Page 62 of 118 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I tend to use either the SanDisk or the Panasonic, and yes we make our own memory, cards and all. But the Panasonics are not always available. I had a customer shoot some stuff on the 3D camera and one of the cards would not reliably mount, it was an off brand. I quickly moved the footage to a hard drive and then onto a SanDisk as Staples was out of the Panasonic. They did have another storebrand for about half the price of the SanDisk, but I know that all memory is not created equal and passed it by.

Buy a good brand and it should serve you well. Do not look at SD cards as a final resting spot for your footage it is not an archival medium.

Best,

Jan
    Jan Crittenden Livingston
    Panasonic System Communications Corporation
    Partner Sales Manager, NY and NJ

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strangways View Post

How are customers supposed to know all of this and keep on top of all of it?
    The companies have to be competitive. In order to be competitive they have to sell lots of their cheap stuff. So, they don't advertise SLC, high reliability and industrial quality media much. The consumer thinks media is a commodity, so what is important is capacity/price. In pc storage we have lots of stuttering MLC SSD that cannot sustain data rates and quickly deteriorate under heavy use, high quality SLC is very rare, even today. The reviewers play the game also, everything is sold by a data rate spec that is far from the truth and all problems are discovered by the end users. Those who report the issues are rarely treated well, they are typically attacked and discouraged. It's not fun to have someone rain on your parade, especially if you just paid a lot of money on the product. People want to feel good about their purchase.

Perhaps there is market for pretested cards with guaranteed performance for a datarate at a premium. Testing can be automated and it would only add a few $ per card.

Not all problems of SD would be solved though. There are mechanical and electrical issues inherent to the design that can lead for loss of data, and sometimes, the camera design is responsible for the loss. For the same reason, I can guarantee performance and reliability over SATA but not over USB.

3. Collapse Details
    This is too funny. Everyone is complaining that quality and reliability are being sacrificed in the name of price on Panasonic's end, and then going out and buying the cheapest possible SD cards. Spend the money, get high-end Sandisk or Panasonic cards.

4. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    And remember that the highest capacity is probably inferior.

5. Collapse Details
    The fact that Jan is reading this is what makes all of this discourse worthwhile.

As far as my use of an SD-based camera is concerned, I would go out and buy Panasonic or Sandisk cards, but I'd still have to hope that even if I went to a major retailer, that I wouldn't get stuck with counterfeit cards.

Still, I'd rather have P2. Any P2 card will be more reliable than the best SD cards available.

Also, I have no doubt that we will hear cases on this message board and other places, of people complaining about Panasonic or Canon or Sony cameras being crap, because they used crap media in good cameras, or complaining about good media being crap, because they got counterfeit versions, either unknowingly, or through shopping eBay for the lowest possible price.

6. Collapse Details
    Great job, Jan! Looks like an exciting product! Here are my suggestions:

1. Zebra 1 = include 70% in adjustable range, plus large, adjustable "aperture" (over- and under-range).+
    2. Zebra 2 = include 100% in adjustable range, plus large, adjustable "aperture" (over- and under-range).+
    3. Frameline reticles: 16:9, 2:35, custom, plus 90% "safe action" for all, with center crosshair, plus, adjustable-percentage opacity, shaded out-of-frame area.
    4. Menu-adjustable ancillary video output (HD-SDI BNC or HDMI) to display viewfinder output (e.g., reticle, zebra, menus).
    5. Try to put the "standard three" switches in the "normal" ENG camera location (output, gain, white balance memory).
    6. Please make sure that an AF Nikkor 14mm f/2.8D will actually clear the EVF when mounted.
    7. In-camera SD downconvert out of a composite BNC would be handy.
    8. It would be incredibly awesome if there were a standard Anton-Bauer Gold Mount option on the back of this camera (and the appropriate 14.4V voltage step-down, built-in, if required), so that my many $1,000s of bricks and chargers could be repurposed on this camera.
    9. Please put STRAP hardware on the camera! This is VERY important to me! With a camera strap, you have BOTH hands free when carrying your gear. Without a camera strap, I can't re-po and carry my sticks and camera very easily (very important for guerilla shooting).
    10. Please put a 1/4-20 female thread in the "SunGun" area of the handle!
    11. I have no need for autofocus on this camera.*

+[Note that while waveform-style histogram overlays are nice (love them in your monitors), I still really like seeing zebra information in the EVF, since they tell you exactly what part of the picture is doing what. Remember that possibly a large portion of your potential customers for this product are used to traditional, shoulder-mount, broadcast ENG camera layouts and ergonomics, and will miss those features and design modes, if not observed to some degree in your "crossover" product. In other words, try to avoid, as best you can, "dumbing" things down too much, or makimg too many "EZ" modes and whatnot. Many of your potential end-users will be experienced operators and DPs, used to shooting with Varicams and F900s.]

*[While unnecessary during actual shooting (and not applicable to me, since I'll be using all manual-focus Nikon primes), some version of an "autofocus" feature, designed to be used as a "Panatape" style, focus-marking aid would actually be useful to some. This is possibly the only application where a touchscreen would actually be appropriate.]

Sorry if this is a wholly redundant post. . . too long a thread to read entire thing (I will, eventually) . . . Thank you!
    Last edited by Ralph Oshiro; 05-23-2010 at 09:03 PM.
    Sony NEX-FS100 + FMU | Kinotehnik LCDVFe | Nikkor FX primes | Cavision IRNDs | Vinten Vision 5 | Steadicam Flyer

7. Collapse Details
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr6YwI8JUvI
    for those guys concerned abut SDHC cards hehehe

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Even more adverese then water is low temperature. Even Sandisc failed me once.
    Last edited by robertrogoz; 05-25-2010 at 09:04 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    you're 1/100.

10. Collapse Details
    A squeeze mode. Basically so we can get widescreen 2.35:1. It's worth a thought.

-Nate

MAKE YOUR MOVIE NOW!

Writer/Director/Producer/Editor/Composer/Prop Master/Action Hero
    Canon T3i/Apple Final Cut Studio 2/After Effects CS3/Action Essentials 2/Garageband 4.1.2

The Fourth Beast-2003 | Wages of Sin -2007 | Epitaph: Bread and Salt -2011

Page 62 of 118 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112 ... LastLast