Page 4 of 306 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_B View Post
    The camera does composite out right now, but it goes away when you hit record. Having it stay on would be huge...and likely much more possible than enabling HDMI out which isn't there outside of playback to begin with.
    Camera just read proper resolution to show on screen, special resolution.
    Have all processes running.
    And as soon as recording starts it now read data using different resolution, so processor (or DSP) must rescale it to proper resolution (and I believe it just can't). This is the reason for turning off video output.
    Most probably no artifical limitation here, it is just construction limitation.

P.S. Later addition - I can be wrong here.
    Last edited by Vitaliy Kiselev; 04-16-2010 at 09:48 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tester13 View Post
    In reality I think it can be impossible.
    Camera just read proper resolution to show on screen, special resolution.
    Have all processes running.
    And as soon as recording starts it now read data using different resolution, so processor (or DSP) must rescale it to proper resolution (and I believe it just can't). This is the reason for turning off video output.
    Most probably no artifical limitation here, it is just construction limitation.
    Hmmm...that explains why it has to do LCD and composite output at the same time, why it can't do viewfinder and composite output....interesting.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tester13 View Post
    Yes it'll be possible, only this function set frame rate for HD modes. You just need to change few bytes.
    But firmware digest generation is still not solved.

Don't know about region locking other then that it is purely artifical thing for long time.
    I believe that 720p 24fps is very interesting indeed.
    And if bitrate could be up to 28Mbps, picture will be fantastic.
    Yes. 1080/24p native would be great. Removing the pulldown from the 60i stream is a pain. 1080/24p should be equal or less throughput to, so it's certainly within the hardware limitations, whether or not it's possible for a hacker or even for Panasonic to do with the current way it's built is another matter..

4. Collapse Details
    Yes. 1080/24p native would be great. Removing the pulldown from the 60i stream is a pain. 1080/24p should be equal or less throughput to, so it's certainly within the hardware limitations, whether or not it's possible for a hacker or even for Panasonic to do with the current way it's built is another matter..
    Several of these types of 'requests', may not be doable due to the hardware choices that were made. My personal suspicion is that the chip used to 'encode' the stream was chosen because it was 'cheap', and all one had to do was chunk out the 24 fps outoftheimageprocessor frame in 'field' format...

The firmware that is the 'management' cpu uses has not much to do with the image processor, other than controlling registers, etc. Data pathways are most likely set in hardware... so things like 'live' HDMI output, etc, may be just not available because of the hardware.

If these are 'controllable' by the management processor, the reason why these 'unfortunate' choices were made, was most likely because the engineers were balancing 'power consumption' vs. 'battery capacity', and so, by running multiple internal data pathways, more power was consumed, and hence, shorter time for a given battery capacity...

And as we all know, power consumption means 'heat', so again, some pathways may not have been selected to minimize heat as well.

Perhaps the audio AGC thing is about the only really 'non issue', as in 'why the heck wasn't that an option in the first place...'...

5. Collapse Details
    But wouldn't 720 60p generate more heat than native 1080 24p? At least we know that on the 7D, it's like that.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by j1clark@ucsd.edu View Post
    Several of these types of 'requests', may not be doable due to the hardware choices that were made. My personal suspicion is that the chip used to 'encode' the stream was chosen because it was 'cheap', and all one had to do was chunk out the 24 fps outoftheimageprocessor frame in 'field' format...

The firmware that is the 'management' cpu uses has not much to do with the image processor, other than controlling registers, etc. Data pathways are most likely set in hardware... so things like 'live' HDMI output, etc, may be just not available because of the hardware.

If these are 'controllable' by the management processor, the reason why these 'unfortunate' choices were made, was most likely because the engineers were balancing 'power consumption' vs. 'battery capacity', and so, by running multiple internal data pathways, more power was consumed, and hence, shorter time for a given battery capacity...

And as we all know, power consumption means 'heat', so again, some pathways may not have been selected to minimize heat as well.

Perhaps the audio AGC thing is about the only really 'non issue', as in 'why the heck wasn't that an option in the first place...'...
    Certainly very possible that it's impossible. However, 1080/60i is more data per second than 1080/24p...although conceivably less data at any moment smaller than a second.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Camera Expert View Post
    But wouldn't 720 60p generate more heat than native 1080 24p? At least we know that on the 7D, it's like that.
    Since I don't know the internals of either camera, I can't really say why that would be the case. The document that the OP has on their site, seems to just document the CPU portion, and not the image processing portion.

8. Collapse Details
    Certainly very possible that it's impossible. However, 1080/60i is more data per second than 1080/24p...although conceivably less data at any moment smaller than a second.
    Looking in to a bit further, there was reference to 'the Venus Engine HD', and I could not find any docs online to be able to delve into what exactly is the 'engine' capabile of, other than the usual glossy brochure type statements...

One would probably have to get an NDA and a sympathetic sales/distributor to get any real engineering data on the device...

Companies these days that are targeting the 'consumer/massmarket' have almost no incentive to deal with small operations or individuals, even if those small companies or individuals could address very small groups, and be profitable.

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j1clark@ucsd.edu View Post
    Looking in to a bit further, there was reference to 'the Venus Engine HD', and I could not find any docs online to be able to delve into what exactly is the 'engine' capabile of, other than the usual glossy brochure type statements...
    If you try to read carefully, you could find documents on used CPU core. Venus Engine is just marketing name for proprieraty LSI, same is true for any camera manufacturer.

Most other your theories are just plain wrong.

10. Collapse Details
    Hey if anyone can bump up the bit rate a even just to 21 and change the panny battery only junk.
    I will gladly donate to you for your efforts.

I would like to say thanks in advance for those much smarter than me working on this (even if nothing pans out).

Page 4 of 306 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast