Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Hi guys...I know you guys love to hear from actors too...since we eventually turn your words in the magic that is on screen...hah!

Anyway, it is a tough situation to ask that you have the right to give the script to anyone, anytime...if a filmmaker goes through the trouble, time and expense to put a film together they should have all exclusivity to that script...it's little bit mean to go and offer it to someone else after that....which I think is the main reason why a lot of writers keep their scripts so tightly held under their hats.

If you are maybe worried about not getting credit for the script you've written, I'm sure you will definitely get credit where credit is due!

Maybe you feel that someone may not do justice to your script if you give all rights away to it?...I know lots of writers feel that way sometimes, but I'm sure any filmmaker you collaborate with will be more than happy to help realize your vision!

Well, whatever your reasons...perhaps taking the advice of some of the more seasoned filmmakers and contributors will go a long way to helping you along with your mission.

Best of luck!

Jessica Sinclair
    Actor

2. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John LaBonney View Post
    Hey bro, Rodney is THE MAN. His level of success and skill in short filmmaking is at a bar I endeavor to reach, and you'd be better off trying to make him your friend rather than insulting him. It looks to me like he's trying to share the benefits of his experience with you by suggesting ways that would help your script be more appealing to filmmakers. Don't agree with him? That's fine. But throwing insults at him doesn't fly with me.

John
    Thanks John. There goes my ego inflating way up now.

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

3. Collapse Details
    That's why people need contracts/releases. Some people I deal with hem-n-haw, but these things are there to protect the director and their investment as much as anything else.

So don't work without them. And if you don't like the terms talk them out.

That's why I require them. It protects the director more than it really protects me. It clearly states who has rights to what and 'laugh laugh' any money that will change hands, etc. This way there is no miscommunication/misunderstanding/hurt feelings/wasted time/wasted effort/etc.etc.etc.

If this guy really wants to give non-exclusive rights to shoot, (so you risk having someone else shoot the film at the same time), well sign up/negotiate/or walk away. Everyone has their own terms, us writers are always eating our own, so you'll find someone willing to give away a story.

Yes Rodney us writers do work on our craft, sure it's just a start of a film just like a fetus was just the start of Rodney. Where would you be without it? I know how much time, effort, and money directors/producers put into a film, but we give our babies/time away from family/late nights/hollow rejections away to potentially see them mangled. So my clause of keeping the rights to the story keeps the carnage from getting worse, especially when my names on it.

Luckily I've only been really disappointed once.

That script is being shot again by another director right now. He is fully aware that it was shot a couple years ago and actually pursued me to get the rights.

I guess what I'm saying is have a contract you are both happy with. It is show BUSINESS. After all that's done go out and make a damn great film.

P.s. I have a couple scripts up for grab. One will surely tickle your fancy.
    Last edited by Chris_Keaton; 04-12-2010 at 10:58 PM.
    Chris Keaton - Writer | Website | Email | imdb |

4. Collapse Details
    Hey Chris I'm totally with you there. Believe me I don't do anything without a contract (well nothing that's binding) but don't forget I'm also a writer. I know the effort and time it takes to put into a script and then the multiple head-pounding rewrites until the script is firing on all cylinders. And Ive had a couple of my scripts produced not to my full satisfaction, but I've also screwed up my own work.

I'm just saying that writers (especially inexperienced writers) need to take into consideration how much they themselves do not have to undertake and why the business is structured as it is. Sure get a contract, but be aware of who' actually dong the spending and turning your pretty words into pretty pictures.

5. Collapse Details
    Amen.

Let's eat.

6. Collapse Details

7. Collapse Details
    sry my attitude drew you off, I was defending myself

8. Collapse Details
    so i guess no one is going to be happy unless i give one person exclusive rights to my material.

sure fine
    take it
    i dont care anymore
    that's what I was planning on doing anyways
    and maybe this misunderstanding is my fault
    "After the script has been sent to you, you do not own the material but are allowed to use it, the distribution of the script is at my discretion (meaning I can send it to whomever I like and how ever many times)"
    this is what all the rage is right now
    everyone pissing their pants about this
    my goodness well lets see
    i stated clearly I can send it to whomever I want
    I have no idea if these people i send it to are going to make the film or not unless they get back to me
    im just trying to help for christ's sake by throwing a script to some ppl who are interested in making a movie but having a hard time writing or finding writers

I'm so tired of all this slamming and then apologies and then reappearances or criticisms and 3rd parties who MUST BE HEARD and must establish that we do things a certain way around here and thats the way its been done and that's the way it'll always be...

Rodney might be the man but to me he came off blunt and rude and controlling. Not my fault, he isn't a moderator or administrator so if I get some strange demands from a member then i'm allowed to throw my ten cents back in and criticize him back.

When you post something on here and someone doesn't take the time to articulate to you in a way that doesn't sound like they're going to kick your ass what do you say?

So what's the point of this forum?
    I came on here with good intentions.
    I just wanted to help out by throwing out some pages, and as far as editing and what not

JOHN "You expect a filmmaker to dedicate the next three months turning your script into a movie, but leave him some major rewriting work to do to fit it into the required time frame, and then you also insist on being made aware of the changes necessary to fix your material. Writing is rewriting; seems to me that if you can find the time to write a script, you can certainly find time to rewrite it to a point where it's usable for this fest."

I don't expect anything John. I don't expect 3 months, I don't expect a week, I don't expect money, I expected credit and some information about modifications to the original material
    as far as major rewriting you're assuming a lot considering you haven't read the script. And don't assume for one minute that you know my schedule or have any clue as to what's going on in my life. Just because I had 6 hours one day to kill, doesn't mean that I have 6 hours the next day, week, or month even. Why do you think I haven't logged on in the last few days? Busy? Yeah I would say so.
    and i don't expect people to comment on conversations that they weren't apart of either, but I guess I should have seen that coming

Nobody that's commented on here has read the script so most of this is a buncha hoopla

so far Chris has been the only one on here with any understanding and not ready to kick my teeth in cause I'm not doing things his way.

CHRIS "That script is being shot again by another director right now. He is fully aware that it was shot a couple years ago and actually pursued me to get the rights.
    I guess what I'm saying is have a contract you are both happy with. It is show BUSINESS. After all that's done go out and make a damn great film."

Contractual agreements sound like a great idea Chris, wish i would've come up with that myself, could of saved me a lot of grief from dealing with this

Thank you
    Last edited by tpludow; 04-18-2010 at 05:34 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSeth View Post
    Wow. I was going to ask to check out your script but your tone and attitude drew me off. I suck as a filmmaker so I'd probably ruin your script lol but good luck finding a director. I would never work with a writer on those conditions you described. The only right you have to making those conditions (ethically) is if you paid for the production.
    and as far as my attitude concerns you, you dont really have to work with me wink* wink* you just take the script shoot the script send me a copy on some sort of medium and you're done
    i'd doubt you'd ruin it
    we all get better with each failure and or try
    and even if you did
    you think I'd be upset?
    I wouldn't care
    i'd just be interested in your interpretation
    especially rodney's

10. Collapse Details
    Yep. I think you were just misunderstood.

No one's expecting you to exclusively only let them see a script. All they are really doing is reading it. Once they think they want to shoot it, then you talk agreements.

I have several people looking at my scripts now. Normally I can send them to 6 people before one expresses interest in shooting. So if you are only sending it to one person at a time, then odds are you won't find the right person, anytime soon.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast