Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The Mir 24 is the only one I have personal experience with and it's awesome.

Here's a test clip.....

http://vimeo.com/11640891

The Zeiss is another solid choice although I haven't had any experience with that glass.

The other two have me curious. I'm going to look them up.

2. Collapse Details
    ok...i need some help vintage heads.

This is my list to cover the standard lens sizes for my 7d

1.zenitar 16mm 2.8
    2.mir24 f2
    3.Supertakumar 50mm 1.4 (i have this already)
    4. Helios 40 or 40-2

Questions.
    1. can you guys recommend a 24mm (so i can cover 35mm range on 7d)
    2. whats the difference between the helios 40 and 40-2 ?
    3. Does anyone know if these lenses listed focus in the same direction? I have a tamron 17-50 and supertakumar 50mm and they both focus in the same direction (nikon way i believe) so it would help to keep things consistent for my brain

Hopefully cutting footage between these lenses wont be noticeable.

After I aquire these lenses...its on to Carl Zeiss Contax/Yashica and Nikon Ai. this will all take a while to aquire but thats the plan.
    Last edited by jambredz; 08-10-2010 at 09:53 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Hi Jambredz

Of the lenses on your list, I have the Zenitar 16mm, Mir 24 and the Super Takumar 50. The Helios 40 is on my wanted list.

I don't know about the Helios 40, but the Mir24 and Super Tak 50 focus in the same direction as the Nikon lenses, but the Zenitar 16mm focuses in the opposite direction.

For the 24mm range, I have a Nikon 24mm 2.8 that I really like.

I don't know the difference on the Helios 40 stuff, but there is a sweet Helios 40 on ebay right now at a really good price. I have bought lenses from the seller, grizzly33bear and I highly recommend the seller. Here's the link.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

4. Collapse Details
    hey Mark, thanks alot for the help. I saw the footage u had posted of a wedding with the zenitar on a slider and that was mainly the reason for getting it . I think i'll sacrifice a bit of confusion for that quality and wide angle...unless of course if someone has another suggestion for a lens that focuses the nikon way in the same range and speed

Is the 24mm nikon you refer to the ai version? thanks again.

5. Collapse Details
    Had to share this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The seller claims that the yellowed glass "is the much sought-after version [...] that supposedly produces an unusually pleasing boke."

6. Collapse Details
    he makes it sound like it's a yellow glass 'edition'

7. Collapse Details
    Every aspect and/or defect of the lens contributes to a nice bokah :-)
    I'd say that dust specks inside vintage lenses gives a fantastic bokah!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    hey Mark, thanks alot for the help. I saw the footage u had posted of a wedding with the zenitar on a slider and that was mainly the reason for getting it . I think i'll sacrifice a bit of confusion for that quality and wide angle...unless of course if someone has another suggestion for a lens that focuses the nikon way in the same range and speed

Is the 24mm nikon you refer to the ai version? thanks again.
    You are welcome. The 24mm nikon I have is the non ai version. Some say they like the look of non ai Nikons better than the ai or ais versions. It really comes down to personal preference...well that along with availabilty in your price range.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    ok...i need some help vintage heads.

This is my list to cover the standard lens sizes for my 7d

1.zenitar 16mm 2.8
    2.mir24 f2
    3.Supertakumar 50mm 1.4 (i have this already)
    4. Helios 40 or 40-2

Questions.
    1. can you guys recommend a 24mm (so i can cover 35mm range on 7d)
    2. whats the difference between the helios 40 and 40-2 ?
    3. Does anyone know if these lenses listed focus in the same direction? I have a tamron 17-50 and supertakumar 50mm and they both focus in the same direction (nikon way i believe) so it would help to keep things consistent for my brain

Hopefully cutting footage between these lenses wont be noticeable.

After I aquire these lenses...its on to Carl Zeiss Contax/Yashica and Nikon Ai. this will all take a while to aquire but thats the plan.
    Mark pretty much said it all. What speed are you looking at for your 24? You can find Vivitar 24mm f/2 lenses pop up on Ebay from time to time at pretty decent prices (decent being relative....$200 or so). I've heard nothing but great things about old Nikon lenses so if you can find something cheap there, I would go for it.

As for the differences between the Helios 40 and 40-2, I think it comes down to the 40-2 being an M42 mount and the Helios 40 being an older M39 mount. I also hear the 40-2 has better contrast than the 40. I'm in line myself for one of those babies once I get a few other expenses taken care of. It's just a gorgeous portrait lens.

10. Collapse Details
    thanks for the replies...f2 is fine for the 24mm...i'll check out that vivitar.

How comes i dont hear you guys talking about Zeiss Contax/yashica? i see them for decent prices...nobody wants to try 'em out? i mean...its Zeiss.

One more question...whats the difference in nikon Ai and AIs?

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast