So this is my first fest, so bare with my noobness on the matter but I have a few comments on the whole thing...
- First off, love the community and love that there are fests... it's a great way to grow as a filmmaker
- The feedback is awesome and it's a way for us to get to know each other and compliment and critique each other and build relationships, which is rad... though as much as people do give their critiques I still feel like a good chunk of feedback is watered down... don't get me wrong, there's plenty of really solid criticism, but i've also read a crapload of stuff that is soooo masked that it would be cool if there was an anonymous way to critique as well... still keeping with the whole "Don't be a dick with your comments" but that way people could feel much more inclined to be like, "Alright, here's what really needs to be fixed and improved, etc"... i'm not sure how to go about this, but if something could be figured out, that would be rad...
- The downloading of movies... not too sure what I think about this. Especially since a good amount of people's submissions use this fest as a way to improve their film, I dunno what I think about giving everyone access to download it. I don't like the idea of having everyone dl the film and have it on their computer. I want to be able to direct people to my vimeo page and have them view it there so it can tally the views and if someone likes it, they can forward the link and it continues to be shared. Also, if I adjust the film (after the competition's end), I can swap it out in the backend and it's still the same link for everyone to view... rather than a bunch of people having on their computer a version that may not be the final version and definitely not at the desired compression rate.
- Continuing on that point... To ensure nobody changes their film after the submission date, you can require a copy be submitted to you guys like normal and if there's any talk of fowl play, the film can can be cross-referenced and if the person disqualified... on the dvxfest page you can just embed everyone's films so we can all just direct people to dvxfest.com and bam... all of the movies are there for the viewing. it would be way more convenient to just go to the page and start viewing rather than have to wait for a film to download and on top of that, the compression rate would be a lot better this way, as well. All of the films will still have the dvxfest intro and in the description you can require everyone to include a link to dvxfest.com... and this will encourage more people to spread links and share the films with friends n what not through facebook and twitter and email and all that schtuff...
- In addition to 1st, 2nd, 3rd place... adding a "festies" type award system could be good stuff... giving recognition to cinematography, screenwriting, editing, acting, etc
- The voting... I don't have a solution to this, but if the judging is based upon all users with over 50 posts than there really should be a way to make sure every film is viewed and every film is voted on by each person who votes... it leaves a lot of room for weighted voting if it allows for people to only vote for the ones they choose to vote on...
And yeah... that's my thoughts... I bid you all a rad day.
Results 1 to 10 of 106
03-12-2010 02:05 PM
Last edited by Chris_Marrs_Piliero; 03-12-2010 at 02:18 PM.
03-12-2010 02:12 PM
NOOB STATUS RESCINDED.
Last edited by Ben Sliker; 03-12-2010 at 02:26 PM.
03-12-2010 02:16 PM
haha... while i appreciate that absolutely frightening noob pic... i didn't comment on that post because that's about BETRAYAL FEST in particular... and i'm comment about the fests as a whole and those to come...
so you, my dear sliker, can suck it! and i mean that in the kindest most friendly way possible...
03-12-2010 02:18 PM
ok ... fine. I rescind my noobing of you. i guess i deserve one in return for pulling the noob like a noob.
03-12-2010 02:19 PM
Some interesting points.
Several people who have a new cut after the fest is over have simply edited their first post in their threads to new threads in the User Film's section and mention the new edit.
And personally, if you have a new cut, I would rather have a new link.
1. Comparing the old and the new is interesting.
2. If someone says "go to that link I sent you before and I updated the movie there" I'm far less likely to be interested enough to go find that link again than "hey, here's a new cut 'click here (new link)' let me know what you think"
And I'm sure one of the mods can weigh in, but I think people only voting on some of the films is already taken into account in the voting system. Since the system's designed for each film to be rated on its own, not every needs to vote on every film. It's ideal when they do, but in some of the past fests I've actually just not had the time to vote on everyone's movie before the deadline.I invented the "remove echo" audio filter. And only people that boom their actors closely get to use it.
Alex Donkle - Sound Designer -
03-12-2010 02:23 PM
a lot of the points that you have in there have been discussed ad naseum in the past (results, voting, revealing of votes, extra categories to vote on). And I will guarantee you, these guys are like ninjas on watching out for weighted voting/fraud, etc. It's also part of the reason they added a second round of voting. It levels the playing field a bit for the finalists as far as viewing and voting numbers.
But you definitely have some things in there that need to be brought back in the conversation as technology progresses. e.g. the streaming of entries, although i think that they are working on a solution for that and looking for people to help. i think they are looking for solutions, they know the problems!
03-12-2010 02:28 PM
yeah when i'm submitting something to a client i always make a new link with a new cut... but in regards to a final film that you've submitted to the world, it's a godsent feature to just be able to swap out the clip with an improved color correction or new shot or better audio or what not...
i hear ya on not having time to watch and vote on everything... i'm making sure that i do it for all of these films, but it's an effing task to do so... so I can only imagine that a lot of people don't end up doing that and I'm not sure how a fair tally of votes can be gathered if some films don't get as many votes...
03-12-2010 02:36 PM
I agree about the critiques. I have seen some of the "watered down" of which you speak. I think with some films it actually does a disservice and we all know people don't like to be the bad guy. An anonymous way of doing that would be cool as long as people were still civil and not act silly like bloggers do. Feeling like because they're anonymous they can say anything. Feedback is very important and invaluable. I think that's why these festivals are so good, because if you're open-minded enough, you can really learn and grow as a filmmaker from your experiences here in these fests.
The vimeo idea has been floating around for a minute and it's a really good one. The quality of the films would be great and traffic to the vimeo page would be very high. It would be so much easier for people to direct others to the films.
Also, they have been giving recognition for other things besides just 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. I don't think they have recognized cinematography or scripts, but I know that the fest experience here has continued to improve and that's because the mods listen.
Watch the film (1/21/13) HERE!
iZaza Slider...Do you?
03-12-2010 04:30 PM
I'm going to chime in on the download... I personally like that option. It allows me to put them all on a media player and watch on a big screen as well as on the computer without needing an internet connection. Some people have slow connections and can't view streaming video smoothly. I see your point and this has been talked about... the mods are looking for help...feel free to volunteer your services.