Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmcleod View Post
    Hey I was just wondering if we were allowed to post our final positions and avg ratings here. Like obviously if you don't want to you don't have to, but for the people who don't mind and would like to see how the other films stacked up would it be okay for us to post our rating and position? Asking the mods here I guess. Dunno if it's in the rules, don't know if anyone wants to share, but I would!

Okay everyone seems to be cool so I was 12th with an avg. of 6.49

So if we measure that against IMDB that puts me on par with Cabin Fever... haha

LIST SO FAR...
    12. Cleaned Out - 6.49
    13. The Charl(Y)ie Factor - 6.41
    14. Mirror Mirror - 6.18
    16. myPhone - 6.16
    18. Facade - 6.15
    20. Acceptable Losses - 6
    21. Requiem - 5.89
    22. Stretched - 5.87
    23. Taking Advantage - 5.8
    25. Deceivers - 5.79
    26. For Your Own Safety - 5.74
    27. Churhi - 5.72
    28. Hunter's Earth - 5.61
    30. Circles - 5.21
    34. Breach Of Faith - 4.87
    35. Look Back and Laugh - 4.84
    36. Mole - 4.75
    42. The Kiss That Kills - 3.86
    44. Salvation - 3.79
    46. Rusty - 3.65
    maybe i'm missing something... but where do i find out what my ranking is? am i supposed to get an email?

2. Collapse Details
    send them a PM... and just ask.. they'll let you know...

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MSpencer View Post
    send them a PM... and just ask.. they'll let you know...
    haha ok. thank you

4. Collapse Details
    Voices from the Dark was 7.30

Red and the Wolf was 7.29, so technically I ranked .01 higher this time.

Baby steps.

AJ Brooks - Writer / Director

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodLuck View Post
    Well I deleted my post thinking It would come across as me bashing people since nobody responded to what I said. I don't want to be the online jerk.

I guess I'll repost it....

I think it gets back to what people want to watch without being forced to watch it. Many people are watching things because they are encouraged to. If you look at the top 10, they are for the most part enjoyable somewhat mainstream concepts that people would check out if they didn't have to. They'd also get pretty great word of mouth.

Dead Drop - dougspice (action film with an explosion)
    LAWLESS - Marlon Ladd (western hero, good guy wins)
    Little Voice - Alex Jeffery (hears a voice, love wins in the end)
    Occupational Hazards - Tim Joy (funny buddy cone comedy)
    ROM - Ben Sliker (sci-fi father/son film)
    The Dinner Guest - DC Ninjas (twisted boy meets family tale)
    The Indispensable Chaucer - jared.c.rogers (suspenseful drama)
    The Slice - lyonfilms (professional Jim Henson styled puppet comedy)
    Voices From The Dark - AJ Brooks (suspenseful drama)
    xepoj - namelok (cinematic foreign love story)

For the most part the people that are suppose to win, do win in the end. You're left with a good feeling. It's when you leave people with anything other than that good feeling, you are breaking some unwritten rule on storytelling.

I think if you choose to go outside of the above, you have to do it because you really love and want to tell the story regardless of its wide acceptance or not.

Many people that come home from a long day at work/school don't want to come home and watch a movie about someone cutting themself. Or conspiracy theories or about a space guy who dies in the end. They want that happy ending. Those stories aren't mainstream and in many ways the votes show what sells and why Hollywood doesn't make those types of films as much.
    I don't agree in this case. I think most of the top films are there because they were well made, not because they had some positive "hollywood" ending. I don't think it matters what kind of story you are telling as long as you're gripping the audience.

Think of a classic storyteller. Picture someone around a campfire using their hands, modulating their voice, ya know really engaging the listeners. If the storyteller started talking about a man being lost in space it could be very interesting. But just setting up a scenario where a man gets lost in space isn't as interesting as that man actually being lost in space. What did he go through? Why do we care? But no, what did the story do? It set up the scenario, and ended with the poor SOB being launched into space. I thought it was comical. There's "leaving things open ended" and then there's "leaving the plot bleeding to death with a giant hole" A better balance would have been 10% setup of how/why the guy was abandoned in space, and 90% his struggle. Did he get cold? Did he run out of food/water? Did he contemplate his life? What must have gone through his head being so isolated and perhaps being more isolated than any human being has ever been? These are all interesting questions, unfortunately not covered.

It's like taking a photo of dirt instead of the flower. You have to focus on what is the most interesting. Perhaps you are part of some esoteric group that has a fetish for dirt, but 999 times out of 1000 people will say they like the flower better.

You can put your beret and turtle neck on, and claim everyone doesn't appreciate your story, or you can write a better story. You could write an amazing script, and if it's not directed well it would suck. You could read The Little Engine That Could, and if you're a monotone, you're going to bore the $hit out of some little kid. It's about how you tell a story. On the other hand you could have an adequate to good, halfway decent script and be a brilliant storyteller, eg. David Lynch. Have some Joe Schmoe direct Mulholland Dr. and you'd get utter junk.

The examples you listed aren't good ones. ROM was not a positive story. It was a pretty tragic one. The Dinner Guest was not a pleasant feel good story at all. It was grotesque. They were both well made, well paced, and great entries.
    Music & Film : noct.us | Last.fm | Vimeo | isara.com

6. Collapse Details
    Good post, I agree...but damn I thought I had taken all my lumps lol

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Marshall View Post
    I don't agree in this case. I think most of the top films are there because they were well made, not because they had some positive "hollywood" ending. I don't think it matters what kind of story you are telling as long as you're gripping the audience.

Think of a classic storyteller. Picture someone around a campfire using their hands, modulating their voice, ya know really engaging the listeners. If the storyteller started talking about a man being lost in space it could be very interesting. But just setting up a scenario where a man gets lost in space isn't as interesting as that man actually being lost in space. What did he go through? Why do we care? But no, what did the story do? It set up the scenario, and ended with the poor SOB being launched into space. I thought it was comical. There's "leaving things open ended" and then there's "leaving the plot bleeding to death with a giant hole" A better balance would have been 10% setup of how/why the guy was abandoned in space, and 90% his struggle. Did he get cold? Did he run out of food/water? Did he contemplate his life? What must have gone through his head being so isolated and perhaps being more isolated than any human being has ever been? These are all interesting questions, unfortunately not covered.

It's like taking a photo of dirt instead of the flower. You have to focus on what is the most interesting. Perhaps you are part of some esoteric group that has a fetish for dirt, but 999 times out of 1000 people will say they like the flower better.

You can put your beret and turtle neck on, and claim everyone doesn't appreciate your story, or you can write a better story. You could write an amazing script, and if it's not directed well it would suck. You could read The Little Engine That Could, and if you're a monotone, you're going to bore the $hit out of some little kid. It's about how you tell a story. On the other hand you could have an adequate to good, halfway decent script and be a brilliant storyteller, eg. David Lynch. Have some Joe Schmoe direct Mulholland Dr. and you'd get utter junk.

The examples you listed aren't good ones. ROM was not a positive story. It was a pretty tragic one. The Dinner Guest was not a pleasant feel good story at all. It was grotesque. They were both well made, well paced, and great entries.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscurl View Post
    Dammit, even though I know how it ends...I want Acceptable Losses: The Feature

You could have flashbacks to when the main characters flew together in the Air Force or something.

Sony FS700
    My Vimeo

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscurl View Post
    I really don't think he was talking about 'Acceptable Losses'.
    Chris Keaton - Writer | Website | Email | imdb |

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213