Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thrown out for crowd surfing at a METAL concert!!!
    Bronze Member
    An Englishman living and working in Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Went to see Meshuggah 3rd March in Wellington NZ, I booked accommodation and flights etc in advance. Was sooo looking forward to it.

Band started, I moshed for 10 mins, crowd surfed landed on the stage on the guitarists feet, could barely move as I was exhausted and several hands picked me up violently (security) and I was forced outside the back of the venue in a choke hold, kicked in the shins and told I couldn't come back in!!!!!

Have filed a complaint with the police.

This has totally put me off going to any more NZ music concerts.

There were no rules about crowd surfing or going on stage and I feel I was conned out of my ticket money!!!

What do you guys think?

2. Collapse Details
    Ugh. I really think you need to sleep this one off and then read it in the morning. Of course you cant go on stage!!
    www.stevelaramie.com

Director of photography

3. Collapse Details
    Yeah I'm guessing the police in NZ are very big on moshing, crowd surfing and stage rushing rights. In the U.S. we're a little more down on those but well I guess we're just too conservative...

Noah
    One of 50 Best Websites for Moviemakers by MovieMaker Magazine: www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount code for DVXusers: dvxcbx20
    Good on all Call Box videos including Panasonic GH2, Panasonic AC160/130 and GoPro HD.

4. Collapse Details
    If you landed on the guitarists feet, that means you landed near guitar pedals or other gear. Sanfran isn't a big venue, and the stage is small, so you shouldn't really be crowd surfing in there. You could have knocked gear. That's probably why.

Moshing and crowd surfing etc is still pretty big at festivals, or large venues, but if you crowd surf in a small bar in Wellington, you'll most likely get kicked out. Common sense.

Having said all that, the bouncers & security they regularly hire at that venue for bigger shows are total pricks, so that explains the unnecessary force.

Unfortunately, a lot of these bands don't have huge followings in NZ, so when they come they can't be put in the bigger venues, where crowd surfing is usually fine. As a result, they have to put them in small, often unsuitable venues. SF is not really good for a metal gig at all.
    Last edited by ChrisHurn; 03-05-2010 at 08:57 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHurn View Post
    If you landed on the guitarists feet, that means you landed near guitar pedals or other gear. Sanfran isn't a big venue, and the stage is small, so you shouldn't really be crowd surfing in there. You could have knocked gear. That's probably why.

Moshing and crowd surfing etc is still pretty big at festivals, or large venues, but if you crowd surf in a small bar in Wellington, you'll most likely get kicked out. Common sense.

Having said all that, the bouncers & security they regularly hire at that venue for bigger shows are total pricks, so that explains the unnecessary force.

Unfortunately, a lot of these bands don't have huge followings in NZ, so when they come they can't be put in the bigger venues, where crowd surfing is usually fine. As a result, they have to put them in small, often unsuitable venues. SF is not really good for a metal gig at all.
    Maybe its because I'm a pom? Lol.

Yeh, SFBH was TINY. Absolute s*%t hole. To be fair I had been drinking from the bar in the same room, but I didnt expect to get thrown out from landing on stage.

Oh well. Live and learn. NEVER TRY TO HAVE FUN AT THE SFBH!!!! From what I heard the band hated the venue and Wellington as their gear got delivered to the wrong venue hence why they missed the signing at Real Groovy.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Londude View Post

What do you guys think?
    I think there's nothing wrong with crowd surfing at a Messhugah concert, although a straight-up stage dive would have been more acceptable in my book.

What song did they open up with?

Sony FS700
    My Vimeo

7. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Obzen I think. I was going to stage dive but those pricks grabbed me before I could do it. They made trouble for themselves because I wasn't easy to get out.
    Last edited by Londude; 04-20-2010 at 06:58 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Yeah, in regards to a recent thread: "F" Ke$ha.

MESHUGGAH!!!!!!

No question of talent there.

Sony FS700
    My Vimeo

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    You got their new DVD?

10. Collapse Details
    Oh I'm just looking at it now on Amazon. Sick! Have you seen it? Worth picking up?

I think I'll have to get it. Wish it was Blu Ray. My wife is going to hate this. She's a good sport when I watch Rush on DVD, but this might be pushing it.

Sony FS700
    My Vimeo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast