Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Hey Jason my suggestion would be if it would be possible to have a little screen grab next to the films name. I mean a lot of people come in here blind and don't know what to watch, so a grab or more would help them see what the film looks like, and would help them decide if they wanted to watch it. Same with maybe a little synopsis as well. Shouldn't be too difficult, just have to set up the main listing page a bit differently.

As it stands now you're going off name alone, and I know a lot of people wanted to watch others but maybe watch the wrong one and dismiss all the others you know?

2. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
    In which case, we should be given a month to work our way through them. I don't think that's going to fly...
    I think a month is a bit much. Yah, I know that I fly through them but 5 hours of my time is like watching a couple of good movies. It's really not all that much time when you look at it that way.

Voting on a few but not all just seems wrong in my book.

I really think a panel would be the best way to go for the awards and such. Leave it to us for some sort of audience choice award and give us two or 3 weeks to do so.

Still a good fest either way. Always improving.

MAH

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

3. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Chris_Marrs_Piliero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmcleod View Post
    Hey Jason my suggestion would be if it would be possible to have a little screen grab next to the films name. I mean a lot of people come in here blind and don't know what to watch, so a grab or more would help them see what the film looks like, and would help them decide if they wanted to watch it. Same with maybe a little synopsis as well. Shouldn't be too difficult, just have to set up the main listing page a bit differently.

As it stands now you're going off name alone, and I know a lot of people wanted to watch others but maybe watch the wrong one and dismiss all the others you know?

that's a good idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Anthony Horrigan View Post
    I think a month is a bit much. Yah, I know that I fly through them but 5 hours of my time is like watching a couple of good movies. It's really not all that much time when you look at it that way.

I really think a panel would be the best way to go for the awards and such. Leave it to us for some sort of audience choice award and give us two or 3 weeks to do so.

MAH
    word, MAH... word.

I love my Canon 7D more than my own parents...

4. Collapse Details
    I can never get through all of them I try to start at the beginning and work my way through as many as I can... I also don't post comments and reviews on every one either... honestly, I watched fewer film in Monsterfest than this one.
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Anthony Horrigan View Post

MAH
    I agree with you 100%. My concern is that voting in the manner it's done now becomes somewhat of a popularity contest or is at least influenced partly by popularity. It can also be influenced by a crew of 10 DVXuser members working on one film and all voting 10, when another film has only 1 or 2 DVXuser members working on it. It skews everything a bit. I'm not saying finalists and winners aren't deserving, just that a panel for deciding finalists and winners would be the way to ensure everything is unbiased.

6. Collapse Details
    I agree with Michael and Mike, and actually thought the same thing. I think a panel of judges is a great idea.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
    Director Reel: https://vimeo.com/39714929
    Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/goodluckpictures/videos

7. Collapse Details
    The time we had an independent panel judge the films, that brought on a slew of complaints of its own. As I recall, some rather "insulting" remarks were made toward some of the judges on the panel because they saw things differently than some of the forum members. in the end, the panel came up with the same winner as the community membership.

8. Collapse Details
    Just comes to show the amount of immaturity that's present here, as I've found out the last week and a half.

9. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    Welcome to heck Mike.

It looks really bad when you invite someone to view and judge the films and then all of a sudden they're being attacked and their credibility brought into question when the aim was to have an impartial voice for once. I'm sure the judges and the mods were not in any kind of mood to partake in that level of abuse again.

And this for a FREE FEST!

If we were paying to enter you can bet people would be a hell of a lot more appreciative, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

10. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
    The time we had an independent panel judge the films, that brought on a slew of complaints of its own. As I recall, some rather "insulting" remarks were made toward some of the judges on the panel because they saw things differently than some of the forum members. in the end, the panel came up with the same winner as the community membership.
    I liked the panel myself. I believe they just watched/voted on the finalists though so at that stage it's easier to get it right.

Bottom line, I think if a vote is cast all films should be watched and rated, no just a few. Otherwise how is that fair? That's how Winter Lilacs got screwed in Love Fest.

MAH

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast