Page 5 of 306 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    hey tester, why not start up a project over at sourceforge.net? is the code linux based? i also have the 1.2 firmware that allows 3rd party batteries. would that help any?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tester13 View Post
    If you try to read carefully, you could find documents on used CPU core. Venus Engine is just marketing name for proprieraty LSI, same is true for any camera manufacturer.

Most other your theories are just plain wrong.
    Please direct me to the pages in the MM103 user manual that describes the DSP processing performed by the chip on the sensor data, as well as the the block diagram that indicates the image data flow.

The reason I ask, is perhaps I missed something but the only features of the block diagram in the manuals, appnotes, etc. that I down loaded from the Panasonic Semiconductor site, only had a block diagram for what these days may be classed as an embedded processor, having such features as DRAM, FLASH, interrupts, a variety of bit I/O, serial interfaces, and the like.

In fact, on the Panasonic Semi site there was scant indication of any chip dealing with ccd/cmos imaging arrays...

Since I don't read Japanese, perhaps it is available some where else.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Car3o View Post
    hey tester, why not start up a project over at sourceforge.net? is the code linux based? i also have the 1.2 firmware that allows 3rd party batteries. would that help any?
    Everything's linux based???

4. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Car3o View Post
    We don't need sourceforge as I have my own site.
    And no code yet, as I don't know about any good windows cross-compiler.
    I believe, result will be special patcher.
    Last edited by Vitaliy Kiselev; 05-20-2010 at 11:19 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j1clark@ucsd.edu View Post
    Please direct me to the pages in the MM103 user manual that describes the DSP processing performed by the chip on the sensor data, as well as the the block diagram that indicates the image data flow.
    Why do you need block diagrams and how they can help you (from my previous expirience with such things they won't much)?
    Inside camera you have special LSI chip, normally with CPU and DSP. Usually they share same command set, but DSP have extensions and some low level parts are similar to FPGA.
    LSI detail are closed for every major manufacturers.
    Last edited by Vitaliy Kiselev; 04-16-2010 at 02:54 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ken steadman View Post
    i will gladly donate to you for your efforts.
    (even if nothing pans out).
    +1
    Zack - Alignment Productions
    BLOG
    VIMEO
    Panasonic GH-13 / Lumix 7-14mm f4 / Lumix 14-140mm f4 / Vivitar 24mm f2 / Canon FD 28mm f2.8 / Tokina SD 28-70mm f3.5 / Canon FD 50mm f1.4 / MBP 2.66GHz Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM / MACPRO quad 2.7GHz, 8GB RAM / Twin 23" LCD's / FCS2 / AECS4 / Atari 2600

7. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Useful donation could be only GH1 for experiments.

I want you to remind that we almost don't have any text inside firmware. So, it'll be extremely hard to try to remove AGC (even if found only option will be to turn on analog and digital gains and use it as linear level input). If anyone have photos of GH1 main PCB it could help a little.

Service manual also could help.
    Last edited by Vitaliy Kiselev; 05-20-2010 at 11:20 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    I have the service manual and the pics of the inside - PM me. Not much info there though. Just shows how to disassemble the camera and a few other things.

Another thought is to see if anyone knows someone at Panasonic who can get a copy of the 'tatsujin' software that allows control of the camera from a computer via USB. Perhaps that will allow some tweaking.... who knows - although this software is really only for experts - perhaps it allows uncompressed HDMI for testing purposes. Just a thought.But keep very quiet about it's intended use.........he he he
    Last edited by henryolonga; 04-16-2010 at 07:28 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tester13 View Post
    Why do you need block diagrams and how they can help you (from my previous expirience with such things they won't much)?
    Inside camera you have special LSI chip, normally with CPU and DSP. Usually they share same command set, but DSP have extensions and some low level parts are similar to FPGA.
    LSI detail are closed for every major manufacturers.
    The questions that are being asked, deal with the DSP, AVCHD encoding, and data pathways.

Sure, in some applications the DSP and the management CPU are one and the same. In other applications, data is processed in 'engines' that are just dropped in and configured/managed by the management CPU.

So, yeah, for a TI320 it did everything... for apps that use an ARM for the management, unless the DSP needs are really low, a separate DSP engine is used.

With the FPGAs one can collect a set of functions, and depending on the size one can have a large number of interconnects.

Here's a link to the Panasonic page regarding software development environments for the MM101/103 processors. Don't know if the GH-1 uses the realtime OS mentioned
    on this page or not.

http://www.semicon.panasonic.co.jp/e.../softtool.html

But the bottom line is, unless you have a 'picture', a 'block' diagram, you're pretty much shooting in the dark.
    Last edited by j1clark@ucsd.edu; 04-16-2010 at 10:25 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    As I said, diagram won't help much. Yes, it is good to have all information. But reality is slightly different :-)
    Both software development enviroument and diagrams didn't helped much in Pentax DSLRs case. As development tools are very different for LSI chips (libraries, realtime os, configuration, many things).
    As for shooting in the dark - I can't agree. Normally high level stuff can be understood quite good without detailed DSP knowledge.

Page 5 of 306 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast