Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The HMC Book - now available
    The new "The HMC Book" is now in stock and available for ordering. It takes the original "The HMC150 Book" and expands significantly upon it, adding over 40 pages and adding whole new sections for FAQs, workflow issues, tutorials on basic concepts such as exposure, white balance, and focus, and of course all the new features unique to the HMC40, including working with the touchscreen interface, dealing with rolling shutter CMOS sensors, and more. Several sections of the HMC Book have been rewritten to aim towards the new user, or the user for whom their HMC40 or HMC150 may be their first professional camera. Extensive descriptions of just about every function, button, menu setting, and feature are included, but done so in user-friendly language to make it approachable to users of all levels.

24 scene files are also included, on a CD-ROM that can be used to copy the scene files right to an SDHC card and loaded onto an HMC150. The HMC40 doesn't support loading scene files from an SDHC card, so every scene file setting has been printed to make it accessible to HMC40 users.

The HMC Book covers both the HMC150 and the HMC40. It's the same size, quality, and price of the HVX & HPX Book. For cost-conscious consumers who only need to know about the HMC150, the HMC150 book remains in print and is slightly less expensive.

Both books are in stock right now and can ship immediately.

For ordering info, click on the buttons in my signature, or follow these links directly:
    The HMC Book (for the HMC40 & HMC150)

The HMC150 Book

Thanks to everyone for your patience and your support, and I hope you like it!

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Is a sample chapter available? Or at least table of contents?

3. Collapse Details
    Table of Contents PDF coming shortly...

4. Collapse Details
    Great! Will be ordering right after payday :–)

5. Collapse Details
    Got mine yesterday, and it seems outstanding.

When Barry Green says "ships immediately" he means it!

Excellent work, Barry!

6. Collapse Details
    My Review:
    Thumbs up
    First of all, let me say that my name appears on page VIII as one of several people who helped (in a small way) with the book. Other than getting my copy a bit earlier than most people, I do NOT receive any money from the sale of the book. I say this so that people will understand that I have no hidden bias here. What follows is my review of the book...

My Review:

The Panasonic User Guide tells you HOW to do things, but it really does not get into the WHY you would want to do these things. Barry's Book gets into the WHY you would select a certain setting or option, but does not get into HOW you make this selection. In order to have a full understanding you really need to read (study) BOTH books.

While I make reference to it as "Barry's Book", in a way it's several books in one.

The Book begins with the FAQ starting on page 1. This is followed by a string of short Articles starting on page 11. The first parts of the book are clearly aimed at the beginner, who may not know some of the important details about the camera and shooting video. As tempting as it might be for the more advanced shooter to skip over these sections, there are several parts that are very helpful and unless you have taken the time to study every aspect of the camera, you just won't know some things. Take my advice, even if you think you know it all, read this section anyway.

By page 81, the Book gets into the Unique aspects of the HMC40. While this section is not as big as other sections, it does contain things worth knowing.

The Scene File Setting, page 95, is an area where you'll want to sturdy this in detail. This is the section that's going to help you understand what the **** a given parameter setting does.

The Button and switch settings, page 115, covers the operation of these features. Not every operation is for the HMC40, there are some button settings that exist only for the HMC150.

The Auto Switch Settings, page 125, is great if you have an HMC150 camera, but for HMC40 users, you can skip this setting. It's not a big section, so not much to skip...

Record Mode, Time Stamp, and Audio Settings, page 129, Addresses the many recording features and options.

Timecode Setup, page 139, is more for the advanced user, but even a beginner should take a look at this section.

Audio/Video Output Settings, page 149, could be skipped if you never plan on using the audio/video outputs of the camera, BUT if you want to put your video on a monitor, either SD or HD, you'll want to check out this section.

Display Setup Settings, page 149, provides a good understanding of your display options. Very important to understand what the camera is telling you...

Card Functions, page 161, is a very short section, but still helpful to know.

USER File, page 165, is for the HMC150 only. It's a very short section you are likely to skip.

Meta Data, page 167, to be honest, I don't really use this data, but at least it's nice to know what it can do.

Other Function Settings, page 171, gets into the odds and ends of functions, like IR Remote, Power Save, System Info, and other things.

Playback Menus and Thumbnail Screen, page 175, if you've been working with the camera for a while, you know most of this, but with a beginner, you'll find this helpful.

Thumbnail Screen Menu Options, page 181, this is really a continuation of the Playback Menus and Thumbnail Screen, but still helpful.

Understanding Meta Data, page 189, as I said, I don't use it, but sttill nice to know what I'm missing.

Physical Switches, Buttons and Jacks, page 195, a nice review of the switches and buttons. Not that big a deal to me, BUT this book is for everyone, so I can see a beginner studying this section.

Sample Scene Files, page 224, OK, here's the section where you'll want to take you time looking it over. Now video displays use Additive Color, where Red, Green, and Blue are added together to make all the other colors. A printed page uses Subtractive Color, where Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black are used to block out the colors. The two systems are VERY different and it's impossible for an exact match, a reasonable approximation is possible. This is where the CD that comes with the book is so important. To get a really good idea who a given setting really looks like, go to the CD and look at the image on your monitor or TV. The pages of Scene Files do give the settings for the HMC40 next to the image in the book, nice!!! There are 6 extreme Scene File settings, you could use them, but they may not be the best settings. Plus there are 18 more Scene File settings. The 18 additional settings are the settings you are more likely to use to obtain a given look to your video. IMHO, this is a key section to the book and a very important one.

About The Author, page 237, I was going to write, "Who Cares!", but people may not realize that I was joking. Barry put a lot of work into this book, so he gets his one page of glory.

Index, page 238, helpful for finding the key things.

Reference Tables, page 243 - 245, I point out this section, because it's not listed in the table of contents, but is important for key things you'll want to look up later on. With this section, you don't have dig through the entire book, just go to the back to find it.

In Conclusion:

I can't think of a logical reason of WHY any HMC40/HMC150 User would NOT buy this book. Consider this, at NAB, Jan or one of the engineers from Panasonic might be willing to spend 5 or 10 minutes with me at most. After all it's a busy show with lots of people wanting to talk to them. So there's a very limited amount of time for me to gather an inside understanding on the camera.

Barry on the other hand has had a chance to really sit down with the people at Panasonic and ask all the key questions, he's had time to work with the 200, the 200a, the 170, the 150 and the 40. If you own the camera, why wouldn't you want to learn what he's discovered?

As for the person considering the HMC150 or the HMC40, this can provide a great comparison of the two cameras and will help show each camera's capabilities. Someone who's unsure migh find it worth it just to get the book to decide if either camera is right for them.

Sincerely,

Bob Diaz

7. Collapse Details
    Just got my copy, thanks Barry.

Have you ever thought of also providing purchasers an option to get a PDF version of the book? It would be nice to also have it on my iPhone for those moments when I have a few minutes to read.

8. Collapse Details
    Yes, sigamy, great idea!

9. Collapse Details
    I just got a new HMC150 from B&H and it came with the HMC Book. I also ordered the HMC 150 book, not knowing it came with the HMC Book. Is there any reason I should hold onto the HMC 150 book if I have the HMC Book?

10. Collapse Details
    No; the new HMC book includes everything the older HMC150 book had.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast