Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Don't be paranoid about people downloading your film ... surrender to the reality because

if someone really wants your stuff they will use download helper plugin and then they have it anyway.

Better to put your logo on it and make sure they get a good copy. I support the download way this fest is run.
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

2. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    With the watring down of the critiques all across the board it seems, I get to be the bad guy since I haven't watered down anything at all. I've tried to do shorter reviews if anything, but that's not working out. Sometime I want to slap some of the reviewers who are just flat out beng nice to be nice for fear of vote reprisals or whatever. Thankfully there are a lot of non-entrants who are still completely honest in their reviews so that evens things out. But I still feel like the bad guy right now... kinda like there's a target on my back. It makes me feel like not getting through the rest of my reviews and only give the ones I really really like a review. But then that would defeat the whole purpose of these fests...

I still rememebr my first ever review from Kholi... changed my life. Broke my heart and made me own up to the fact that I couldn't get away with trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. it made me want to get better if only to show him...
    Last edited by Rodney V. Smith; 03-12-2010 at 05:29 PM.

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

3. Collapse Details
    I like the idea of being able to comment/review anonymously. A couple things to help "keep it civil" -
    1. The mods would know any anonymous posters identity
    2. Possibly link the anonymous option with the "50+ posts" option used to be allowed to vote. I have no idea what that entails on a code level, but just as an idea.
    I invented the "remove echo" audio filter. And only people that boom their actors closely get to use it.

Alex Donkle - Sound Designer -

4. Collapse Details
    I think there needs to be a musical score on the download page!

...give me a bouncy "C"....

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazaCast View Post
    I think there needs to be a musical score on the download page!

...give me a bouncy "C"....
    There's a song by Rick Astley that'd be awesome to have on the downloads page...
    I invented the "remove echo" audio filter. And only people that boom their actors closely get to use it.

Alex Donkle - Sound Designer -

6. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Chris_Marrs_Piliero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J Davis View Post
    Don't be paranoid about people downloading your film ... surrender to the reality because

if someone really wants your stuff they will use download helper plugin and then they have it anyway.

Better to put your logo on it and make sure they get a good copy. I support the download way this fest is run.

nah it's not about being paranoid of people downloading... there's a difference between someone downloading the version you want them to have vs the in-the-works version... and on top of that, a better compressed version, ya know... and also like i was saying about people sharing your film... way more chance of exposure if it's a viewable link that people can just be like, "hey, check out this short film" and bam, they click the link and watch it and then share it with their friends... instant gratification... as opposed to needing to download it...

Quote Originally Posted by ZazaCast View Post
    49 films is a lite fest... there's usually 70 films. You have a few weeks to watch and rate... the comments go on after the first round of votes. No worries.

I'm going to chime in on the download... I personally like that option. It allows me to put them all on a media player and watch on a big screen as well as on the computer without needing an internet connection. Some people have slow connections and can't view streaming video smoothly. I see your point and this has been talked about... the mods are looking for help...feel free to volunteer your services.
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=201896
    totally a valid point and with vimeo you have the option to make your film downloadable if you so desire to give people that option of viewing on their tv, so that's cool for those who want to allow that... and yeah, with 70 films, sweet lord... i'm sure there's a ton that don't get viewed or voted on...

I love my Canon 7D more than my own parents...

7. Collapse Details
    I think they are working on getting a streaming/online web version up for future fests. The benefit of sites like Vimeo is you could upload a really high compressed version. The problem is it could take 8 hours or longer to get online. So maybe if you used Vimeo and dvxfest gave a window, saying all the films had to be uploaded within this window of 3-4 days. Then at the end of it link to all them but also require the films be uploaded for download in 50meg version.

The only problem I have with sites like vimeo or hosting on someone's individual website is people will take their things down. I've went back to watch old dvxfest films and a lot of the film links end up being dead. The files are hosted on that persons website and they take it off. So I like the idea of it being there if you want to watch it, kind of a part of dvx filmmaking history.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
    Director Reel: https://vimeo.com/39714929
    Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/goodluckpictures/videos

8. Collapse Details
    Food for thought... from a purely business standpoint.... why would DVXuser want to drive traffic to Vimeo? Makes no sense.
    If there was to be a streaming answer it should remain in the control of DVXuser.

...just sayin'

9. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    You know this is a good point for someone to say "hey Rodney, you;re not that bad..."

Any day now...

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

10. Collapse Details
    Hey Rodney... you're not that bad!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast