Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks everyone! I'm hoping to get it uploaded late late tonight (thanks to the extended deadline).

As for the H4n... I used my Rode shotgun mic and had phantom pwr at 48. On my DVX this mic sounds great. With the H4n, all I'm getting is a super low recording level (even when cranked up)... it's nothing but mud. Not sure but maybe the xlr inputs are a novelty and I should have just used the onboard mics.

@Mike - If I end up selling it I'll shoot you a PM.
    -
    -
    -

2. Collapse Details
    Wierd. Sorry to hear about the poor quality of the sound on your film. I'll look past it when I watch.

I connected a Sennheiser MKH416 to mine with 48v phantom power with no issues other than the batteries drain pretty quick. I've also hooked up Sennheiser wireless lavs with no issue. Maybe you have a defective H4n?

3. Collapse Details
    I had my H4N recording level set at 70 and it was also a bit low... but I tried to get the phantom powered mic as close as possible to the talents (thanks to Barry's book), that'd help me a lot to eliminate other noises, the audio was a bit low but it was clean, so when it was passed to my post audio engineer, the talented Marc Pelet, he was able to improve it without any problem (or maybe there is, but I havent' heard him complained ..heeh)

This was my 1st time using it, and I still need to play more with the H4N to get the best out of it...

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike@AF View Post
    Wierd. Sorry to hear about the poor quality of the sound on your film. I'll look past it when I watch.

I connected a Sennheiser MKH416 to mine with 48v phantom power with no issues other than the batteries drain pretty quick. I've also hooked up Sennheiser wireless lavs with no issue. Maybe you have a defective H4n?
    Thanks man! I appreciate that ;)

Yeah, I read a few post were people had a defective H4n... this may be the case for me as well. It might have to go back for an exchange. Thanks for the reminder cuz I'd hate to sell someone a defective one.

Quote Originally Posted by vnguyen972 View Post
    I had my H4N recording level set at 70 and it was also a bit low... but I tried to get the phantom powered mic as close as possible to the talents (thanks to Barry's book), that'd help me a lot to eliminate other noises, the audio was a bit low but it was clean, so when it was passed to my post audio engineer, the talented Marc Pelet, he was able to improve it without any problem (or maybe there is, but I havent' heard him complained ..heeh)

This was my 1st time using it, and I still need to play more with the H4N to get the best out of it...
    We were really on top of our actors with the mic... maybe 2 feet from their faces and it still came out super low. I'm going to mess around with it some more in post tonight and see if I can get anything out of it.
    -
    -
    -

5. Collapse Details
    Stinkpot! Great to see you back with a film... looking forward to it.

6. Collapse Details
    Nice screen grabs! I have bad audio too. All of my footage has radio interference. The radio signal is so loud that I get free sound track for almost the entire film :-)

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkpot View Post
    Thanks man! I appreciate that ;)

We were really on top of our actors with the mic... maybe 2 feet from their faces and it still came out super low. I'm going to mess around with it some more in post tonight and see if I can get anything out of it.
    The level meters are quite deceiving and when its in the middle of the range on the screen, it's actually pretty low, as you discovered. I use a mixer with limiters so that the level can be pretty hot but will be limited before clipping.

One trick to getting higher levels... turn the headphones DOWN.

Glad to see you back Stinkpot. I think it was Timefest when you last entered?

8. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Good stuff. Glad you made it in.

MAH

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazaCast View Post
    Stinkpot! Great to see you back with a film... looking forward to it.
    Thanks Zaza... but I never made the deadline. I obsessed way too much about the audio and missed it. Plus, I couldn't get it chopped down to 6 minutes without it feeling way too rushed.

With that said, it is completed and I will post it so you guys can check it out ;)

Quote Originally Posted by totitefilms View Post
    Nice screen grabs! I have bad audio too. All of my footage has radio interference. The radio signal is so loud that I get free sound track for almost the entire film :-)
    Yeah, I feel you... we have a nasty hum in the first part of our that I just cant get rid of.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Joy View Post
    The level meters are quite deceiving and when its in the middle of the range on the screen, it's actually pretty low, as you discovered. I use a mixer with limiters so that the level can be pretty hot but will be limited before clipping.

One trick to getting higher levels... turn the headphones DOWN.

Glad to see you back Stinkpot. I think it was Timefest when you last entered?
    Thanks for the tips Tim, I will definitely try this out before getting rid of the Zoom... I do like the way the device operated and would love to be able to utilize it.

It was actually Twilight Fest... whic hmay have even earlier!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Anthony Horrigan View Post
    Good stuff. Glad you made it in.

MAH
    Hey thanks Mike. Unfortunately we didn't make the deadline or the time limit... but I will post it since it is done.

The entire thing was very "last minute". We had the script for a while but other projects weren't letting me get around to planning it properly but we decided to tackle anyway. The only times we had available were a couple of Sunday evening. With that said, everyone did a great job with the little time that we did have. We shot it one evening with a small dialog read-through the evening before. Robin and Emily have great screen chemistry so I hope you guys get a chance to check it out.

I'll be watching everyone's films fore sure. I am totally stoked to see what people are doing this time around!
    -
    -
    -

10. Collapse Details
    "Plus, I couldn't get it chopped down to 6 minutes without it feeling way too rushed. "

this has happened to me almost every fest. and you're right, when you chop it down the story
    doesn't work as well. sometimes you gotta make 2 cuts, a dvxuser cut and then a directors cut at the final length. in terms of bad sound you gotta just ADR the whole thing. sucks but its necessary.
    Matt Harris
    Director / Composer / Colorist / Motion graphics
    http://www.imdb.me/matthewrichardharris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE
    BOUNTY ON A DEAD MAN'S HEAD / VACCINE / NO HORIZON / THE BOATSHED / CLEAR SPACE

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast