Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Jurors panel!!! Fantastic 4 announced
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    (3/24/10 - Edited to add Continuity Note: Juror slots were initially blank with only the "lips are sealed" smiley after each bullet ( ). After teasing folks for a few days, the names were filled in.)

Surprise.

We put together a killer panel for you!

They're fantastic and there are 4 of them, hence the moniker: Fanatastic 4.

• CHRISTOPHER HOLLAND author of FILM FESTIVAL SECRETS! *
    • EMILY DOE of WHOLPHIN DVD *
    • TODD LUOTO, FILMMAKER and SHORTS PROGRAMMER for SUNDANCE & CINEVEGAS *
    • PAUL SBRIZZI, FILMMAKER and SHORTS PROGRAMMER for SLAMDANCE *
    We'll announce the results of the Juror's panel on 4/1 just to keep you guessing if we actually got people this awesome or not

*Neither DVXuser FEST nor BETRAYAL FEST are officially affiliated with SUNDANCE, SLAMDANCE, WHOLPHIN DVD, or FILM FESTIVAL SECRETS. DVXuser FEST / BETRAYAL FEST are not a SUNDANCE, SLAMDANCE, WHOLPHIN DVD, or FILM FESTSIVAL SECRETS event.

*In otherwords, all Juror's are participating as individuals, not representing any group or organization. Except maybe for CHRISTOPHER HOLLAND who is FILM FESTIVAL SECRETS and has been known to "represent".
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

2. Collapse Details
    CHRISTOPHER HOLLAND author of FILM FESTIVAL SECRETS!

To say Chris Holland wrote a book that well help you get into and navigate the waters of major film festivals would be an understatement.

I first became aware of Chris and his great book when he was on a panel at Slamdance in Janurary 2009. I used it when preparing for SXSW this year. When I saw that he was heading a panel at SXSW this year regarding festival strategies for short films, it was one of the first things added to my calendar.

Chris has also taken the new, much discussed, method of indie distro for films - sell it AND give it away for free - and applied it to his book. You can purchase a hard copy OR you can download the PDF for free at his website.

He has also donated 6 hard copies as prizes!

WWW.FILMFESTIVALSECRETS.COM
    _
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM

3. Collapse Details
    EMILY DOE of WHOLPHIN DVD!
    A wholphin is a hybrid dolphin and whale, of which there are two in captivity.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wholphin

It's also a super cool quarterly DVD magazine of rare and unseen SHORT FILMS!
    (you know like the ones we make)

EMILY DOE is the super cool Associate Editor and Producer of said quarterly DVD magazine of rare and unseen short films which is published by McSweeney's.

She's also on the board of LunaFest, the traveling film festival by, for and about women, and has also worked with the San Francisco Film Society.

She sees a lot of short films folks and yet remains eager to see more.

WWW.WHOPLHINDVD.COM

Preview Wholphin films in the YouTube Screening Room the new curated section of high-quality short content on YouTube.

WHOLPHIN

McSWEENEY'S

THE BELIEVER
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM

4. Collapse Details
    TODD LUOTO: FILMMAKER / SHORTS PROGRAMMER for SUNDANCE & CINEVEGAS!
    Todd's experience and credentials are impressive. From a former stint at Miramax, to current shorts programmer for Sundance and filmmaker in his own right screening at other major festivals.

Todd personally saw 1,800 of the 6000 short films submitted to Sundance this year

And he's decided to squeeze in a few more for us. I don't know Todd well, at all, really. But from all accounts he seems like a very generous person. "I bet Todd would do it," said a few in the know before a total stranger (me) walked up to him and asked him to watch our films.

As a reminder, Todd's generous participation here should in no way imply that this event is affiliated with Sundance, or that he is in anyway representing Sundance.

Here's his official bio:

Todd Luoto is a Chapman University film school graduate. After a tenure with Miramax/Dimension Films, he worked as a journalist for Kodak. Since 2006, Luoto has served as a Shorts Programmer for the Sundance Film Festival, and in 2008, he also began programming for the CineVegas Film Festival. Luoto is also a filmmaker himself, his last film having screened at the Tribeca Film festival, AFI Film Festival, Dallas International Film festival, among others.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM

5. Collapse Details
    PAUL SBRIZZI: FILMMAKER and SHORTS PROGRAMMER for SLAMDANCE!
    Knowing that SLAMDANCE is the film festival made by filmmakers for filmmakers it should serve as no surprise that in addition to programming shorts for Slamdance Paul is also a filmmaker and runs a screenwriting group in L.A.

I do know Paul a bit from the week I spent at SLAMDANCE last year and he is a very very nice guy. He also has impeccable taste. I know this because he passed the most accurate and important taste indicator test there is - he programmed and was complimentary of one of my shorts.

I'll make a small confession that SLAMDANCE is my favorite film festival that I've attended as a filmmaker. I definitely have enjoyed the others! But, especially for nobody shorts filmmakers, there is just so much hand-holding, personal instruction, match-making networking etc. SLAMDANCE staff members like Paul are a big reason for that.

Of course I've not had a chance to compare it to SUNDANCE yet (hint, hint).

I don't have the stats for this year but last year Paul saw 1000+ of the 4000+ shorts submitted to SlAMDANCE, and yet he too has agreed to see a few more for us. These guys must either like what they do or really support aspiring and emerging filmmakers. Probably a little bit of both.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM

6. Collapse Details
    Do they review top ten or all? I'll delete if you need more room!

7. Collapse Details
    reserved for reaction to juror info ---

8. Collapse Details
    Ffs!!!

9. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    And the snickerfit begins.... very soon...

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmcleod View Post
    Do they review top ten or all? I'll delete if you need more room!
    They've been asked just to view and rate the top ten.

And here's your first hint as to who some of these folks are.

They see. Thousands .... thousands of short films every year. So it's tough to ask them to watch many more. They have certainly been given a link to all the submitted shorts if they want to check them out on their own though.

Also, first post updated with when the results of the jurors panel will be released - April 1st, just to keep you wondering if we're for real or not
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast