Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Next Fest should be WAR!!!FEST but the required element is NO GUNS!

2. Collapse Details
    or A LOT OF GUNS and few bombs
    and blood, lots of blood

3. Collapse Details
    I think the broader question is 'Will there ever be a fest without weapons'.

I'd argue that so long as there is one apple and two hungry mouths to feed, then the answer is no. Sticks, rocks, pointy things and ballistics are a means to an end (sharing is out of the question, of course). How the filmmaker executes (no pun) this all-too-human endeavor makes a big difference.

If I'm more aware of the gun than the story, then the gun is a crutch, much in the same way that a car, a vial of poison, T&A, a bad habit or any other story element can and does take over a film.

Without naming names, one 'gun film' in this fest really stood out. A few others handled it well in the context of the story - but I wouldn't miss the gun if it were gone, and few others relied heavily on the gun to carry the film.

'Christine' and 'Jaws' are good examples of keeping the element in check and letting the story drive the film. 'Quigley down under' is a good example of a gun element never allowed to rule the story. 'Road to Perdition' is another fine example. My all-time fave, however, is the Japanese pulp fiction film 'Zatoichi'. Could you take the sword out of the film? Probably not, but it never dominates the story.

So, a gun in the hands of a gun fighter is as effective as a gun in the hands of a good storyteller. Certainly Jesse James and Al Capone are ledgends much larger than the guns used to pave their road to ruin.

Do I like guns? Not in real life. And I do think they are a path of least resistance for some filmmaker/storytellers. No shortage of 16-year-olds dressed up to look like 30-year-old evil execs and swat running around shooting everything in site. But is it art!!!

a
    Last edited by alex whitmer; 03-10-2010 at 12:44 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    I was really surprised by all the guns. I didn't get excited about this fest initially because I thought it was going to be all drama and no action. Cheating spouses, not interesting to me. So I thought the alien thing was so far from this drama stuff. Now its just another movie where one person is shooting another. I think it it gives the films that are different a leg up on everyone else who did schemers, killers, heisters, cheaters, haters and moles. And two college students in a library takes the cake. I think DougSpice said, I made a good short first and a betrayal fest entry second. So take the theme away and mix these movies with all sorts of other movies and you might feel differently about the ones that use guns and violence. They might stand apart more.

So maybe they should get rid of the theme idea. Try for a regular short film contest with no theme, do what you want. I have a feeling there would still be a lot of guns. The movies I watch have guns in them. They do the best in the theaters and thats what we as viewers want to see. At least I do.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by alex whitmer View Post
    I think the broader question is 'Will there ever be a fest without weapons'.

For my next fest entry I'm going to do what Marlon did with Lawless. Except instead of guns there will be nunchucks. Instead of a black marshall, the marshall will be a robot boy (rom). Instead of fighting in Oklahoma, they'll be fighting on Croquanna Island. I'm going to use all the elements that work and slam them together and throw in some nunchucks. I can't lose! I think I'll even give the robot boy a cape. (xepoj). There will be a topless woman typing up this event in the corner of the screen on a remington. It won't be easy for her because she'll be wearing boxing gloves. In the end she'll fight the robot boy up until the point where she morphs and takes his body like in mirror, mirror. There will be an exploding car in the background. A lot of this will happen on a split screen.

The title... "There will be nunchucks"
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead

6. Collapse Details
    Don't forget the cones.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Joy View Post
    Don't forget the cones.
    Who do you think will be directing traffic!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Joy View Post
    Don't forget the cones.

Proves my point. Even a couple of innocuous cones resort to violence.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodLuck View Post
    For my next fest entry I'm going to do what Marlon did with Lawless. Except instead of guns there will be nunchucks. Instead of a black marshall, the marshall will be a robot boy (rom). Instead of fighting in Oklahoma, they'll be fighting on Croquanna Island. I'm going to use all the elements that work and slam them together and throw in some nunchucks. I can't lose! I think I'll even give the robot boy a cape. (xepoj). There will be a topless woman typing up this event in the corner of the screen on a remington. It won't be easy for her because she'll be wearing boxing gloves. In the end she'll fight the robot boy up until the point where she morphs and takes his body like in mirror, mirror. There will be an exploding car in the background. A lot of this will happen on a split screen.

LOL!!!! That's some cool stuff right there! Do it!!

Watch the film (1/21/13) HERE!

iZaza Slider...Do you?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodLuck View Post

What if it was......in space?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast