Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    yeah sounds like a good idea

2. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tpludow View Post
    yeah sounds like a good idea
    See you in the fest dude. I really do hope your script gets produced. Sincerely.

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

3. Collapse Details
    C'mon, someone has to take this now!

Sony FS700
    My Vimeo

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepfocus88 View Post
    C'mon, someone has to take this now!
    take what now?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney V. Smith View Post
    See you in the fest dude. I really do hope your script gets produced. Sincerely.
    thank you
    yours too
    you come off as though you have exp so you'll probably run a tight ship and do well
    i can dig it

6. Collapse Details
    Writing for dvxuser fests is a great way to get started in this community, and it's one of the ways I got involved here. I've been lucky enough not only to have numerous scripts of mine picked up and turned into films for several dvxuser fests, but through those projects have created valuable relationships with filmmakers and writers.

You are certainly correct in saying that you can create any conditions you want relating to the use of your work, but I totally agree with Rodney that your conditions should be a major stopper for a member that's out there looking for material for the fest. I certainly wouldn't want to make a film just to find out that others are using the same script, regardless of the artistic and interpretive differences that would result from different directors and actors. There is a festival circuit out there after dvxuser, and many members will put their movies out there. I wouldn't want to bump up against the same script in a festival later, or even worse end up not being accepted because the script was too similar to another film in that fest.

It's hard enough to make an original short film. We're all struggling to make movies, and I've found that the membership here for the most part very freely gives help to each others' projects in an effort to learn, grow, and create relationships.

I've put conditions on the use of my material as well. But all I ask for is screen credit, the creation of a discussion thread on the board, and a good-faith effort of the filmmaker to make the movie. I give him control over the material and the movie, and give the script to him for his exclusive use. I offer to do rewrites if he likes, or to stay out of the project from that point on. As I said, you can make any conditions you want, it's your work, but I agree that your chances of getting the script picked up for production are greatly reduced given the requirements you've set forth.

I believe I could probably knock it down to about 7 and 1/2 pages, I wrote this in 6 hours on a whim, life is complex, life is busy (like everyone else) but I do not have the amount of time I would like to dedicate to film, so I'm leaving a portion of the 'cutting' to interested parties who would bring it to life.
    You expect a filmmaker to dedicate the next three months turning your script into a movie, but leave him some major rewriting work to do to fit it into the required time frame, and then you also insist on being made aware of the changes necessary to fix your material. Writing is rewriting; seems to me that if you can find the time to write a script, you can certainly find time to rewrite it to a point where it's usable for this fest.

You didn't seem to just be "pointing out" anything when you tell me and start off your response with, that I HAVE TO "Rewrite AND rethink" my posting and you're not a moderator. That doesn't sound like advice that comes off as a command.

and I love how you say"we" as if you speak for everyone.

You come off as a control freak on this board.

And hard to work with me?...Idk, I could of sworn I was just posting a script up for grabs for anyone who asked...so difficult to work with by giving out writing? Strange that doesn't sound like difficulty. I don't remember being difficult until you came around 'trolling' off to me as to what I am and am not supposed to do.

and god damn this whole double-dipping thing
    ok look you simple minded know it all internet god
    Hey bro, Rodney is THE MAN. His level of success and skill in short filmmaking is at a bar I endeavor to reach, and you'd be better off trying to make him your friend rather than insulting him. It looks to me like he's trying to share the benefits of his experience with you by suggesting ways that would help your script be more appealing to filmmakers. Don't agree with him? That's fine. But throwing insults at him doesn't fly with me.

John
    John LaBonney
    Director, Dam Short Film Festival
    www.damshortfilm.org
    john@johnlabonney.com
    (702) 769-5902

7. Collapse Details
    You didn't seem to just be "pointing out" anything when you tell me and start off your response with, that I HAVE TO "Rewrite AND rethink" my posting and you're not a moderator. That doesn't sound like advice that comes off as a command.

and I love how you say"we" as if you speak for everyone.

You come off as a control freak on this board.

And hard to work with me?...Idk, I could of sworn I was just posting a script up for grabs for anyone who asked...so difficult to work with by giving out writing? Strange that doesn't sound like difficulty. I don't remember being difficult until you came around 'trolling' off to me as to what I am and am not supposed to do.

and god damn this whole double-dipping thing
    ok look you simple minded know it all internet god

Imagine someone wrote the Schindler's list the script ok? Then someone gave it to Michael Bay to make, then someone gave it to Spielberg...do you think those films would be that similar? POINT BEING, directors, actors, everyone have different paradigms, therefore when they attempt to interpret and create something, that something tends to be shaped differently. IS there a strong likelihood that the film's overall story arc would be almost identical, yes of course! Would the two films feel completely different? Probably so. As a matter of fact I'd put money on it. So maybe you're not understanding what I'm doing exactly, or maybe you simply can't understand, or won't because it's not the way things are done. If film has taught people anything it's to be innovators, and that it is subject to massive interpretation as a moving art.

Wow. I was going to ask to check out your script but your tone and attitude drew me off. I suck as a filmmaker so I'd probably ruin your script lol but good luck finding a director. I would never work with a writer on those conditions you described. The only right you have to making those conditions (ethically) is if you paid for the production.

8. Collapse Details
    4. After the script has been sent to you, you do not own the material but are allowed to use it, the distribution of the script is at my discretion (meaning I can send it to whomever I like and how ever many times)
    this stipulation will be your biggest obstacle in finding someone to take it. good luck.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ugafan View Post
    this stipulation will be your biggest obstacle in finding someone to take it. good luck.
    Not sure what the deal is? I send my script to tons of people. The first one to agree to my terms and signs a release gets it.

If the film is made and sucks arse...after some time I may offer it up to be shot again.

I guess if he means he's allowing multiple people to shoot the script at the same time, then yes I agree that's a pretty dumb clause.
    Chris Keaton - Writer | Website | Email | imdb |

10. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    I have to chime in here and face wrathful abuse again, but to hell with it: a director or producer comes along and likes your script enough to say that "hey I wanna shoot thing thing. I'm going to put up my own money, hire all the actors, rent the crew and put in all of the time to develop the project, shoot it, and then spend a lot of time in post fixing the edit, the cound, hiring the composer.. getting all of these pieces together that actually MAKE the movie..."

Writers who are never on set do not ever understand how much else goes into the production of an actual movie. The script is only a starting point. It forms the basis of the idea and often needs work before it is even ready to go in front of a camera. So finding a writer who is actually willing to go through the necessary steps to get it to that stage.. even before the rest of production begins... well that's a very useful thing. But to have a writer say that you can't have the exclusive rights to a script that the director now has to go and spend his own money on (or raise funds for, either way he's responsible for it).. well you gotta be literally out of your minds.

Sorry if I'm "trolling" here or being a "control-freak" but an education is in order. We independent film makers do not have money to spare and even if we do, we like to make sure our investment is protected.

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast