Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Some were very good, some were very boring...

Watch out for shadows..... :-p
    SOUND EDITING - SOUND DESIGN - AND ALSO SOUNDRECORDING

philipsfilmsound.com

2. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    Production design is failing all across the board. It's the one thing that we tend to skimp on but it's the one thing that makes a film feel whole. Whith good production design, you dont notice it at all because for once you aren't thinking to yourself "I wish he would have done something about that ugly white wall..." Some others have GREAT detail paid to the production design and that helps push those films forward drastically. Sure more of them are using DSLRs, but it's the same as using a RED: if the lighting isn;t right, or the set design isn't right or your locatioon just plan sucks and you don;t believe it... it's not going to matter what camera you shoot on.

I'm seeing a lot of good looking films here but I just wish there was a little more thought in some cases as to what we're going to be looking at in picture.

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

3. Collapse Details
    I have seen so many good films in this fest. I am taken aback by how to approach the voting. Some great stories, some great camera work or lighting or sound, some with all of the above. Some with great VFX work and some with simple effective acting and dialog. Sure is tough rating these and I've only seen half of the films. I will watch all multiple times before voting I owe that to the great effort made by the filmmakers in this fest. Loving it so far.

"Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting"

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmagic View Post
    I have seen so many good films in this fest. I am taken aback by how to approach the voting. Some great stories, some great camera work or lighting or sound, some with all of the above. Some with great VFX work and some with simple effective acting and dialog. Sure is tough rating these and I've only seen half of the films. I will watch all multiple times before voting I owe that to the great effort made by the filmmakers in this fest. Loving it so far.
    You aren't ranking the films AGAINST each other... rather rating them on their OWN merit. You could have 8 films that you think were a 10.

Please read here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=202441
    "You are strongly encouraged NOT to try to *rank* the films as you vote. The system does a great job of taking care of that.

1 is worst. 10 stars is best in the rating system. Please approach the rating from the standpoint of merely providing that individual filmmaker indirect feedback on how his/her film was received by you on a scale of 1 to 10. you can have multiple films rated the same. That is completely fine. You watch a film, you think it was an 8 out of 10 stars, you rate it as such, and you move on to the next one. rinse and repeat. View and rate the films individually as much as possible. The system is at its best when you do this."

5. Collapse Details
    i thought it was 1 through 10 and then the rest just didn't get stars...

jk jk haha

6. Collapse Details
    I wonder... there are a lot of voice overs, is it because the sound was so bad the director decided on the very last moment to do a voice over ?

Or was the voice over planned from the preproduction ?
    SOUND EDITING - SOUND DESIGN - AND ALSO SOUNDRECORDING

philipsfilmsound.com

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazaCast View Post
    You aren't ranking the films AGAINST each other... rather rating them on their OWN merit. You could have 8 films that you think were a 10.

Please read here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=202441
    "You are strongly encouraged NOT to try to *rank* the films as you vote. The system does a great job of taking care of that.

1 is worst. 10 stars is best in the rating system. Please approach the rating from the standpoint of merely providing that individual filmmaker indirect feedback on how his/her film was received by you on a scale of 1 to 10. you can have multiple films rated the same. That is completely fine. You watch a film, you think it was an 8 out of 10 stars, you rate it as such, and you move on to the next one. rinse and repeat. View and rate the films individually as much as possible. The system is at its best when you do this."
    I understand the ranking system perfectly. That doesn't make it any easier. If a film that I love has a flaw sometimes a big one, I just kind of get stuck on where to rate it. For me I think story comes first, so something about the story has to interest me, all the lighting sound and VFX won't matter if I don't get it or wasn't at least a little drawn in. I am not rating these against each other, I am struck by how much time I am spending watching each film. Normally I could move through them with a more general rating. I haven't seen a 10 but I've seen a ton of 7 thru 9s. The presence of so many quality films has affected my thoughts on ratings but I will rate each one on its merit and I loved yours by the way.

"Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting"

8. Collapse Details
    Overall, I feel infinity less emphasis was placed on story, more on the cinematographic syllable.

That being said, the Callaghan Top 5 is forthcoming...
    (along, of course, with my fav bits o' dialogue)

For your daily Callaghanism...follow Cal on

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney V. Smith View Post
    Production design is failing all across the board....

I'm seeing a lot of good looking films here but I just wish there was a little more thought in some cases as to what we're going to be looking at in picture.
    I agree, especially in regards to my own entry. This is something I intend to remedy in the future.

10. Collapse Details
    When I'm rating a film, I pretty much categorize it as "would I want to watch this again?" or "what was the overall enjoyment factor here?" If it's a comedy and there's a flaw in the filmmaking (bad sound, or awful acting, or whatever) but the overall experience had me laughing so hard I fell off the chair -- then that film gets a 9. If there's no flaw, it's a 10.

But if the flaw is so egregious that it damages the enjoyment out of watching the film, then it doesn't matter how good the cinematography is or how good the acting was or how good the musical score was -- if I didn't enjoy it and wouldn't watch it again, it gets rated way down.

The way I look at it, these are films. They're not acting reels, they're not cinematography reels, they're not vfx reels. It's all about the whole homogenized experience.

Lousy craftsmanship but an intellectual, thought-provoking story? That'll probably get a 7 or higher. Masterful craftsmanship but a pointless story? That'll probably get a three or a four.

Masterful craftsmanship and a great story? That's a 10. Lousy craftsmanship and a pointless story? That's a 1.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast