Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    If you can afford it, take a look at the Zylight Z90. I have been using mine for 2 years and I love it, it is totally flexible, no filters needed, excellent on power with a Takeon (sp) battery and the ability to change colour has proved very useful for effect and product shots etc. It is built well and I highly recommend it.
    Brian Murphy
    Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto
    Sony PMW 300K1-Sony FS-100-Sony NEX 7
    Sony-18/200-Zeiss 24/70-Tokina 11/16-Sigma 70/200 (2.8) Nikon 55(1.2)
    Canon FD & Yashica Contax collection
    http://www.travelandescape.ca/watch/barbados-style/

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bouchard View Post
    Having read all the posts here, I popped for Comer 1800 and 900 for lighting interviews. (...) No longer had need for florescent overheads.
    How do you set them up for an interview? I am wondering I can get away with two of these as a total light setup for interviews and wedding receptions.

3. Collapse Details
    Xaveryptak asked: "How do you set [the Comper's] up for an interview?"

There are likely better ways to set up the lights than what I have done so far. I am new to video; I certainly do not recommend my way of doing things. However, in my situation, using two Comers and outdoor light filtered through a window, to my eyes, it has been a great improvement. I haven't quite attained the Da Vinci glow yet but am closer. The subject certainly looks a lot better in the raw footage. Combining the window light with the Comers is may not be the best but there are no longer neither menacing shadows on his face, nor reflection from the overhead fluorescent fixture.

My situation is not at all like a wedding. I am a writer, and only recently been roped into becoming a videographer too. I am somewhat technophobic and avoided using cameras most of my life. However, I have been asked to make videos of the person whose biography I am writing. He is a leading scientist but suffered a stroke a few years ago. He is recovering and still remarkably articulate. We do the interviews in his doctor's office. She is present for the interviews. Sometimes she asks questions too. The interviews are part of his therapy. It is a way for him to connect to his students and colleagues now that professional participation has been limited by the stroke. Last year, for instance, he delivered a presentation via video to a conference held and a major medical center here in Chicago. It was broadcast live to other centers throughout the US and Canada. I shot those videos with a consumer camcorder. Based on the success of that, this year I opted to improve the quality of the video gear with an HMC 150 and related equipment.

The doctor usually has other clients immediately before and after the shoot. There is limited time to set up. I have little control over where he sits. We are doing repeated interviews (which I am learning to edit with CS4).

For the lighting setup, there are two 4' x 8' windows about 10 to 12' away from him. I would like to close the blinds but that is a hassle. He is on a chair seated at a 45 degree angle from the windows, which are to his left. I am seated about 5 feet in front of him, also slightly to his left. The Comer 1800 is mounted on the camera, which is on a tripod in front of me. The doctor is seated to my right. On his right side, I have placed a microphone stand, boom, and shotgun mic. The stand and mic are well out of camera range but about 2' from the subject. The Comer 900 fits on the mic stand with a bracket. It is almost too bright but far enough off to the side so it is not in his eyes.

Covering the windows somehow, adding a well placed reflector, and a hair light might help too. But I worry about set up and take down. The specs on a Zylight Z90 look great too but they are considerably more expensive than the Comers.

Finally, there are bookshelves behind my subject. I have tried to set the adjust the camera to reduce the depth of field so the book titles can't be read, but without success so far. But I'm learning. This forum has been most helpful for that.

That's it for now.

4. Collapse Details
    With the 2 comers and the natural light you can set up a standard 3 point lighting. I try my best not to have an on-camera light. I know run and gun you may have no choice, but getting the lights off the camera gives you more depth and allows you to highlight your subject better.

What about a similar setup - but use the comer 1800 as the key, natural light as the fill and the 900 maybe with the spot as a back light? With 2 lights, I would keep the key light and try to use the 900 as a fill and back light to reduce shadows and create a little more depth.

I am sure there are better examples but this one is good: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/641615...oint_lighting/
    Last edited by MadHMC150; 03-22-2010 at 06:58 AM.
    arsenal: Panasonic HMC150 x2 - GH1 - Canon 7D - Halo Rig HD & Mini - Arri lights - Comer LEDs - Chroma-Key - Jib - Dolly
    Every videographer should have access to quality camera gear, use coupon code "DVXUSER" to get 10% any purchase today!

DVXuser Sponsor:

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bouchard View Post
    There are likely better ways to set up the lights than what I have done so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadHMC150 View Post
    With the 2 comers and the natural light you can set up a standard 3 point lighting. http://www.metacafe.com/watch/641615...oint_lighting/
    Thank you both for your input.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MadHMC150 View Post
    ...What about a similar setup - but use the comer 1800 as the key, natural light as the fill and the 900 maybe with the spot as a back light? With 2 lights, I would keep the key light and try to use the 900 as a fill and back light to reduce shadows and create a little more depth.

I am sure there are better examples but this one is good: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/641615...oint_lighting/
    Thanks, your advice and Izzy's video are helpful. Next, I have to figure out a quick set up with a light stand(s).

7. Collapse Details
    With a big light like the Comer 1800, combined with a large battery on it, has anyone had any weight issues being mounted on top of the HMC150, with mounts breaking or anything like that? Looking to use this for ENG run n gun situation.

8. Collapse Details
    There are different sizes for the Sony L-series batteries that fit on Comer 1800. Only the NP-F970 a bit bigger. NP-F770 and NP-F570 are much smaller. Of course you get lower run time with that (2 hrs and 1 hr).

9. Collapse Details
    Ya I knew that....

Does anyone have any pictures of this light mounted on a HMC150 or similar style camera they can post for a size comparison?

10. Collapse Details
    @Code3Response, I don't have a photo handy but let me tell you that the Comer 1800 is DEFINITELY the light you want. I have an HMC150 and several GH2s.. It is what you are looking for and is EXTREMELY versatile.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast