Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dougspice View Post
    That all makes sense reading it, but ultimately it's only about what's actually there on the screen. You can't really expect an audience to watch your movie more than once.
    No, I never expect an audience to view it more than once.

I was ellaborating for your sake because you were basically asking.

You and your games dougspice.

But the story still has to be internally consistent to someone who doesn't know a damn thing about your backstory or your subject matter. That's a problem here.
    I'd argue with you on that, I definitely feel it is a complete story.

I will watch it again, of course
    I take that as a success because you are willing to watch it again. And I thank you for a repeat viewing.
    Last edited by AJ Brooks; 03-18-2010 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Illumination...

AJ Brooks - Writer / Director

2. Collapse Details
    So... basically the older dude killed the daughter of the young dude, and the young dude realized it because of the mark on him?

Wish I knew more... lots of dialog for not a lot of exposition..

the actors did a good job. it looked wonderful. I just didn't think the story and script was there. that having been said, still a good effort.
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

3. Collapse Details
    Hmm... I didn't really need the backstory to get the gist of what was going on. Having such a complete backstory has me scratching my head a bit...

Either way... this is up there with my favorite of the fest. It had virtually everything I want in a short film... you GOTTA' get the audience attention in the first minute... you HAVE to. I'm amazed at people who make short films and nothing happens until the end... With the facial expressions, voices, set, and situation... your entry is interesting right off. I appreciate that... I feel guilty watching entries "tivo style" but when nothing is engaging I can't help it. Your entry was immediately engaging.

I thought the acting was pretty good as well... I hate to put a number rating on it... but let's just say it was/is high. I kind of wish the younger guy had a different voice... as the other guy (in the hat) has such a wonderful voice for his character. Sure, that's being picky... but everything was so strong throughout... that I expected a solid "italian" voice for the other guy... and for his actions... I would have liked a stronger tone... I'd have considered doing the 24 trick that they do with Keifer... mic him close with a gruff whisper...

The only other thing I could be picky about is the nod to the box cutter... which couldn't have been visible from their angle... and if the back story says they saw it put there I don't think somebody would place the "key" anywhere near a prisoner... especially not in VIEW of them.

Regardless... this is the first entry that's making me watch my other top pick over... and then this one again... to decide of my top pick is THAT much better then the rest... or if I'll watch again and have a tie. I don't know... but this is good. So congratulations.
    LIGHTING and SOUND AVAILABLE FOR DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OR ON DVD

LIGHTING for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel.................................................. ............................. SOUND for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel

4. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Just wanted to pop back in here a second time as I'm doing with most of the finalists. Trying to get to them all but I'm running out of time.

Another great entry. I got the story and I won't nitpick over the lighting on the one character and/or the box-cutter. That's been covered plenty.

What I did love about this was how it was shot and the acting. Very strong in both departments. Sound is also quite good! Nice work on the sound design.

I really think the guy should have had his hands tied behind his back though. Why not point it at the door and wait? Especially considering all the bloody noise they were making.
    That part just doesn't make sense. I do like that you left much of the story up to us though. I hate being spoon fed.

Great looking film though, probably the best looking in terms of overall lighting and such.
    Loved the lead actor. Or at least whom I would consider the lead, the guy who lost his daughter. He has a Gabriel Byrne look to him.

Best of luck.

MAH

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MattinSTL View Post
    It had virtually everything I want in a short film... you GOTTA' get the audience attention in the first minute... you HAVE to. I'm amazed at people who make short films and nothing happens until the end... With the facial expressions, voices, set, and situation... your entry is interesting right off. I appreciate that... I feel guilty watching entries "tivo style" but when nothing is engaging I can't help it. Your entry was immediately engaging.
    Thanks, I really appreciate that feedback because that is exactly what I wanted to do, engage the audience quickly.

And I am also guilty of watching a few entries "tivo style" when nothing interesting happens right away, because sometimes "nothing" happens for the whole short.

Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Anthony Horrigan View Post
    I really think the guy should have had his hands tied behind his back though. Why not point it at the door and wait? Especially considering all the bloody noise they were making.
    That part just doesn't make sense. I do like that you left much of the story up to us though. I hate being spoon fed.
    It's very interesting because the primary issues with this short, knife not in view, hands tied in front, issues with the story...etc., were all brought up to me at one point, either during rehearsal or during the shoot.

Ken (soundmix/boomop) recently reminded me that he made a comment on set that they couldn't see the knife.

Rebecca (aka Becky, my g/f) tied the actors hands, and she felt it was odd for me to have his hands be tied infront. (I think I remembered him doing a gesture in rehearsal that I loved and so I wanted his hands more free)

One thing that I learned from this film is that I need to listen to those voices (eh, eh! see what I did there?)

The cast/crew, in rehearsal and on set, are the first audience in a way. This film has taught me that if the boom-op notices something, I can bet a good majority of the audience is going to care about it too. For me it's learning the difference between a valid issue and a directorial note that is a matter of taste.

Thanks to everyone who commented.

My purpose in entering these fests is to become a better filmmaker, not to make a film and proclaim it a masterpiece then attack anyone who says otherwise.

Thanks for the comments everyone. The feedback is incredibly valuable.

6. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    Horrigan claimed "VFTD" was the best-photographed and best-lit film of the bunch.

I agree…

http://www.filmeveryday.com/2010/03/...award-winners/
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

7. Collapse Details
    Behind The Scenes - Lighting & More ...
    I just updated my podcast with the BTS lighting video for "Voices From The Dark". You can get to the link through my blog: http://www.ryanewalters.com/Blog/fil..._The_Dark.html

or go directly through the iTunes link:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=340901098

YouTube, and Vimeo versions will be available at some point- I have to head off to set for now, so when I get the time to format and upload them I'll add them to my channels on those sites as well.

Congrats AJ- I enjoyed the film, and being a part of it. I look forward to seeing what you do next. (And working with you again.)
    Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Cinematographer
    www.ryanewalters.com - Tutorials - IMDB - Twitter - REEL
    Specializing in Digital Cinematography

"Too often people get caught up in the technical end of things ... They are missing the point completely. This way there is no proper input of individual personality." Vittorio Storaro, ASC, AIC.

Whirlpool GC5SHAXVS / WFW9400SZ / GFE471LVS / GU3600XTVY / GH7208XRS / WFW9400SZ / WED9750WW / GLS3665RS / and on back order, but expected in soon MTKS-230-C

8. Collapse Details
    Yup congrats AJ. Awesome project to work on and I loved the freedom of doing a film without music.

Would happily work on any of your future projects.
    I invented the "remove echo" audio filter. And only people that boom their actors closely get to use it.

Alex Donkle - Sound Designer -

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan E. Walters View Post
    Congrats AJ- I enjoyed the film, and being a part of it. I look forward to seeing what you do next. (And working with you again.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gohanto View Post
    Yup congrats AJ. Awesome project to work on and I loved the freedom of doing a film without music.

Would happily work on any of your future projects.
    It's been a pleasure and I will definitely enjoy working with you guys again.

10. Collapse Details
    The vimeo and youtube versions of the BTS video are now available here:

http://www.vimeo.com/10467848

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qmOYKXbNsc

Enjoy.
    Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Cinematographer
    www.ryanewalters.com - Tutorials - IMDB - Twitter - REEL
    Specializing in Digital Cinematography

"Too often people get caught up in the technical end of things ... They are missing the point completely. This way there is no proper input of individual personality." Vittorio Storaro, ASC, AIC.

Whirlpool GC5SHAXVS / WFW9400SZ / GFE471LVS / GU3600XTVY / GH7208XRS / WFW9400SZ / WED9750WW / GLS3665RS / and on back order, but expected in soon MTKS-230-C

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112