1. Collapse Details
    why does my 720p export as 1248x702?
    I shoot most of my video at 720p30. I notice after I export my video in Compressor and play it in quicktime it says the res is 1248x702 (actual) A small slice of the left side is always cut off, meaning I usually lose a piece of a lower third or graphic I have in the bottom right. This is weird because when I view media info in quick time it says H.264, 1280 x 720, Millions AAC, 2 channels, 44100 Hz, which says that is the right resolution, but again the ACTUAL is 1248x702.
    I use FCP 7 and my timeline is Apple Pro res 422, no field dominance. I export to compressor with these settings.

H.264, keyframes every 30 frames, high quality, restrict to 5000kbits/sec, frame controls off, frame size 1280x720, pixel aspect default for size, padding is custom, with 0's in the left right top and bottom boxes.

What am I doing wrong to get less than 1280x720? Can anyone please help?

2. Collapse Details
    Hmm...that is weird.

Try following this tutorial to to the letter and see if you get similar results:
    http://vimeo.com/2051588

3. Collapse Details
    Well, I pretty do everything he does, except I do not use frame controls, as my video is already progressive and I do not need to deinterlace or change my output fields. Still getting 1248x702. What the hay?

4. Collapse Details
    I would suggest exporting a self-contained quicktime file (File >> Export >> Quicktime Movie)

Then, see the what the file size and specs of that native QT are before trying to compress.

5. Collapse Details
    Well that didn't work either. I went straight out to quicktime and it still says 1248x702. I used current settings. I verified my sequence settings and they say 1280x720, HDTV 720p (16:9) pixel aspect ratio square, field dominance is none, timebase 29.97, Apple Pro Res 422 100%.

6. Collapse Details
    Well, this seems to be a Quicktime X issue. Both VLC and QUicktime 7 open it at 1280x720. For whatever reason Quicktime X says 1248x702 no matter I do.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by abeas View Post
    Well, this seems to be a Quicktime X issue. Both VLC and QUicktime 7 open it at 1280x720. For whatever reason Quicktime X says 1248x702 no matter I do.
    Weird, but I've found Quicktime X to be buggy and pretty much useless. Besides looking cool, it has about a third of the functionality of Quicktime 7.

Do your graphics and lower thirds get cut off in Quicktime 7 or VLC?

8. Collapse Details
    Nope. Everything looks fine on those two players.

9. Collapse Details
    I had the same problem and found out the the file is actually not cropped. It's only cropped in the new Quicktime player. When I opened it in quicktime 7 it's size was the correct 1280x720.

10. Collapse Details
    I know this is a year old, but I just ran into this & found a solution.

It is pretty much QuickTime is cropping the video just for the hell of it, or to make us all go a little bit mad.

Hit command + J, go to presentation & change "Conform apeture" from "Clean" to "Production." Back to the Full Raster.

http://imnotbruce.blogspot.com/2011/...248-x-702.html
    www.zijital.com
    video in 1080z