Hybrid View

1. Collapse Details
    HPX370 First Look
    HPX370 - First Look
    by Barry Green

Click here to read the full article

2. Collapse Details
    Wow, that was quick!

Nice write-up. I can't wait to see it on some show-room floors.

3. Collapse Details
    How about DOF? And Bokeh? One thing I liked about the EX3 1/2 chips was the bigger control of DOF. True, the HPX300 has a bigger zoom, but the 1/3 chips still lose on this department. I tried the HPX300 and the EX1, and on that generation of cameras, the EX1 clearly had more control over DOF.
    Sérgio Perez
    Macanese Director
    http://vimeo.com/user1503556

4. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPZ View Post
    How about DOF? And Bokeh? One thing I liked about the EX3 1/2 chips was the bigger control of DOF. True, the HPX300 has a bigger zoom, but the 1/3 chips still lose on this department. I tried the HPX300 and the EX1, and on that generation of cameras, the EX1 clearly had more control over DOF.
    "Yeah, but the EX has 1/2-inch chip".

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky View Post
    "Yeah, but the EX has 1/2-inch chip".
    It seems like this comment of 1/2 chips vs 1/3 is a minor difference, but it clearly is not. Aren't 1/3 chip cameras certified Bronze, independent of the codec they record, for Discovery or National Geo programming? Or am I mistaken?
    Sérgio Perez
    Macanese Director
    http://vimeo.com/user1503556

6. Collapse Details
    1/3 vs 1/2 is just a half of stop diff.

7. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Is Panasonic's U.L.T. equivalent to Sony's backlighted Exmor R? If this is true, then the EX still can be improved, because current EX models have the basic Exmor chip. EX1R was supposed to have Exmor R chip, it does not. But rumors are that Sony will soon unveil a new model in the EX family with the backlighted chip, and the status quo will be restored.

I am no Sony's fanboy, but there's no replacement for displacement. With all things being equal bigger chip wins, and I have no reason to believe that Panasonic has better technology than Sony.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky View Post
    Is Panasonic's U.L.T. equivalent to Sony's backlighted Exmor R? If this is true, then the EX still can be improved, because current EX models have the basic Exmor chip. EX1R was supposed to have Exmor R chip, it does not. But rumors are that Sony will soon unveil a new model in the EX family with the backlighted chip, and the status quo will be restored.

I am no Sony's fanboy, but there's no replacement for displacement. With all things being equal bigger chip wins, and I have no reason to believe that Panasonic has better technology than Sony.
    Regarding, “all things being equal bigger chip wins, and I have no reason to believe that Panasonic has better technology than Sony.”

Well, all things are not equal. Panasonic’s new ULT-based imager significantly reduces the noise floor, which has been an industry issue with MOS-based imagers. In addition, it increases the sensitivity. This is what causes the 370s performance to meet or even exceed ½” camcorders. What causes the 370 to really exceed performance of those EX camcorders is the built-in full resolution AVC-Intra codec. All things are NOT equal. There’s obviously different cameras out there for different budgets, though the 370 is an incredible value in that it includes AVC-Intra and is selling in the $10k price range (and less with some resellers).

9. Collapse Details
    true.
    better competition, better products.
    win win for us
    Now if panny releases this sensor on a hpx170 body... it will be better than the EX1

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dcloud View Post
    Now if panny releases this sensor on a hpx170 body... it will be better than the EX1
    My viewpoint on this is: Panasonic mostly uses CCDs with lower resolution, and uses pixel shifting to achieve the standard HD resolutions. JVC does the same things (but different up conversion method). However, more of that resolution is kept as the camera compresses it, since Panasonic has some of the highest quality compression formats available in cameras under 100k.

Sony advertises its cameras as full raster because they use full raster CMOS chips. Allows them to advertise more actual "resolution", but since they use old MPEG-2 based compression formats (except for their HDCAM-SR format), a lot of that resolution is lost.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast