Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney V. Smith View Post
    Welcome to heck Mike.

It looks really bad when you invite someone to view and judge the films and then all of a sudden they're being attacked and their credibility brought into question when the aim was to have an impartial voice for once. I'm sure the judges and the mods were not in any kind of mood to partake in that level of abuse again.

And this for a FREE FEST!

If we were paying to enter you can bet people would be a hell of a lot more appreciative, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

ZZZZZ!!!! You'd be wrong. I've run paid fests before and can confidently say that people will be ungrateful no matter how much money they're paying or how much work you do to make things fair.

Commercial and Creative Director at Psychic Bunny, a hybrid media studio in sunny Los Angeles, California.

Producer, Cement Suitcase ( feature film )
    Writer/Director/Producer, Dead Drop ( BetrayalFest finalist ) "A very cool, slick and well done short."
    Producer, The Echo Game ( feature film ) - "There is never a dull moment..."
    Ex. Producer, Coma, Period. ( web series ) - "...few things in web video are done as well as they are in Coma, Period."

@TheSpiceEffect on Twitter IMDb

2. Collapse Details
    True dat! There's always something to complain about or always someone to find something to complain about.

3. Collapse Details
    Would be interesting to see the averages/ranks based just on participant votes..out of the 50 or so...vs any outside/crew/actor/friend/popular votes on the board. At least you know the participants are the ones most likely to have truly seen them all before voting.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
    Director Reel: https://vimeo.com/39714929
    Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/goodluckpictures/videos

4. Collapse Details
    And I bet those same complainers would be silent about things if they won.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike@AF View Post
    How about if only those entering a film in the fest could vote for the winners, but they couldn't vote for their own film? It would be decided by the actual peers that are competing in the fest. Do it the old way where each filmmaker ranks a top 3 or 10, or ranks all the films in order. Could be interesting.
    I did one other film before this one on another website forum thing. And that is how it worked. Only the filmmakers were allowed to vote. In the end it became a serious popularity contest. Each filmmaker was allowed to vote for their top 3, in order.

They gave a break down of which films received how many first, second and third place votes. It was clear that their was vote tampering. Either people voted for their friends or they voted for the worst films so their film would do better, as you could not vote for your own. That was a much smaller fest with only about a dozen films. Those thrown votes really counted. Some of the films looked like regular home movies, no story, no acting, no point, and yet they received 1st and 2nd place votes.

...So all in all it seems the vote process is not so bad here. This by the way is a much harder fest to judge as none of these movies looked like home videos. Even the most flawed movie, you could see was a serious entry. Plus there were probably twenty that could be in the top 9. I'm sure the averages were very close.

6. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dougspice View Post
    ZZZZZ!!!! You'd be wrong. I've run paid fests before and can confidently say that people will be ungrateful no matter how much money they're paying or how much work you do to make things fair.
    Damit Doug! There goes my faith in human nature wanting to do good...

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011