1. Collapse Details
    Need help with duel adapter!!!!
    Exclamation
    I just got a duel adaptor to use on my macbook pro running mac OS 10.5.8 and when I plug in my p2 card, it either freezes or does nothing. I really cant afford to be using my camera to transfer footage, as it really slows down the production. someone please tell me how to make this work.

p.s. I have both the dual adapter and p2 AJ-pcd35 drivers installed.

2. Collapse Details
    I had the same problem. I could NOT get it to work. If I remember right it worked with Tiger. After much frustration, I bought an AJ-PCD 20 on ebay. All the problems went away. The Duel adapter is pretty much useless on a Mac.

3. Collapse Details
    Does it freeze before launching FCP? Can open the P2 card from the desktop? Or does it mount and than nothing?

I've used the Duel Adapter for a couple of years and it has worked fine but can be finicky. I also have a MacBook Pro running 10.5.8 and have the same P2 driver. One thing with me is I have to start the Mac without the adapter plugged in and if the adapter becomes disengaged while changing out P2 cards etc. I need to reboot and start again. Other than that it has worked great.

4. Collapse Details
    Double check that you downloaded all the mac p2 drivers from panasonic.

I'm running 10.5.8 on a macbook pro as well. The Duel Adapter is finicky, but unfortunately one of the only options today. If you can hold out panasonic is coming out with a p2 reader that I believe is in the $300 range.

5. Collapse Details
    I tried reinstalling the proper drivers and no luck. I called Duel and they gave me the run around and were very rude. I plug in the reader and it pops up the icon on the top of my screen, but when i plug in the p2, it doesnt mount, or will occasionally crash finder. my shoot is oer now so i decided to just send the thing back and get my money.

6. Collapse Details
    I have a Macbook Pro laptop about a year and a half old. The Duel Adapter was the cheapest solution for downloading the P2 cards. In January I upgraded to Snow Leopard without knowing that it would render the Duel Adapter useless. After looking for other solutions I just the other day ran a Time Machine backup that I saved as a precaution before "upgrading" to 10.6.2. Now, wonderfully, I have my 10.5.8 installation back and the ability to use the Duel Adapter for P2 cards.

The mounting has always been finicky and just physically getting the Express Slot to lock the the Duel Adapter in place has always required several tries.

My procedure is now to put the P2 card into the Duel Adapter from the beginning with the protect tab on the P2 slid into the red protect from Writing mode. So at that point when I place the Duel Adapter in to the Express Card slot the P2 is ready for detection. This "seems" to work more often than not. After transfer I highlight the "NO NAME" default in Finder or on the Desktop No Name icon and EJECT. Sometimes I can remove that card and put in another P2 (also Write protected) in a modified "hot swap" and it will quickly be detected and show up again even though I already ejected or unmounted the Duel Adapter drive.

But, if it fails, I have to re-start the MacPro--in which case I do NOT leave the P2 in the Duel Adapter for the restart. I only put it back in to the Duel Adapter once restart has succeeded and all systems are installed. Occasionally I go to Disk Utilities and have seen the P2 card listed and may get the Mount function available to click on and try a discovery that way.

But, as everyone states, this whole process has always been "finicky" and I think that it is an issue with Apple OS X. It is an issue that they never really solved and that may be why they abandoned the connection protocols that allowed the Duel Adapter to work at all when they re-wrote the OS X for Snow Leopard.

As for the so-called "solution" coming up from Panasonic I don't see an indication that it is a simple reader that fits the fastest available port for downloading video files that are many gigs in size. From what I read it is a DRIVE that only offers USB 2.0 as the transfer method. If that is so it is NO SOLUTION.

7. Collapse Details
    I have a Macbook Pro laptop about a year and a half old. The Duel Adapter was the cheapest solution for downloading the P2 cards. In January I upgraded to Snow Leopard without knowing that it would render the Duel Adapter useless. After looking for other solutions I just the other day ran a Time Machine backup that I saved as a precaution before "upgrading" to 10.6.2. Now, wonderfully, I have my 10.5.8 installation back and the ability to use the Duel Adapter for P2 cards.

The mounting has always been finicky and just physically getting the Express Slot to lock the the Duel Adapter in place has always required several tries.

My procedure is now to put the P2 card into the Duel Adapter from the beginning with the protect tab on the P2 slid into the red protect from Writing mode. So at that point when I place the Duel Adapter in to the Express Card slot the P2 is ready for detection. This "seems" to work more often than not. After transfer I highlight the "NO NAME" default in Finder or on the Desktop No Name icon and EJECT. Sometimes I can remove that card and put in another P2 (also Write protected) in a modified "hot swap" and it will quickly be detected and show up again even though I already ejected or unmounted the Duel Adapter drive.

But, if it fails, I have to re-start the MacPro--in which case I do NOT leave the P2 in the Duel Adapter for the restart. I only put it back in to the Duel Adapter once restart has succeeded and all systems are installed. Occasionally I go to Disk Utilities and have seen the P2 card listed and may get the Mount function available to click on and try a discovery that way.

But, as everyone states, this whole process has always been "finicky" and I think that it is an issue with Apple OS X. It is an issue that they never really solved and that may be why they abandoned the connection protocols that allowed the Duel Adapter to work at all when they re-wrote the OS X for Snow Leopard.

As for the so-called "solution" coming up from Panasonic I don't see an indication that it is a simple reader that fits the fastest available port for downloading video files that are many gigs in size. From what I read it is a DRIVE that only offers USB 2.0 as the transfer method. If that is so it is NO SOLUTION.

Here is a quote taken from a post FCP Guru Noah Kadner wrote at Creative Cow concerning the Duel Adapter:

When you start up a FireWire drive, will the drive always mount if you simply turn it on and plug it a cable immediately into the back? No. It’s always a good idea to wait until you hear the bridge reset (a series of fast-paced clicks about 5-10 seconds after the drive is powered on) before inserting the FireWire cable. It appears that it’s the same problem here with the Duel Adapter. So, try this simple solution: next time you eject a card, wait 20 or 30 seconds before inserting the next card. I’m not exactly sure why this seems to make a difference, but my suspicions are that it gives the computer time to reset the buss and this makes all the difference in the world. Since pausing between cards I have not had one system crash or card that failed to mount. And, by the way, this works whether or not you are using HD Log or P2 CMS or drag and drop. If you think about it, this is probably a good thing too. It gives you an extra minute to go over your P2 workflow checklist and to make sure that everything is as it should be. Good luck!