Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Great locations. Good luck and LOL @ the banner.

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

2. Collapse Details
    Thanks Michael. The locations will take a bit of creativity framing and dressing wise to get the look I want, but I think the end result will turn out well. Everything is set now - shooting on Saturday. Get ready WestFest, Oasis is comin' attcha!

3. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4100xpb View Post
    Thanks Michael. The locations will take a bit of creativity framing and dressing wise to get the look I want, but I think the end result will turn out well. Everything is set now - shooting on Saturday. Get ready WestFest, Oasis is comin' attcha!
    Great. Looking forward to seeing some grabs!

BTW, the comment about the banner was directed towards Tunnelmen's...

MAH

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

4. Collapse Details
    That's a wrap
    Question
    Me at 2:00 AM this morning, six hours before we were scheduled to star shooting:

WPKBMAKEJFBALLALAAAAAAAAAAA

Me at 10:00 AM when we broke an ice machine and started flooding the restaurant we were doing the indoor scene at:

Ooohhhhhh F***

Me at 9:00 PM, five hours after photography was complete:

Totally brain dead.

I no longer believe movies are made by people. I think God comes down and strikes the prints himself. Details and pictures to follow.

5. Collapse Details
    Damn, drama! Hope you got everything you needed. Can't wait to see the pictures.

6. Collapse Details
    Screen Grabs are up!

7. Collapse Details
    Wow – what a crazy week.

Wednesday and Thursday – I was out of town for my Mother’s funeral service
    Friday – back home, finishing the props and costumes and checking the gear for tomorrow. Oh, and it was my wife’s birthday.
    Saturday – Shooting from 8:00 AM until ~4:00 PM on what would have been my mom’s 52nd birthday. Car broke down on the way to our outdoor location, so our actors had to push. Apparently this means I am a real filmmaker now.
    Sunday – Mother’s day, trying to make up to my wife for not paying enough attention to her on her birthday.

This was my first time ever filming a narrative. All my previous work has been documentary, so directing was quite new to me. Fitting in with our theme, here is the Good, the Bad and the Ugly of production.

The good:
    - Actors – The two that actually showed up were well prepared and solid. The sub-in did very well for himself as well. They had some great thoughts and insights into different ways we could play things, and were overall a treat to work with.
    - Crew – they were awesome. Everyone was willing to pitch in wherever I asked them to, learn new things, and were still enthusiastic even when they weren’t needed for an hour. Bless them all.
    - The dolly - I made a home-made dolly using a spare board, casters and some 1x6 tracks. When I tested the dolly, with no load it squeaked quite badly but with a bit of weight it was quiet. Fortunately the dolly was quiet for the shoot. I do wish I had picked up some longer tracks though.
    - Costumes – my wife did (in my opinion) an awesome job on the costumes. It’s not authentic, we stole a lot of tips from Marlon’s great thread, but I think they look great.
    - Weather – the weather was absolutely perfect, just what we were hoping for. I wish I could take credit for it, but I’ll give this one to God.

The bad:
    - Delegating – We didn’t really have any extra bodies, but different people were idle at different times – I could have got them to pitch in more with things like grip and set work than I did. It often felt like I was running around trying to get everything ready, and everyone was waiting on me – not how I really want to do things.
    - Get a DOP or at least a decent camera operator – I read about it and knew not to do it in my head, but in the interest of trying to keep things small I ran the camera myself. Now that I’ve done it once, I know to never do it again – way too much of my energy went to the camera and not enough went to the performance. Fortunately I had really solid actors who had their characters well in line with my vision, so I think it worked out okay.
    - One of three actors did not show up. Apparently he did get there about two hours late, by which point we had substituted him, so he left without even saying hi. The sub did a remarkably good job, all considering.
    - Audio quality – I haven’t listened to all the takes yet, but pulling good audio is going to be a challenge. During the indoor scene, we had the ice machine on for part of it, and random kitchen noises as well. Example: Actor says, “What the hell are you doing here?” DING DING, Order up! I think they were tenderizing meat for about an hour too. Outside had less background noise, but more wind and we didn’t have a proper windsock. Again, we tried to work around the wind, but there is only so much you can do.
    - Reflector – I made a DIY foil/foam-core reflector. It worked great on the interior shots. Only I forgot it at the restaurant, so we didn’t have it outside where it would have been very handy as well.
    - A bazillion newbie mistakes, primarily around not clearing the frame before rolling. Not too many boom poles showed up but lots of other oddities did. My favourite was panning across to follow an actor and having a “Diva Girls” drag queen show poster land squarely (and legibly) in the frame.

The ugly:
    - We were shooting in a restaurant with an ice machine in the bar. It was quite noisy, so we tried turning it off and accidentally broke the drain pipe off. Lots of water on the floor ensued. Fortunately, one of the workers at the restaurant was able to fix it. We paid for his time, naturally, and cleaned up the mess, but I still feel like crap about it.

What’s next:
    Now comes the editing. We’ve got some great post crew helping out, so I’m trying for picture lock by the end of May to give them as much time as possible to do the sound design and music. I have a bit of VFX to do, although I did shoot and will edit with the intention of minimizing that. Also, I need a few pick-up shots, but mostly static shots of scenes and props, so there should be no problem getting those.

Having never made narrative before, the thing I’m happiest to say is I did it - in less than six weeks I wrote and produced what I hope will be a respectable entry in the fest. I joined DVXuser in the middle of betrayalfest, and wasn’t by comfortable joining in then. But I promised myself I would do the next fest no matter what it was. I was surprised the western theme, but excited as I probably would never have made a western otherwise.

I am also happy to say I was one of the first to finish shooting, at least of those posting regularly here. And based on the posts in Troy’s thread, I think I beat him by an hour or two;). But also based on those posts, I’m thinking he got a lot more done and did it a lot better than I. I’m excited to see everyones’ entries – it’s going to be a long two months until I can see them.

I put some screen grabs above. I have some BTS stills coming, but my photographer decided to take off to Ontario the day after shooting, so I have to hunt him down next week.

8. Collapse Details
    BTS Stills

Poor Brad - he originally came along to get some location sound, but ended up being cast when one of the actors didn't show up. He did really well for himself.

Bottles bottles everywhere.

Aerial shot! And the mop we used to clean up the flood.

Darren brought his best hair for the shoot.

Mike taking a drink.

Mike taking another drink.

9. Collapse Details
    "Darren brought his best hair for the shoot"

sorry that just hit me funny!!

10. Collapse Details
    Nice grabs and bts pics. Sounds like you did a pretty good job improvising around the "bad".

Looking forward to seeing it.
    the writer formerly known as "Conlan Forever"

Need a short script?
    Have an idea? Want to collaborate? Contact me.

screenwriter75@yahoo.com

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast