1. Collapse Details
    What is the best setting for shooting sports
    I recently shot a track meet and when I played it back it was trailing or choppy when the runners were going around the back side of the track. I had it in manual mode 30

2. Collapse Details
    30 what? Shutter speed at 1/30? If so, there's your problem. You gotta be more specific though, where is this thing going? Web, SD DVD, bluray, or something else?

3. Collapse Details
    Sorry, frame rate was 30 at 1/500 and 1.4. It was sunny and its for DVD. When I got home I just played it back on my HD TV and it looked good. I did notice the Image stabilization was off which i forgot. When the runners were going along the fence on the other side of the track it looked like there was a trail behind them or against the fence. I know there must be a setting that i forgot.

4. Collapse Details
    For sports and fast moving subjects you probably want to shoot 60i at 1/60 sec shutter. Going higher than 1/60 shutter will yield a different result - not necessarily better. Think Saving Private Ryan.

Shooting 30p or 24p will produce jumpy and choppy footage for fast moving subjects, there is just not enough frames to cover the realisitc movement.

5. Collapse Details
    Did you have the noise reduction turned on in the custom preset? That will cause trailing.