Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
  1. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    I'm a little late so I won't point out everything that's been touched on. I did like the way this ended. Really nicely done for a first film, I'm impressed. I bet you learned a lot on this one and it was a tough Fest to jump into.

Again, I liked the idea behind the story. Especially the oacis cemetery. Very cool.

MAH

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

2. Collapse Details
    Richard - thank you, I hope to be hitting closer to your level of execution next time I do this.

Dre - Yeah, I crossed the line a few times. It's funny, I had read that rule so many times and thought it was so ingrained in my head it wouldn't be a problem. Turns out it's a lot easier to do than I thought. I was able to salvage most of it through flipping, but there's one I couldn't change, and it stands out pretty clear.

The audio was all ADR for two reasons. One, the location audio was pretty bad with all kinds of extraneous noises, and two - I lost all the original audio

MAH - thanks for your comments. You're right, I learned a lot. Mainly by screwing things up, but we got a couple things right too. I'm glad you liked the idea.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by 4100xpb View Post
    Richard - thank you, I hope to be hitting closer to your level of execution next time I do this.

Dre - Yeah, I crossed the line a few times. It's funny, I had read that rule so many times and thought it was so ingrained in my head it wouldn't be a problem. Turns out it's a lot easier to do than I thought. I was able to salvage most of it through flipping, but there's one I couldn't change, and it stands out pretty clear.

The audio was all ADR for two reasons. One, the location audio was pretty bad with all kinds of extraneous noises, and two - I lost all the original audio

MAH - thanks for your comments. You're right, I learned a lot. Mainly by screwing things up, but we got a couple things right too. I'm glad you liked the idea.
    Wel the ADR was not bad then

But when I look at it again (being more awake etc), I indeed have some "ADR feelings". Or that I know are not easy to boom. Or sound to "clean" to be boomed.
    But just minor... I think you have done it well.

Then about left right ... I think you made it a little to hard left (or righ).
    SOUND EDITING - SOUND DESIGN - AND ALSO SOUNDRECORDING

philipsfilmsound.com

4. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4100xpb View Post

No problem. You did more than a couple of things right! This was a great first effort. Just learn from the mistakes you did make and keep moving forward. Nobody here is perfect. We're all learning.

Cheers,

MAH

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

5. Collapse Details
    Wow, so I'm seeing that this is your first film and I have to hand it to you....all things considered you did pretty good. I'm not going to repeat what's already been said but I just wanted to tell you that you had an interesting concept here and give you kudos for making it into a film. Congrats!

6. Collapse Details
    Excellent first effort... good story...acting worked. There's always room for improvement, but that's what's great about being here
    in DVXLand, tons to learn. Really good job by cast & crew... you should all be proud.

7. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    Hey guys, I'm sure by now you've heard a lot of the same reviews, but I'm not reading the reviews first, just tell you what affected me most.

First off, you had a pretty good story and it played out well. Your actors were decent and they put their best foot forward. Good editing all around.

But the Locations absolutely killed you. It's the one thing that constantly took me out of the film and had me shaking my head wonderign why you simply didn;t frame it better... or better yet, drive a few miles out of town to a deserted area where it's dry, and shoot there. Instead we have a story that's trying to present itself as a place where water is so scarce unrine comes at a premium price. Without that "reality" imposed, what we have is a bizarre film where the actions don;t make any sense especially given the surroundings. I won't beat you up on this point, and I can see it's your first time (took a peek up above), so it's good you came out and created something. Next time, choose locations more carefully or have a backup script that IS written for the locations you do have access to.

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

Rodney, you won't get any arguments for me. All the places I scouted, inluding some a fair ways from town, had background issues. I figured if I'm going to have background problems, I might as well have them close to town.

My intention was to frame around it as best as possible, and was willing to put in a certain amount of wire removal and roto if necessary to clean things up. But as you can see in the heat of the day, I royally bunged that up. Sucks, but the lesson has been learned. Next time we'll get it.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678