Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dalethompson View Post
    Is there any way around the 4GB clip limit for the T2i? Or will the RC-6 remote (or another remote) allow me to keep on recording in 4GB clips (and eliminating me getting up to record again).
    I bought one of these for $3 a couple of years ago for my XSi. It starts and stops video just fine on either a T1i or T2i:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Remote-Control-f...mZ250589691349
    [T2i/550D] [17-55 IS USM] [Zoom H2] [HoodLoupe/HoodMAG 3.0]

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahK View Post
    Solution: 7D.

Noah
    I thought the 7D had the same limits.

3. Collapse Details
    Koui:

It stops and starts video though after the video mode (pressing the button) has been initiated, right? It wouldn't start the video mode on it's own or after the 4GB limit has been reached, correct?

-Dale

4. Collapse Details
    Dale, the RC-5 will start and stop video just like you were pressing the video record button on the camera. You still have to set the mode dial to Movie.

You'd either press stop on the remote near the end of the 12mins and press start again for another 12mins, or let the camera stop by itself at the end of the 12mins and press start again on the remote.
    [T2i/550D] [17-55 IS USM] [Zoom H2] [HoodLoupe/HoodMAG 3.0]

5. Collapse Details
    Sweet!

That's all I needed to know, I never really got a definitive answer for this before from someone on the T2i, thanks for clarifying this for me.

At least it solves the awkwardness of getting up after a question to reset everything... now I can just time it out and end one question, pause, stop & start the video mode and continue on.

I'm assuming the RC-6 does this too... do you know what's the difference between the remotes in the RC series?

Thanks,
    Dale

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    How is the 7D a solution? It has the exact same 12-minute recording limitation.
    I'm assuming that he's referring to the option of capturing the HDMI-out signal.
    Current cameras: Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GH2 | Sony HDR-SR11 (infrared modded)

7. Collapse Details
    No, Barry is absolutely correct, it's 4GB maximum for the 7D just like the T2i:

"The maximum video file size is 4GB. This isn't so much a limitation of the camera as a limitation of the FAT32 file system which is used to store data on the CF memory card. FAT32 is used on most Windows PCs and 4GB is the maximum size allowed for any single data file in the FAT32 system. With the 7D video, 4GB is enough to record for about 12 minutes. You can record any number of 4GB video files on a card, so you can record about 48 minutes of HD video on a 16GB CF card, but you have to do it in 12 minutes segments. In SD (640x480) mode you can record up to 30 minutes minutes in any one file." - Bob Atkins (bobatkins.com)

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dalethompson View Post
    No, Barry is absolutely correct, it's 4GB maximum for the 7D just like the T2i:

"The maximum video file size is 4GB. This isn't so much a limitation of the camera as a limitation of the FAT32 file system which is used to store data on the CF memory card. FAT32 is used on most Windows PCs and 4GB is the maximum size allowed for any single data file in the FAT32 system. With the 7D video, 4GB is enough to record for about 12 minutes. You can record any number of 4GB video files on a card, so you can record about 48 minutes of HD video on a 16GB CF card, but you have to do it in 12 minutes segments. In SD (640x480) mode you can record up to 30 minutes minutes in any one file." - Bob Atkins (bobatkins.com)
    I don't think that you understood my post.

The 7D is unique among Canon HDSLRs in that the HDMI-out signal stays in 1080i while recording, instead of switching to 480p. This allows you to capture the signal with a BlackMagic card or a nanoFlash. The actual usable video, even after deinterlacing, is not 1080p, more like 720p because of letterboxing and overlays.

I know the 7D very well, since I used to own one (which I pre-ordered the night that it was announced), and about half of my DVXuser post count is in the 7D forums.
    Current cameras: Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GH2 | Sony HDR-SR11 (infrared modded)

9. Collapse Details
    someone should get the balls to hack one of these cameras and switch off 4gb limit
    -Jamie
    Canon 5d MkIII/Canon 5d MkII/Canon 16-35 2,8L USM/Sigma 50 1,4/Canon 70-200 2,8L USM/Canon 15 2,8 Fisheye/

10. Collapse Details
    ...and introduce more problems for us to complain about (why does it overheat so much more often now?!?!)

Kegan
    "I dream for a living" - Steven Spielberg

IMDb Page

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast