Thread: Eidolon

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Loved it! I would have worked more on the costuming, and getting the right kind of grass to chew on, but the story was very, very good.
    Yeah, the village called; they want their idiot back.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle.presley View Post
    Loved it! I would have worked more on the costuming, and getting the right kind of grass to chew on, but the story was very, very good.
    Kyle,

I'm glad you liked it, if I may ask.....what is the right kind of grass to chew on??? Seriously though, thanks for the kind words....I'll be watching yours shortly and I'm really looking forward to it!

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by randin View Post
    I just need to point out that the composer did the flashback sound. ;) Thanks, Jason. It's all the same instruments as in the music, mostly backwards or pitch-shifted out of their normal ranges.
    Indeed, thanks for that. Because it saved me some time to concentrate on other things.

Although, I would have been able to make them too
    SOUND EDITING - SOUND DESIGN - AND ALSO SOUNDRECORDING

philipsfilmsound.com

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by thetvirus513 View Post
    I have to say the composer and sound designer both did an amazing job getting us the feel we wanted for the majority of the story as well as the flashbacks, and the colorist too for that matter. As far as the horse, our intro had to get cut due to time constraints, but basically the older man was riding up to meet the younger man on the bridge. We couldn't say no to throwing a couple shots of the horse in there though
    The most important rule of filmmaking: kill your darlings.

philipsfilmsound.com

5. Collapse Details
    Yah but if we didn't have them then our opening shot would have been at the bridge, and I just think it would have been boring to not have any change of location the whole movie......it's all about weighing your options.....
    Quote Originally Posted by dre83 View Post
    The most important rule of filmmaking: kill your darlings.

6. Collapse Details
    Eidolon

Really enjoyed this one. The story was well told, and you did a good job of revealing it in a natural way with dialogue. Sometimes when a film is very dialogue driven the writing can be spot-on, but I am glad you stayed away from that. The look of the film was nice too. Would have liked to see more coverage on the bridge, maybe a medium shot of each character, to mix in with your three other shots? Overall a great effort, especially considering this was your first festival! Good job!
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film COMPROMISE now available to see!

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dre83 View Post
    Indeed, thanks for that. Because it saved me some time to concentrate on other things.

Although, I would have been able to make them too
    Yeah, I'm sure you could've. I'm apparently just desperate enough for validation to claim that little bit of credit. I like in theory that it is the same instruments pulled out of the score for those sounds, but of course the viewer would never know the difference!

Great job, by the way. Viewers will be totally unaware of the difference in rain noise between the different shots thanks to you! Those things that everyone takes for granted make the film.
    Randin Graves
    film composer & didjeriduist for all occasions!
    http://www.randingraves.com
    http://www.facebook.com/randinmusic
    http://www.imdb.me/randingraves

8. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    Hey guys, watched your film and for the most part I enjoyed it. Iit was an impactful story and told simply. Good use of sound effects on the transitions, but some of the background noise was a little distracting and could have been faded away as the scene got more emotional. One of the things that I found really missing was the use of a good soild closeup as the old guy divulged more iinformation about the past. Really take us into his his and let us feel his pain. That hurt the storytelling aspect.

Overall I liked your actors, especially the young one. The older guys didn't draw me in and at times it felt like he was reading a speech instead of speaking from the heart. This may be the fault of the director or just circustances on the day of the shoot, whatever it is, I don't know. All I know is that the guy was looking back on his most shameful secret, something that led to a lifelong psychotic condition where he imagine his son alive for decades, and he's finally able to talk about it... and it's an eloquent speech. It's not soul tearing for him or us and I really didn;t find myself feeling the pain or his madness. Iit was just anohter story. The actor had a great voice that could have pulled us in more, but the performance on that piece was lacking entirely.

I saw alot to like in this movie and wanted it to do so well, especially after reading the script. Great effort putting it together and I commend you for that.

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney V. Smith View Post
    Hey guys, watched your film and for the most part I enjoyed it. Iit was an impactful story and told simply. Good use of sound effects on the transitions, but some of the background noise was a little distracting and could have been faded away as the scene got more emotional. One of the things that I found really missing was the use of a good soild closeup as the old guy divulged more iinformation about the past. Really take us into his his and let us feel his pain. That hurt the storytelling aspect.

Overall I liked your actors, especially the young one. The older guys didn't draw me in and at times it felt like he was reading a speech instead of speaking from the heart. This may be the fault of the director or just circustances on the day of the shoot, whatever it is, I don't know. All I know is that the guy was looking back on his most shameful secret, something that led to a lifelong psychotic condition where he imagine his son alive for decades, and he's finally able to talk about it... and it's an eloquent speech. It's not soul tearing for him or us and I really didn;t find myself feeling the pain or his madness. Iit was just anohter story. The actor had a great voice that could have pulled us in more, but the performance on that piece was lacking entirely.

I saw alot to like in this movie and wanted it to do so well, especially after reading the script. Great effort putting it together and I commend you for that.
    I think in this case, fading away sounds would have been more "shoking". Because when you fade away a sound, and you fade back in... You can hear it. In this case because of rain, no rain, rain, no rain, rain no rain, rain, no rain...

Normaly things like this is 100% ADR. And then you can fade away from the rain as much as you like without someone noticing.

But I wanted to keep it "one line" also... Not to much up and down

philipsfilmsound.com

10. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    I getcha Andre. Believe me I know all about limitations and bet the bugs just shouldnt shut up around that time.

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast