Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by J Davis View Post
    I forgot the Sigmas! 30mm f1.4 and 24mm f1.8 are great too, also sigma 50-150/2.8 zoom
    Ha! Was just about to question you on this.

For night shots, I use my Sigma 30mm F1.4 almost exclusively. I love the lens and everybody that's seen footage I did loves it as well. Amazed they go used for around $400 or less.

For more lit scenes I also have the Sigma 10mm-20mm F4-F5.6. It too is really nice and I've compared it to a Canon 10mm-22mm and we use them together (since we have more than one 7D).

I will say this with my Sigma's though, they have no image stabilizer. This hasn't been a problem since I am shooting so wide, but for hand held or with little weight on the camera, you can and I have made jello! That said, I love them both and have no desire to change out either.

I did buy a Sigma 70mm to 300mm and hate it. Definitely going to a Canon with image stabilzation. I tell people only get sigma's with a gold ring, I've not been happy with ANY I have used with a red ring (more specifically, the Sigma's designed for use with an APS-C sensor have been best).

I can attest too that the Tokinas all I have see, 11mm zoom, is beautiful as well and worth it. VERY GOOD ultrawide.

2. Collapse Details
    Sigma has had image stabilization in quite a large number of their lenses now. They recently just announced a high end 70-200/2.8 with IS.

3. Collapse Details
    Ahh, must not be in their wide ones that I found. Thanks for that note, I will check out the rest of their offerings!

4. Collapse Details
    Most lens makers have been staying away from putting IS into wide lenses. However, Sigma also just announced that their 17-50/2.8 would be getting IS.

5. Collapse Details
    So, I find myself coming back to this post every couple of days to compare lenses/prices, check which ones are favorites and generally drool. Any way we can make this a sticky as it was about to drop out of the first page? It seems like a very useful post.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by drcheese View Post
    So, I find myself coming back to this post every couple of days to compare lenses/prices, check which ones are favorites and generally drool. Any way we can make this a sticky as it was about to drop out of the first page? It seems like a very useful post.
    Maybe PM a mod or just visit the thread and type bump if you feel like it !
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

7. Collapse Details
    I just realized I could click on the "Rating" tab and, since it's one of only 3 threads with a rating in this forum, it would bring this post to the top.

I still think it would be helpful as a sticky to all the new DSLR people with lens questions!

8. Collapse Details
    So you've prompted me to bring over some of what I wrote in another thread because it belongs here as well. Other thread was here.
    I think it can really help out those film makers starting out on a budget with a t2i/550d.

The usefulness of the 18-55mm IS f3.5-5.6mm (t2i kit lens)

... when I zoom in or out when recording video the brightness either increases or decreases real quick. I don't know if it is the lens causing the issue or a setting.. Either way, I need to figure this problem out fast since it is ruining my shots...
    Use it as a variable prime.
    eg shoot at 35mm/f5.6 and cut to 50mm/f5.6 and exposure will be the same.

However – you cannot leave the aperture on 5.6 and record while zooming from wide to tele
    as you will see a flicker at the points where max aperture changes and the flicker will be recorded.

If you want to record a zooming shot you will need a fixed aperture zoom like 17-55/2.8 and then the best way is to attach a follow
    focus to the zoom ring so you can precisely control the zoom. Even with this control results are patchy. To do a zoom shot properly you need
    a cine zoom and they cost truckloads of money.

Actually, on this note of using a variable aperture zoom as a variable prime.
    The 18-55mm / f3.5-5.6 is a very good starting out lens for independent film makers.

New it can be bought for $140, as a kit lens with the t2i it is $100 and there are plenty of people selling them on craigslist in brand new condition for even less.

Its useful because sharpness tests place it better than the 28-105 (var. aperture) and the 28-135 IS (7d kit), when tested at 28mm, 35mm and 50mm.
    Also it covers 24mm which the other two don't.

So you have three prime focal lengths that are often used in film making (24mm, 35mm, 50mm) all with more than decent quality and a perfectly
    workable f5.6 aperture on all three lengths and all in the one lens. The zoom is built for 18-55 so if you stay at 24, 35 and 50 you are never shooting at
    its widest (avoiding barrel distorion) or longest (avoiding pincushion effect).

Image Stabilization for hand held shots as well.

@J Davis: I have the 18-55 Canon but not the IS version (I have the AF one). How does it compare? Do you know if that performs the same in terms of IQ?
    I don't own both but I use this site for comparisons
    (roll over/roll off, watch little white arrow)

18-55 non IS (30D) vs 18-55 IS (40D) LINK (the IS version looks better IMO)

and for the earlier post
    28-135 f3.5-5.6 (7d kit) vs 18-55 f3.5-5.6 (2ti kit) LINK

I think the term "variable prime" is a bit confusing... Why not just say don't zoom while shooting?

IMO its a great term because it describes exactly the intended purpose without hinting at other uses that the word 'zoom' implies. Also I'm not the only one to use the phrase, I've seen around here and there.

for example: wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_lens
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Lens manufacturers such as ARRI Media[5], ISCO Precision Optics[6], Schneider[7], Carl Zeiss AG[8], Canon[9] and others still make variable focal length cine and video lenses regularly catalogued as variable primes. A variable prime is sometimes distinguished from a "true zoom" in that the latter maintains focus as the focal length is varied.

Need to see what the DOF is like from the t2i and the 18-55mm IS f3.5-5.6mm (t2i kit lens) at f5.6 aperture ??????
    Some pics I took with this combo can be seen here -->> LINK (and scroll down)
    Last edited by J Davis; 03-16-2010 at 08:43 PM.
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    ... and be wary of the term 1.6 crop factor !!

A lot of sites that review still lenses will state that because of the 1.6 crop factor you will need a 15mm to get the equivalent of a 24mm on full frame.

IMO it is important to stop comparing to Full Frame!!

There is no point saying 'use a 15mm to get the equivalent of 24mm' as this makes no sense at all when it comes to making movies.

When I said above that 24mm, 35mm and 50mm were common focal lengths used in film making I was referring to the field of view that you would get
    when using these focal lengths on super 35 film (ie most hollywood blockbusters)

Now super 35 film is almost identical in size to the aps-c sensor in the 7d and the t2i. So if you put the t2i kit lens on a t2i and shoot at 24mm, 35mm and 50mm
    you will be getting approx the same field of view that a hollywood movie would be shooting as if they were using those focal lengths on super 35 film.

So don't compare to full frame. Its pointless. No hollywood film is shot full frame.
    You will only confuse yourself.

Use 24mm, 35mm and 50mm focal lengths on a (7d/550d/t2i) aps-c sensor and familiarize yourself with the field of view.
    Then you will then be spot on.

For reference look at these rental PL mount Zeiss Super Speeds and look at their focal lengths
    http://www.fletch.com/rentalzeisssuperspeed.html
    and here is another one but this time with rental rates
    http://www.abelcine.com/store/35mm-Prime-Lenses/?page=2

as you can see the zeiss super speeds are 18mm, 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 65mm, 85mm

Now when using still lenses I use 24mm, 35mm, 50mm primes and a zoom 50-135/3.5 to cover 65mm, 85mm and 100+

For reference

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_35
    super 35 four perf film is 24.89mm 18.66mm

t2i
    aps-c sensor 22.3mm x 14.9mm

7d
    aps-c sensor 22.3mm 14.9mm

now compare the width, as you can see its a pretty close to 1:1 so zero crop factor.
    1.6 crop factor is for still photography, are we not filmmakers?

edit: full list of specs for reference

Still Photography Film
    Full Frame Still Film is 36mm x 24mm

Movies Film

Three Perf Academy 35mm is 22mm x 12mm
    Four Perf Academy 35mm is 22mm x 16mm
    Three Perf Super 35mm is 24.89mm x 14mm
    Four Perf Super 35mm is 24.89 x 18.66mm

Digital Full Frame DSLR (canon 5DM2)
    36mm x 24mm

7d and t2i
    22.3mm x 14.9mm

2nd edit:
    check out this marvelous chart just published by Mitch at Abel Cine!!!!
    http://blog.abelcine.com/2010/08/18/...parison-chart/
    Last edited by J Davis; 08-20-2010 at 08:27 AM.
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

10. Collapse Details
    Panamaniac
    The stock 18-55mm focuses like crap. It has no usefulness for video IMO, unless you use it as a variable prime for static camera talking heads maybe.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast