Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    Lousy craftsmanship but an intellectual, thought-provoking story? That'll probably get a 7 or higher.
    Interesting idea, while I applaud the concept / thought behind that statement, if there is lousy craftsmanship it is still getting a lower score from me. A story would have to be VERY compelling for me to be able to watch watch it all the way through and over look the poor craftsmanship. And I guess it really comes down to poor audio craftsmanship- if the audio is bad, hard to hear / understand / follow, then it doesn't matter to me what the content is - and usually, when there is poor craftsmanship the audio suffers the most. I'll put up with a poorly shot and edited film if I can follow it, it has compelling content, and the audio is decent. That type of thing- I'll agree with you. But sadly, I think that is not the norm when there is poor / lousy craftsmanship.
    Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Cinematographer
    www.ryanewalters.com - Tutorials - IMDB - Twitter - REEL
    Specializing in Digital Cinematography

"Too often people get caught up in the technical end of things ... They are missing the point completely. This way there is no proper input of individual personality." Vittorio Storaro, ASC, AIC.

Whirlpool GC5SHAXVS / WFW9400SZ / GFE471LVS / GU3600XTVY / GH7208XRS / WFW9400SZ / WED9750WW / GLS3665RS / and on back order, but expected in soon MTKS-230-C

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    When I'm rating a film, I pretty much categorize it as "would I want to watch this again?" or "what was the overall enjoyment factor here?" If it's a comedy and there's a flaw in the filmmaking (bad sound, or awful acting, or whatever) but the overall experience had me laughing so hard I fell off the chair -- then that film gets a 9. If there's no flaw, it's a 10.

But if the flaw is so egregious that it damages the enjoyment out of watching the film, then it doesn't matter how good the cinematography is or how good the acting was or how good the musical score was -- if I didn't enjoy it and wouldn't watch it again, it gets rated way down.

The way I look at it, these are films. They're not acting reels, they're not cinematography reels, they're not vfx reels. It's all about the whole homogenized experience.

Lousy craftsmanship but an intellectual, thought-provoking story? That'll probably get a 7 or higher. Masterful craftsmanship but a pointless story? That'll probably get a three or a four.

Masterful craftsmanship and a great story? That's a 10. Lousy craftsmanship and a pointless story? That's a 1.
    Well said Barry, I mostly agree, I guess that's why Avatar didn't do so well tonight. Personally I can be swayed by visuals or sound but #1 for me is the story. I am a movie junkie and I own a lot of short films that were created by the filmmakers on this site over the last five years. My personal movie collection runs the gamut from Trauma films on up. I do have my favorites but at least a couple of times a year at my house we have "cheesy horror night" or "Zombie night" etc. I find it hard to give anyone who enters a score under a 5. My range is more like

1.5-7 needs work
    2. 7 to 8 works for me on some level
    3. 8 to 9 impressive
    4. 10 you are too good to be doing dvxuser fests

I have found something I like about most of the films I have seen and I haven't struggled at all watching them. Most I have found entertaining, some border on brilliant. Thanks to all the filmmakers for making this a great fest.

"Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting"

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Paige View Post
    Oh shi*. Ten is highest?
    You've been doing it backwards haven't you. #1 does not mean #1.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead

4. Collapse Details
    As promised...

The Callaghan Top 5 BetrayalFesties

#1 ROM
    Favorite Bit of Dialogue:
    It must be difficult to make decisions…being human.

#2 Voices From the Dark
    *Spoiler Alert*
    Some of us got voices we gotta deal with. Voices. Our own voices. People’s voices. Dead voices. (beat) Every night. Whole lotta bad messed up, don’t-let-your-mother-know-things I’ve done, kid…

#3 Stretched
    *Spoiler Alert*
    …I’ve an anchor and a sail in my chest. And rope. And waves. And compass. And…this we could have been. (beat) You shouldn’t have done what you did…

#4 The End
    *Spoiler Alert*
    Legs. Hips. Waist. Lips. Eyes. Hair. How can I resist something that was meant for me?
    …Legs. Hips. Waist. Is she worth the risk?

#5 Mirror, Mirror
    You Bitch.
    Close Enough.
    Last edited by CallaghanFilms; 03-08-2010 at 12:42 AM.

For your daily Callaghanism...follow Cal on

5. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    Hey I finally made the Callagan list! Woot!

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

6. Collapse Details
    Well deserved, sir

For your daily Callaghanism...follow Cal on

7. Collapse Details
    It would probably be a good idea if they put the rating instructions on the rating page. It looks like people are confused about how to rate and how it works. That could hurt some films and help some unintentionally.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike@AF View Post
    It would probably be a good idea if they put the rating instructions on the rating page. It looks like people are confused about how to rate and how it works. That could hurt some films and help some unintentionally.
    There are actually abbreviated instructions, as well as links to the viewing thread and official rules thread if you are not logged in...

later,
    Jason

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ramsey View Post
    There are actually abbreviated instructions, as well as links to the viewing thread and official rules thread if you are not logged in...

later,
    Jason
    That's good, but it appears there's members that are not understanding and are most likely logged in when they go to the page. Just a thought.

EDIT: It's most likely due to people not reading the voting thread for the info on how it works.

10. Collapse Details
    Sound is one of the most imported things... it just is....

When sound is bad, viewers will loose there attention, when they loose there
    attention they have to think, when they have to think they get borred.... When they get borred, the bad cameramovements, bad lightning, bad decoration also get's borred.

When the sound is very good and the cameramovement very bad, viewers wil think "oww it belongs to the 'artificial stuff' "

Bad sound is never artificial accepted.

And for the ranking, what I do is do a kind of "pre-rank". And then an average.

sound 3/10 light 5/10 story 7/10 decoration 6/10 VFX 8/10
    total: 3+5+7+6+8 = 29
    29/5 = 5,8
    So 6 would be the score here
    SOUND EDITING - SOUND DESIGN - AND ALSO SOUNDRECORDING

philipsfilmsound.com

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast