Thread: My NAB Report

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    My NAB Report
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    For anyone who might be interested, here are my highlights and lowlights from NAB 2010. Enjoy…

The Good
    - The Attendance: everyone I talked to (mostly cab drivers and strippers) said there were more people than last year and the year before.
    - "From Still To Motion": THE definitive book on HDSLR shooting. Not camera-specific, but a great all-around resource for shooters of any level. Highly recommended, and written by our own Matt Gottshalk (mcgeedigital).
    - The GoPro HD Hero: at $300, just shut up and get one (or three, like I did). LINK
    - The Zylight IS3 LED Panel: Powerful, sexy and well…expensive (but worth it). LINK
    - Zylight's "Active Diffusion" Softbox: You turn a dial and the opacity on the front of the softbox becomes more or less opaque. Very cool.
    - RedRock Micro's microRemote: You just have to see it to understand what it does. LINK
    - LitePanels' Sola Series: LEDs with some serious output. LINK
    - The Sound Devices 552: It's a killer field mixer. It's a 2-track SD recorder! Kids, it's both! LINK
    - My luck at the craps table.
    - IDC's "System One" Gearless Follow Focus: Made for HDSLRs, it's a great concept and built like a tank. LINK
    - NextoDI's NVS2525: Coming in Q4, it offers both SxS and P2 slots for rugged field offloading.
    - Rotolight: On-camera or on a microphone, it's a great idea simply executed. LINK
    - Blackmagic's DaVinci Resolve for Mac: It's the industry standard color-correction tool, and it's available for $995. You heard me. (The super-deluxe control surface is an extra $29,000, of course.) LINK
    - The Steadicam Tango: Is the name über-gay? Yes. Is the ability to boom from floor to ceiling with the usual Steadicam control all kinds of awesome? Yes. LINK
    - Marshall's 5" HDMI Monitor: Peaking. False Color. Takes AA batteries. Too bad it won't be out until Q3.
    - Ikan's Elements Series: Great mounting and rigging options at a great price point. LINK
    - Adobe CS5: It looks freakin' sweet.

The Bad
    - Too many vendors shoving too much 3D crap into the marketplace. The rush to be first almost always leads to the adoption of inferior technology.
    - My luck at the blackjack tables and video poker machines.
    - The third-empty South Hall, where post-production companies seemed to have plenty of room (and time) for impromptu kickball games.
    - My feet and knees.

The Intriguing
    - Panasonic's AF100 and Sony's APS-C Camcorders: Did they get it right? Does it have everything we want? Will it blend? Only time (and footage) will tell.
    - The ever-increasing number of budget-friendly production tools being offered to the modern filmmaker. It's a fascinating time to be us.

SM
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

2. Collapse Details
    did you swing by avids booth?

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks! Great reporting!

4. Collapse Details
    I did spend a short bit of time in Avid's booth, even though I'm an FCP guy. (The wife's an Avid girl, so we're a house divided.)

Media Composer 5.0 looks really, really nice. Here's what's new…LINK

For Avid folks, I'd say it's a must-upgrade.
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

5. Collapse Details
    did you swing by avids booth?

I spent lots of time at Avid and even attended their Panasonic Avid event in the evening. If you got questions Fire away.

I can undoubtedly say there is a reason to leave FCP. I don't know where Avid came from with this but its awesome.

Very Good List Mr. Mick

6. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Hey Jason, has all the increased native file support effected comprised Avid's famous media management system in anyway? With so much direct file to timeline support, how does it keep track of everything now if it doesn't transcode and reshuffle everything to MXF?

Anybody check out the new SmallHD monitor? It looks so good...

7. Collapse Details
    I was not impressed with SmallHD. The price is good, and the panel looks nice enough, but it doesn't have the false color or peaking features that the Marshall has. I think those things are worth paying extra for. The SmallHD is better than nothing, but if you're going to spend the money, spend it right. Just my opinion.
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

8. Collapse Details
    ey Jason, has all the increased native file support effected comprised Avid's famous media management system in anyway? With so much direct file to timeline support, how does it keep track of everything now if it doesn't transcode and reshuffle everything to MXF?

Anybody check out the new SmallHD monitor? It looks so good...
    Avid s direct acess technology is called AMA. It is referred to as "Unmanaged Media"

The workflow should go like this.

1.) Instantly access your p2, XDcam, 7D, 5D or Red Footage with no rewrapp transcode or other nonsense
    2.) that footage is fully editable instantly, so you can edit off your p2, or CF cards if you are in a rush. WHAT YOU SHOULD DO IS "consolidate" the media to your edit drive and when you do that Avid catalogs it with the famous media management database.

If you are FCP cutter the AMA is very similar to the way you have to self manage the media. So It would be nearly transparent for an FCP cutter. If you are an Avid cutter then just follow the workflow. Remember with great power comes great responsibility. AMA should be a first step, use it to sort footage, rough cut or even fini9sh an edit but then consolidate the sequence into Avid for Media management.

SO short answer is no, it does not affect the Media manageress provided you understand the Best practices and move your media to the Avid Database. Doing this does not rewrap or transcode. Although you can if you want, but it will edit the native files.

Small HD was SEXY. Its the Ipad of the monitors for me. Missing some features, but it is so sexy and the image is crazy sharp and crisp that I would not rule it out if you need HDI. I am not joking this thing could be called the imonitor and sold from Apple stores. Its beautiful. If you need HDMI only for your SLR then grab the little marshall. 600 bucks and you can power it with AA batts. Ikan has some great Middle of the rode solutions as well.
    Last edited by Jason Adams; 04-15-2010 at 06:50 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenmick View Post
    The Good

- IDC's "System One" Gearless Follow Focus: Made for HDSLRs, it's a great concept and built like a tank. LINK
    Wow, they will sell a tonne of these things on this site alone. Looks very simple and well executed.

10. Collapse Details
    And I forgot to mention another "Good"…

- Indiesystem's Snap Gears: magnetic gears for your follow-focus needs. LINK
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast