Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What are your thoughts on Betrayalfest overall?
    Joystick Member Richard J. Johnson's Avatar
    I have seen some beautiful films and the presence of the DSLR's is crazy. I am enjoying myself so far. There are a lot of films without dialogue in this one as well. I don't know how I feel about that but at least they looked good. I have watched every single film except for "Voices in the Dark", It will not play on my computer for some reason. Great job to everyone. I have my favs and I have to go in for second viewings.

I was just curious to see what you thought about this fest.

Canon 7D+Teddybear T-Finder+Tamron & Canon Glass+lighting+a bunch of other stuff+2 Beautiful Babies.

"Torn" Available now!
    http://www.rsquaredfilms.com/films/torn.html

Vimeo Channel: http://vimeo.com/channels/47561

"RaZoRbLaDe cItY" December 2010. A Maverick Entertainment Release
    http://www.maverickentertainment.cc/...azorblade-city

2. Collapse Details
    So far, I find that the stories are more attractive this time around. I have been sucked into almost all of the ones I have viewed (About 25) more than ever before. I thinking moreso, the quality is through the roof this time as well. Maybe it's because of the DSLRs, but overall, a lot of these look VERY pro. A little unnerving.

On the whole, I think I have at least 5 of the top ten picked out.

3. Collapse Details
    Joystick Member Richard J. Johnson's Avatar
    I have 7 that I just love so far. But I have to check out a bunch a second time.

I have also seen some great story telling as well. Some endings I simply did not see coming.

Canon 7D+Teddybear T-Finder+Tamron & Canon Glass+lighting+a bunch of other stuff+2 Beautiful Babies.

"Torn" Available now!
    http://www.rsquaredfilms.com/films/torn.html

Vimeo Channel: http://vimeo.com/channels/47561

"RaZoRbLaDe cItY" December 2010. A Maverick Entertainment Release
    http://www.maverickentertainment.cc/...azorblade-city

4. Collapse Details
    I've seen some great stuff.

but...

Most stories take too long for something to happen, if something does happen, or they're confusing and pointless.

although...

maybe I was just grumpy from staying up for 30 hrs straight and then watching the movies.

The image quality on the whole is better than any previous fest. Thank you dslrs.

5. Collapse Details
    I've only been able to watch one so far (it was great), but I've set aside tonight to watch a bunch with my wife.

6. Collapse Details
    I agree somewhat on the dragging middles. I think because I was so immersed in the good films, I didn't care as much. A few times, during some of the ones that needed som work, I was more aware of lag.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Messineo View Post
    I've only been able to watch one so far (it was great), but I've set aside tonight to watch a bunch with my wife.

Before the Oscars of course. I mean...to miss the Oscars would be blasphemy!!!

8. Collapse Details
    I watched all the shorts and have to agree, the quality seems high across the board. The technology is definitely there now to make it happen for pretty much everyone. The weakest link on a few films is audio but in my experience when you compress stuff down really low it also has an impact on audio, not just image quality. I think when a lot of them hit vimeo/youtube the audio will be much better.

Overall the only complaint I had was story on a few of them. And I think that will be the case with everyone. You'll like some stories that others won't like and vice versa.

When you watch all of them though, many of the stories are very similar. A guy shows up and doesn't shoot who you think he's going to shoot. Or you shoot him, I shoot you sort of shoot off thing. It's seems sort of generic and easy, everyone was almost doing it. So I think for stuff like this you really got to consider that ahead of time and try to do something different and consider what you are putting out there. Just because you can shoot it doesn't mean you should. I also think it will work if you have a good backstory or can make people somehow care about the characters before you kill them off, which isn't easy with a 6 minute time limit. Movies are suppose to be emotionally driven, it's the foundation of storytelling. And a lot of the films were very visually stunning but lacked emotion, at least to me.

However I think because of a lot of the generic stuff, things like having a hitman show up on a split screen, or some talking cones, or a talking computer, a time travel tower, have a chance to really stand out. You got to ask yourself, what are you the only one to have? Those films are the only one to have a split screen, some talking cones, a talking computer. My film was the only one to have a sex scene out of all the ones I watched. Zaza's had a girl airboxing topless. It's so easy to get caught up in the slushpile of shorts out there. There's got to be something different in it, something that not everyone is doing or willing to explore. You read the comments on something like Lawless and people say stuff like it's "ambitious". Because it is, it's different and he's pushing the boundaries and exploring things that aren't done often. That's always been the biggest advantage of independent films, is that they don't have to answer to any generic audience standards or rules. They can go far into directions that are unexplored and that's their biggest advantage. Just my thoughts.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by RodThompson View Post
    Before the Oscars of course. I mean...to miss the Oscars would be blasphemy!!!
    We're going to watch a bunch of the films first and then the Oscars after. It should be a blast!

10. Collapse Details
    I think the stories in general are better, but I really think the visual quality has taken a step up as well. Lots of DSLR stuff that looks amazing. In some cases better lighting design would've greatly helped, but I think with cameras like the 5D and 7D natural lighting has lost that distinct "amateur" feel that's sticks out on older SD cameras.
    I invented the "remove echo" audio filter. And only people that boom their actors closely get to use it.

Alex Donkle - Sound Designer -

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast