home...

Show your best work, and dont worry about clients perceptions, just prove you can do it with the equipment you have.

7. Collapse Details
    I think it's worth investing a few extra dollars on a matte box and an outboard monitor. That alone makes it look a lot more pro and also helps you do better work. Just keep in mind how much dough you're saving on the next camera up from the T2i. It's a steal what you get for that price...

Noah
    One of 50 Best Websites for Moviemakers by MovieMaker Magazine: www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount code for DVXusers: dvxcbx20
    Good on all Call Box videos including Panasonic GH2, Panasonic AC160/130 and GoPro HD.

8. Collapse Details
    I have a friend who went through the same issue with his clients, he ended up buying the bells and whistles to give himself the professional look. Personally, spend the dough on better lenses or accessories that will help up the quality of the final product. I'd rather buy Carl Zeiss lens and deal with reassuring a client of their insecurities than buy accessories you could live without.

9. Collapse Details
    Great responses people, I am using a simple rig but would like to know exactly what rig I could use to mount a small monitor onto?

I would love to have the lilliput monitor mounted onto my camera, but my DIY
    (spray painted black pvc pipe ) has no way really of mounted anything to it

Any ideas?

Thanks

10. Collapse Details
    I was scared at first but eventually became accustomed to the 8" lilliput monitor attached to the 7D hot-shoe.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast