Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Best way to up-res 720p to 1080p?
    My school's film festival requires all films to be submitted in 1920x1080, however I shot my film in one of the GH1's 720p modes.

What is the best way to up-res my film to 1080p? I am not to impressed with final cut's upressing from 720p to 1080p so I'm looking for another method.

I've been looking at Magic Bullet's Instant HD. Has anyone used this program before and had success?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Collapse Details
    I would talk to the film festival organizers and find out why the f they want all the movies in 1080p? Wtf? How are they going to be showing/projecting them? Most film festivals still REQUIRE submissions on TAPE.

3. Collapse Details
    Instant HD works pretty good, at least within After Effects. FCP's scaling is sub-standard, even when scaling down.

4. Collapse Details
    Will Instant HD do 720p to 1080p? What about "Resizer 2.2?"
    Does Instant HD 1.2 or Resizer 2.2 work with 720p to 1080p?

What's the difference in Resizer 2.2 and Instant HD 1.2?

I e-mailed Magic Bullet a last week, but have not heard back from them yet.

Also, is Instant HD 1.2 better than resizing in Compressor? Looks like MB discontinued Instant HD Advanced, implying that Compressor was as good here http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/feat...-discontinued/

I hope it's OK to bring up an old thread -- saw this thread when searching for 720p to 1080p.

Thanks!

5. Collapse Details
    If your master copy is avi, or can be easily converted to avi, then the Lanczos3 option in the "resize" filter within Virtualdub is excellent, and Vdub is freeware.

Are you sure they want 1080p and not 1080i? How are they projecting?

6. Collapse Details
    I've used Instant HD and it is excellent.
    HD Video: G7s, ax100s
    Microphones: Sennheiser MKH 80 MKH20 MKH40
    Neumann 11-pattern dual capsule main pair by Rens Heijnis
    Schoeps MK2, MK2H, MK21, MK41
    own design ribbon mics

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    If your master copy is avi, or can be easily converted to avi, then the Lanczos3 option in the "resize" filter within Virtualdub is excellent, and Vdub is freeware.

Are you sure they want 1080p and not 1080i? How are they projecting?
    Short answer is, I don't know if ProRes is easy to convert to AVI and back.

From looking at Wikipedia, it appears avi is just a wrapper, not a codec (so no recompression is necessary when going to AVI and back). Is this correct?

I would want to work with 1080p or 720p. I would prefer output to be onto Blue-Ray at 720p24. (I have only printed to DVD in the past, at SD, usually at 24 fps progressive).

I would rather use a plug-in that can handle ProRes, if anyone has suggestions.

If you're interested, here's my planned workflow:

I'm just starting to shoot with my Nikon D7000, and will probably borrow a friend's Canon 7D (to shoot 720p60). I would normally convert straight into ProRes (422 SQ). With the 720p60 footage, it would go to Cinema Tools for conversion to 720p24 (slow motion).

Want to upres/cross-convert 720p24 to 1080p24, and drop it in a 720p24 timeline due to the the cropping that comes with stabilizing very shaky footage.

I guess the order would be denoise, upres/cross-convert, stabilize.

Any suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by Ripple; 03-29-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: wrong app

8. Collapse Details
    Contacted Red Giant Software by phone. After checking several times with her coworkers, sales rep said the following:

*Both Magic Bullet Instant HD 1.2 and Magic Bullet Resizer 2.2 will indeed upres/cross-convert 720p24 to 1080p24 (among other things).
    *Neither plug-in can utilize "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously" in AE CS5.
    *Red Giant does not give out information regarding approximate render speeds on these products.

If anyone knows of another plug-in for upressing/cross-converting footage, I have not yet purchased Instant HD 1.2.

Within a week will probably purchase some form of "Genuine Fractals" for video.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Ripple; 03-30-2011 at 04:27 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    I've found the upscaler in Canopus Edius 6 to be fairly amazing.... thats Win 7 though and I assume you're mac based, but it handles pretty much any file format and I was impressed with its handling of 1080 HD projects that had mixtures of SD footage and 720p footage that needed to be upscaled... it looked stellar to me and I'm a pixel peeper.

10. Collapse Details
    Please explain to an old thicky like me can 720P resolution be made 24P,i thought once its filmed its filmed so how can more resolution be given to 720P,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WV_NT4FE04 there is a noticable difference when playing that on an avchd or bd discs to hd tv ,so there is a magic formula that makes 720P the same

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast