Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The Interviews Thread
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    Hopefully I can get a couple more of these in during the next couple of days, but right now we're off to a good start.

The idea behind these interviews was to get more exposure on facebook and other external sites by showing the audience that there's more going on with these films than they thought. People come in watch a film and then leave and maybe they remember it. On each film the director and the actors always tend to get a lot of recognition and sometimes the writer. Here on DVXUser the composers get some notice, but sometimes people just take them for granted.

So my thought was initially to allow viewers and maybe new members and some olds to meet some of the long time contributors to the fest.

So here we are: the interviews.

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

2. Collapse Details
    Interview w/ Herman Witkam - Composer
    HERMAN WITKAM - COMPOSER

IMDB | WEBSITE | LISTEN TO SAMPLES

1. What's your name and how long have you been involved in DVXFest?

Herman Witkam. I've been involved since HeroFest in 2006. Jack Daniel Stanley sent me a PM after I posted a topic in the fest collaboration forum. I had scored only one or two short films at that time. I scored his film Bone Hand, which came in 1st. That was my first DVXUser Fest experience.

2. What DVXFest films have you worked on?

'Bone Hand' - Jack Daniel Stanley
    'Bloody Mary' - Mark Harris
    'Rekindled' - Jack Daniel Stanley
    'Into the Darkness' - Brandon Rice
    'At the Park' - Jeremy Tuttle
    'Threading the Needle' - Ted Arabian / Mark Johnson
    'Another Day' - Kyle Stebbins
    'Katrina' - Mark Harris
    'Refill' - Benjamin Sliker
    'My Granddad is a Hitman' - James Hutchings
    'Schittekatter' - Jack Daniel Stanley
    'Without Provocation' - Norm Sanders
    'A Little Mouth to Feed' - Jack Daniel Stanley
    'In Pieces' - Benjamin Sliker
    'Remember When' - Jason Ramsey
    'Constance' - Mark Harris
    'Bedtime Story' - DJ Lewis
    'Love' - Ted Arabian
    'The Music Box' - Michael Anthony Horrigan
    'Vicis' - Tomas Riuka
    'John Abbott Mitchell' - Benjamin Sliker
    'The Five Worst Days in the Life of Bartholomew Saxton' - Jason Johnson-Spinos
    'The Small Multiple' - Daniel Piatt
    'Aetas' - Shawn Nelson
    'Cold Calls' - Jack Daniel Stanley
    'The Watchman' - Michael Anthony Horrigan
    'Falling' - Simon Höfer
    'I Would Rather' - Shawn Nelson / Teresa Decher
    'Calls From the Führerbunker' - Michael Anthony Horrigan
    'Developed' - Alicia Rocha / Justin Aguirre
    'Time in a Bottle' - Robbie Comeau
    'Ossian' - Shawn Nelson
    'The Things Between Us' - Eric Meisner
    'One Saved Message' - Chris Messineo
    'Placebo' - Daniel Piatt
    'Chasing Kangaroos' - Noel Evans
    'Learning to Prey' - Shawn Nelson
    'One Percent' - Michael Anthony Horrigan

I may have forgotten one or two films. If so, I apologize : )

3. Which DVXFest film has been your favorite so far?

It's hard to name just one, but a few films that stood out for me are RPDM, Broadcast and I poo pooing Hate You.

4. Are the directors in DVXFest easy to work with? Who's been your favorite so far?

It's hard to name only one favorite director. There've been one or two negative experiences over the last 4 years, but most of the people I've worked with are professionals who I have no doubt could be directing feature films if they'd want, and could get the funding for it. There's also a few directors I've gotten into contact with via DVXUser that I have scored feature films for. So I am very grateful for its existence, and the fests that have helped me grow as a composer.

One of my favorite films to work on was A Little Mouth to Feed, even though I only had a few days to work on it. I loved the sense of quirkiness to it, even though it's a horror/suspense film. I got to try out some experimental ideas, like using a violin bow on a bass guitar, and at the same time there were sync points that were comedy-like. I had my dad perform some violin FX, which I then edited and included into the score.
    Another one was Katrina, which screened out of competition, and was a chance for me to depart from the orchestral genre. I started out with a drumbeat, added a bass riff, and out of that the main theme with the saxophone evolved, which later in the film turns into a free jazz frenzy. One of the most interesting things about the fest collaborations has been the diversity of the styles and people I got to work with.

5. Do you do this kind of work on a professional level? How long have you been doing it?

Yep - I've been composing music for film as a day job since my graduation from music college, and during it I had already worked on around 20 films, including feature and short fiction films and documentaries.

6. Are you working on any films for Betrayalfest? Which ones?

I was going to work on the new Noel Evans and Michael Anthony Horrigan films, but both had to drop out of the fest. I have to say that I don't really mind that much, as I have 3 feature films going on right now. That doesn't mean however that I'm not available for BetrayalFest and future fests. And I hope to be working with both Noel and Mike again in the future.

7. How does a director get you involved on a project? Any criteria you need before you even consider being involved?

I'm into a compelling storyline and acting, but good production values (location audio, lighting, cinematography, production design) are definitely a plus for me. I don't have a preference towards a certain genre. I can enjoy working on a realistic documentary-like film just as much as a heavily stylized action piece.

8. Your work has a very definite style to it, something very recognizable. Who are your influences and how do you bring those to bear on a project?

To name just a few, classic film composers like Bernard Herrmann, Ennio Morricone, Jerry Goldsmith and Tōru Takemitsu have been a great inspiration, along with modern composers like Thomas Newman, Howard Shore, Ryuichi Sakamoto and Alexandre Desplat. But I don't get my inspiration from just film music. I enjoy anything from Frou Frou to Charles Mingus to Huun Huur-Tu. I have an interest in ethnic musical instruments, like the Armenian duduk and the Japanese shakuhachi, which I perform myself and include in my scores whenever I can. My music productions for DVXUser shorts are often a hybrid between live instruments, virtual orchestra and electronic sounds. And when I get the chance, a full orchestra.
    There's some conceptualizing before I start to score a film, but a lot of the influence is unconscious. I consider myself an instinctive composer, relating more to emotion and improvisation than over-rationalization and schematic methods of composing.

9. What's in the future for you?

I hope to be working as a film composer for many years to come, and to collaborate with many creative people.

10. Do you ever look back at your old work and think of how differently you could have done something? Perhaps something that bugs you?

There's always something that could've been done better, and I'm definitely a perfectionist. But at some point perfectionism can become obsessive, and it can be hard to let go and release the work to a public. I usually think I could have produced or mixed my old stuff better. But you realize that you keep learning and move on.

11. Any words of advice?

I've been working as a composer and sound designer on most DVXUser Fest films over a great distance. When you don't meet someone face-to-face, it can become an obstacle during the collaboration. Try to keep an open mind. Communicate. Talk to people on the phone if communication with your collaborator doesn't seem to work well. Compromise. Be a good collaborator. Let go of your ego a little bit every once in a while, but do hold true to your aesthetic principles. Think positive and try to solve problems. Trust your first instincts.

-Herman Witkam
    Last edited by Rodney V. Smith; 02-20-2010 at 02:55 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Interview w/ Damian Sanchez - Composer
    DAMIAN SANCHEZ - COMPOSER

IMDB | WEBSITE | LISTEN TO SAMPLES

My name's Damián Sánchez. I'm a music composer from Valencia (Spain) and I've been in DVXFest since Twilight Fest, in fall 2008.

My first DVXUser Film was, “Sixty Seconds” by Anthony Misiano, after that, I've worked for a couple of films, always trying to score at least two films each fest.

The films which I've scored for DVXUser Fest are:
    “Sixty seconds”: Anthony Misiano
    “One more victim”: Maher Mahmud
    “Keeper of the lost”: Rodney Smith
    “the sudden realization...”: Dustin Rogan
    “Falling Up”: Rodney Smith
    “ Stupendous”: Anthony Misiano
    “ A safe place to be”: Adam Carpentier
    “Miss Laid”: Joe Saba
    “The Strange Days of Joey Davis”: Rodney Smith
    “Stay Sharp”: Amy Beth O'Brien
    “Flower”: Rodney Smith

I really liked “Sixty Seconds” and “Falling Up” but my favorite so far is “Stay Sharp”.

4. Are the directors in DVXFest easy to work with? Who has been your favorite so far?

I can't generalize because each director has his particular point of view about Filmmaking and this is directly reflected on the score that they want for their films.

Usually, I don't have problems with directors, almost always, they like my tracks at the first listening... Of course we change things and re-score scenes but, normally, they agree with how my music fits the images.

5. Do you do this kind of work on a professional level? How long have you been doing it?

Well, we can take the word “professional” in two different ways:
    1- We can talk about professional level referring to the quality of the work. Maybe there's people that do this work as a hobby and just want to do something different from their normal job, but, that isn't my case.

I'm working so hard to succeed in the career of Film Music Composer and each of this films is a new challenge for me. I always do my best and try to improve myself.

Unfortunately I cant work on this full time, because I'm still studying my bachelor degree in music composition, but when I receive a film, I put at the top of my “to do” list.

2- Another way to talk about “professional” is a person who earns money from his work. My first films where only for credit but, as the time goes by, I have more and more projects, I have to spend more time with the films in order to do my best, and all this time has to be rewarded. I know I still am on the learning stage but I have to go forward with this.

My first steps in Film Scoring were in 2005, but, it was in late 2008, the beginning of 2009 when I decided to go on with this, and work hard to become a Film Music Composer.

Yes, I've finished 3, so far: “Hunters Earth” by Jason Johnson-Spinos, “Look Back & Laugh” by Scott Frosch and “Taking Advantage” by Vu Nguyen.

I'm still waiting to receive “Mirror Mirror” from Rodney Smith. I think this time there will be four scored films for the Fest.

7. How does a director get you involved on a project? Any criteria you need before you even consider being involved?

Nowadays, there are directors who contact me to score their films. This is the second fest in which I haven't placed an advertisement offering my work. Usually the directors who I've worked for contact me again for their new projects.

Of course there is a criteria, my time is not infinite and I have to choose which films I want to work in . First of all I consider if I've worked before with a certain director and how was the experience was. For new directors I try to watch some previous work before deciding if want to do it or not.

One of the most important criteria for me, apart from paid projects (obviously, paid projects had priority), is the quality of the films. I use almost all these films as demo and I like to show films with a good story, good acting, good photography, sound postproduction...etc So if a films is well done, with a good level of production, it's a good film for me to score.

8. Your work has a very definite style to it, something very recognizable. Who are your influences and how do you bring those to bear on a project?

I consider I'm a very flexible composer in terms of style and musical genre. I've noticed that almost all filmmakers of DVXUser have musical thoughts highly influenced by “Hollywood” scores and composers, and of course, part of my musical influence, comes from Hollywood.

Composers like Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman, John Powell, Michael Giacchino... are a big reference for me.

I've to add that in Spain, the music for films is very different from Hollywood's musical thoughts. The music from the last great Hollywood composers is a mix between “Classic Orchestral Composition” and “Music Production”, here, the directors want more classical film scoring sometimes they ask you to do anything else except hollywood sounding music.... This helps me to work in different ways and be able to score in almost all musical styles.

In a short term I want to finish my composition studies while I try to get involved in more and better film projects. As time goes by, the film scoring is becoming my obsession and my goal and I expect to make a successful career as a Film Composer in the future.

10. Do you ever look back at your old work and think of how differently you could have done something? Perhaps something that bugs you?

Of course. I think the first step to improve yourself is the auto-criticism. Sometimes I listen to something that I did in the past and I get surprised about how good it was but, the most common thing is when I tell myself: what were you thinking off when you did this?...

When this happens it's because I did a made jump forward and my music has evolved.

11. Any words of advice?

The only advise that I can give is that if you want something you've to fight for it and work as hard as you can. The opportunity won't knock at your door, it's you who have to knock at the work's door as many times as needed until it's answered.
    Last edited by Rodney V. Smith; 02-19-2010 at 06:43 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Justin Durban - Renaissance Man
    JUSTIN DURBAN - Renaissance Man

WEBSITE | Facebook | MySpace | IMDB | DVX Fest Credits

The name’s Justin R. Durban. I've been here at the DVXFests since HeroFest which was back in 2006. Norm Sanders (BERLIN, R.E.M., WHERE SILENCE FALLS) sent me an email asking if i would be interested in scoring a film or two for the festival. Sure! Yup. And it snowballed from there.

"Bits And Pieces"
    Directed by: Justin R. Durban

"El Cucuy"
    Directed by: Amy O

"Polly"
    Directed by: Dustin Rogan

"Lisa"
    Directed by: Matthew Ramsaur

"One Percent"
    (Special VFX only)
    Directed by: Michael Anthony Horrigan

"Mercy"
    Directed by: Troy Ruff

"Dispatch"
    Directed by: Nobelo / Tim Hyten (Fat Monster Films)

"The Red and the Wolf"
    Directed by: AJ Brooks

"Mahlen"

"The Things We Carry"
    Directed by: Geoff Reisner

"Last Touch"
    Directed by: Norm Sanders

"Too Late To Cancel"
    Directed by: Robbie Comeau

"The Barn Dance"
    Directed by: John LaBonney

"Daily Special"
    Directed by: Jonathan Sheets

"Picture"
    Directed by: Amy O

"Sleep Walk"
    Directed by: Dustin R. Rogan

"The Trade"
    Directed by: Rodney Smith

"The Box"

"Trapped"
    Directed by: Clark Emerson

"Divine Intervention"
    Directed by: Robbie Comeau

"O2"
    Directed by: Tim Hyten / Mark Johnson (Fat Monster Films)

"The Knocking"
    Directed by: Mike Pedro

"Mordere"
    Directed by: Aram Bauman

"Push"
    Directed by: Matt Scone

"The Farewell"
    Directed by: Benjamin Eck

"Solecism"

"The Watchman"
    Directed by: Michael Anthony Horrigan

"The Hour Is Yours"
    Directed by: Kevin Clark

"Where The Heart Lies"
    Directed by: Tim Hyten

"The Arrangement"
    Directed by: Robert Eldon

"Welcome to the Party "
    Directed by: Brandon Rice

"The Circle"
    Directed by: Dale Davis

"Cristo"

"Check"
    Directed by: Dale Bryant

"Freeze Frame"
    Directed by: Ryan Walters

"Dissonance"
    Directed by: John Hudson

"Untitled"
    Directed by: Spencer Katz

"The Artist"
    Directed by: Justin Anderson

"Where Silence Falls"

"Dead Inside"
    Directed by: Spencer Katz

"Brown Waters"

"Lakeside"
    Directed by: Matt Thompson & Justin R. Durban

"Dead Inside"
    Directed by: Ben Sliker

"5B"

"R.E.M."

"Memories"
    Directed by: Alex DePew

"The Stars Above"

"RF eye D"

"Tough Luck"
    Directed by: Alexander Lewis

"Supermates"
    Directed by: Alex DePew

3. You are a composer, an artist, a director and an After Effects guru... how do you find time to balance that kind of workload?
    A really supportive Wife, Generally No TV, and solid google search.

4. As a director yourself, how do you find it working with other Directors from the DVXFests as a composer?
    I find that every director is different. Some just say.. Go For It! Others like to micro-manage the score. Which is fine, as long as it doesn't go too far. DVXuser Fests are pretty much for the love of filmmaking. Little to no budgets. You get what you get.

5. Do you do this kind of work on a professional level? How long have you been doing it? And what else do you do creatively?
    Yes, composing films is paying the bills for the most part. I also design... dun dun dunnnn... Composer Websites as a living too. Luckily i know a couple of things about the web, software and technology. Other creative outlets include Painting, Drawing and developing the screenplay to my opus, Kings and Kingdoms.

I have 4 slated so far. Occasionally you'll have a last minute straggler asking kindly for a soundtrack. I usually keep the last three days of my schedule open for just this occasion. (or at least the nights leading up to the deadline)

7. What do you look for before you get involved on a project as a composer?
    It's hit and miss. I get some great films and regardless of the level, we all start somewhere. I hope that my music will lend itself to any given film.

8. Who are your influences and how do you bring those to bear on a project?
    In terms of Filmmaking, probably Clint Eastwood. He's just got some solid work behind him. Not to mention he scores his own films too. That's probably another topic all together which is highly debatable.

We just formed a Film Development company here in Austin, TX called, "Edgen Films, LLC". We are looking to make some really cool films in the near future. Hopefully we'll be highly successful and have fun doing it. Not to mention perhaps inspire a few others along the way.

10. You're always creating something new and different. When do you find time to sit back and breathe? Is there any downtime between the festivals?
    My wife makes me find time. Sometimes I get so caught up in my work that I loose the ability to see what's most important to me. My family. So, because she's right there with me supporting my every move, its only natural to press the power button on the computer, neatly push the keyboard and mouse high up on the desk, shut off the lights, and close my office door to just walk away. (come next morning reverse the previous statement). If the internet went down... what would i do? I suppose I would have fun being a carpenter.

11. Any words of advice for directors who are thinking of writing their own music?
    Good Samples or solid recordings of musical players is very important. Feel the story and do your best weave in and out of the film. Work with the sound designer… Not against them. I think the trickiest part is when "NOT" to have music. Otherwise.. write music that you feel deep down and what your heart tells you.

-Justin Durban
    Last edited by Rodney V. Smith; 02-21-2010 at 10:51 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Interview w/ Chris Keaton - Writer
    CHRIS KEATON - THE WRITER'S VIEW

WEBSITE

Hello, I'm Chris Keaton and I've been sober for 30 minutes. Oh and I've been actively involved with DVXFest just over a year now.

Well, the films that were shown or those that missed the cut? I'll stick with those that made it in.

Do Not Disturb - Brian Wind
    Medal of Merit - Mathew Ramsaur
    The Office Survivor Guy - Tim Joy
    Thirst - Mathew Ramsaur
    The Devil's Toy - Alex Lugones

Of mine or others? Out of mine it would be 'The Devil's Toy'. Otherwise there has been a few that really got my attention.

4. Are the directors in DVXFest easy to work with? Who's been your favorite so far?

What!? Are you crazy!? These guys are nuts, they want everything for free and they are such prima donnas. But seriously everyone has one thing in mind and that's making the best movie they can with whatever they can find and above all learning every step of the way.

As for favorite director, hmm, It's not Rodney Smith that's for sure. Oh, wait we haven't worked together, phew dodged that bullet.

I would say that I've worked well with almost every director I've worked with. I think every project benefits from a good relationship between the writer and director. I'm not to dodge your question, but I would say Alex Lugones was my fave so far, but we'll see if that stands after Betrayal Fest But really he knew what he wanted and 'got' my story from the start and really knew how to show it.

Would I be talking to you if I did? Yeah, I probably would. I started writing screenplays as a New Years resolution in Jan 2008.

Acceptable Losses - Chris Curl
    Taking Advantage - Vu Nguyen
    Hunters Moon - Jason Johnson-Spinos
    Last Day - Corby Martin

Money always works. I'm willing to work with nearly anyone who has money. I'm not greedy, but I got kids to feed, but seriously sometimes money equals commitment. If you are willing put money on a story odds are you really believe in it.

Otherwise a tract record. Since I'm really working for free the finished product is the compensation I get. So if I can't show the end product and be proud of it, it's a bust for me.

I think all that time I spent in the insane asylum helped. Or maybe I should've spent more time in one? Really, I was raised on bizarre stuff and pop culture. I can see both clearly, but I always lean toward the dark side of things. My favorite film as a teen was 'Gothic'. When I was younger I would stay up late or wake up early to watch USA's 'Knight Flight', I'm sure that wasn't healthy. Oh and the 'Twighlight Zone' showed me what the world should be like.

After you write long enough your style comes through. For me I always want to entertain. I'm not as interested in getting a message across as much as telling a story that people can enjoy whether it's with cringes, screams, tears or laughs.

Who freaking knows and that's the fun part. I would like to sell a feature screenplay, so maybe I should spend less time on all these darn shorts! Yeah, but I love 'em too much.
    I've recently co-authored a young adult novel based on one of my feature screenplays. I hope it get's picked up and then maybe someone will show interest in the screenplay?

Sometimes. It's hard for me to see the faults in my own work and that's why it's important to have some friends who are willing to read your stuff and say it stinks.

I do remember my first screenplay that will forever be 'the screenplay that shall not be named'. One day I hope to revisit it and make it a piece of my portfolio, but not yet.

11. Any words of advice?

GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!! < see three exclamation points for emphasis. However, if you are already hooked on film making then learn everything you can and shoot. Oh and pay your writers.

-Chris Keaton
    Last edited by Rodney V. Smith; 02-20-2010 at 10:10 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    ALEX WHITMER - INTERPRETOR OF DREAMS

WEBSITE

1.What's your name and how long have you been involved in DVXFest?

Alex Whitmer, and I joined DVX in February 07. I spent my first year hanging out in the screenwriting threads before a filmmaker asked me to write for All Hallows Fest. The film was never made, but I’ve been part of the film fests ever since. The film for Love Fest bombed as well, and it wasn’t until Time Fest that an entry made it - ‘Late’, by Drew Ott.

Late - Drew Ott

The Contract - Neal Buconjic

Enchanting Twist of Peccadilloes - Joe Saba

My Soul to Keep - Chris Johnson

Mary’s Travel Brochure - Drew Ott

The Fishermen - Tedy Necula

A Safe Place to Be - Adam Carpentier

Again to Return - Tim Joy

Carpe Diem - Matthew Ramsaur

Miss Laid - Joe Saba

Chasing Kangaroos - Noel Evans

Lisa - Matthew Ramsaur

As well as script editor/consultant/special thanks on several other projects, including …

The Accidental Hitman - Paul Condon

Last Date with Jessica - Robbie Comeau

Twisted - Joe Saba

Anti De Presence - Tim Joy

Calls from the Führerbunker - Mike Horrigan

Much depends on the criteria I use to decide that. There have been so many good films throughout the fests, and picking one favourite is impossible. Great comedies, great tear-jerkers, some strong on story, others on cinematography – just so many. On artistic merit alone, ‘Shelter’ by Steven Dempsey sticks out in my mind. ‘A Tear for You’ by Frank Glenciairn is a favourite as well. Gosh, just rattle them off?

Teacher’s Pet, Look at Me, Calls from the Führerbunker, Model /Photographer, Barn Dance, Chalk Dog, Acceptance, Cold Calls, My Name is Harold Allen, Innocence, Daily Special, Red Shoes, Four, O2, Ad Infinitum, Collections Vol. 4 …

Many more.

Talk about asking me to stick a foot in my mouth!

Certainly Joe Saba and Mike Horrigan need to be on the list. Drew Ott, obviously. Noel Evans is a shoe-in. Chris Johnson of course. But really, I have not had any unpleasntries with any of the filmmakers I have worked. It’s been a very enjoyable and creative process every time. Each one has a fresh perspective I need to adjust to, and that can only help me improve. I hope.

There are numerous others I would like to work with as well, but the opportunity has not come up, since it seems most wrote their own material or have a writer already on board.. Who would I like to write for someday? Rodney Smith, Zak Forsman, Frank Glencairn, Amy O, Kyyre Larsen, Susanne Gressmann, John LaBonney, Jack Daniel Stanley, Simon Höfer, Sprocketboy, and A J Brooks, to name just a few.

Someday maybe.

Screenwriting is my profession. I also teach private English classes, but writing for film is my main source of a meager income.

I am in my sixth year as a writer, my fourth professionally – as in when I made my first sale. Yes, fifty bucks counts. Isn’t that what they paid Harrison Ford on his first gig?

Song of the Whippoorwill, with Joe Saba.

It all starts with a PM or email. I used to have zero criteria, but these days, and after many projects that hit the skids for any number of reasons, I do try and judge a filmmaker’s overall seriousness and ability to see the project through. I am not so much concerned about where they are on the learning curve - from beginner to Golden Globe winner - so long as their professionalism and commitment to the project are rock solid. Even then projects don’t always make it, but I sleep better knowing they gave it 1000% - and most important – communicated with me on the status whether or not it was good news.

If I do have one criteria, it is to not work again with anyone who just blows me off. Film is a collaborative effort, and everyone has a stake in the project, be it cash, time invested, or other contributions to the whole. It only takes a minute to let folks know things aren’t working out as planned. It’s just good manners.

Other than that, bring it on!

I don’t have any one person I draw from. I couldn’t name one produced screenwriter off the top of my head, and I know very few director's names outside the huge icons everyone constantly chatters about. I really don’t pay much attention to who is who in the industry, and – shocking truth be told – I rarely watch film. Maybe two per year max, and never in a theatre. Hate it!

No, I have not seen Avatar, nor plan to anytime soon.

I also NEVER read books or watch television. I occasionally surf around on YouTube, but find myself more entertained with idiotic viewer comments than the films/music videos. Okay, the rare peek at American Idol.

These DVX fests are my primary entertainment!!

If my work feels unique, it’s because I have no influences bearing down on it. Story ideas all come from the news, research, and late-night wine indulgences – or a combination of the three. Observation is a must as well.

Feature films. That’s my reason for getting out of bed each morning – or night, or whenever IT hits me. I will always do short film as I think they are a wonderful and highly creative venue for story telling, and I have learned so much about writing for screen by doing them. I can’t get enough.

But the pearl – my greatest aspiration - is a feature film. Currently I have three in funding (one is rumoured to be ‘picked up’, a second is so close – talent attached – that I can taste it, and a third is still looking for illusive backing), and for sure cameras will roll on at least one this year, but it won’t be until late 2011 before I see even a minute of footage.

I have one more optioned, and eight scripts in the hands of producers. Something’s gotta give!

When I do get some real cash, I will return to writing my ‘how to’ screenplay book. Ideally I’d like to have it done by year’s end. I also have some original work/ideas I want to delve into, but right now assignment projects are my bread and butter, and take front burner. That’s not a bad thing. I had two assignments last year that were a massive joy to work on. Giddy I was!

I have several old screenplays I want to peddle around, but they need a major rewrite to get them up to date with my current work. When I send stuff out, I want it all on the same level.

But, this is a craft that has no end to mastering it, so retrospect cannot have any regrets. Every script, be it five pages or one-hundred, is a step forward.

11. Any words of advice?

Three.

Always, always, always push yourself well outside your comfort zone.

Work on assignment all you can, and build a solid body of work. That’s what will get you noticed.

Write everyday. Like a musician, the more you practice, the better your command of the instrument – in theory anyways.

Wait, 4 ..

Whatever keaton tells you, erase it from your memory!

- Alex Whitmer
    Last edited by Rodney V. Smith; 02-23-2010 at 02:38 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    MICHAEL ANTHONY HORRIGAN - FILMMAKER

Michael Anthony Horrigan, although I went by Kysersose when I first joined DVXuser back in January of 2007. I was a lurker for a while before then.

2. What is it that keeps you coming back?
    I like the abuse. No, good people and the need to be creative. I don't do this sort of thing to make a living so it's a nice break from the norm. I love it though, wish I could do it full time.

3. What films have you made specifically for DVXFest?
    Robin the Spy, The Music Box, Joel 3:15, The Watchman, Calls from the Führerbunker, and One Percent. CFTFB is probably my favourite.

4. What has been your favorite fest so far and what made it so enjoyable?
    Tough call. Probably Twilight Fest. The entries were great and that Fest had a vast amount of them. I loved that theme and tried to nail it down as best as possible. Had great fun collaborating with some German DVXusers as well. (Jason and Susanne Horncastle)

5. What would it take to get you involved in a project to impart your unique style of film making?

Beer? One just needs to ask.

6. As a writer/director/DP, what do you find is your biggest challengeduring production? Do these talents help you to shape the production on set or hinder you?
    Well, as a guy trying to learn all aspects of film making I enjoy the challenge. The biggest probably being directing. I would love to have more time in order to focus on just that. I'm working on it.

7. What are your influences in terms of writing and filming?
    I love just about everything. Big Coen brothers fan. I love Kubrick, Spielberg, Scorsese and more. As for writers... that's tough. I like many different writers, from Truman Capote to Dan Brown and everything in between. Some true crime novels as well. I'm a sucker for those.

8. Do you accept scripts from other writers for production? If you do, how involved do you like the writer to be in the process?
    Yes. That's how I got started here. I also like to have other writers tear apart my own scripts as well. As a writer myself I like to involve them as much as possible, especially for feedback.

9. What has been the hardest film to bring to completion?
    'One Percent'. I was moving at the time and so much was going on in my life. Although the hardest would probably be my attempted Betrayal Fest entry, it just wasn't in the cards. It's a shame, I had more scripts written for this theme than any other. They just poured out of me. At least I entered the 'Betrayal' Script Fest.

10. What's in the future for you?
    More short films until I can make one that I'm truly proud of. Then I'll start thinking about a possible Feature.

11. Any words of advice?
    I'm really not in a position to give much advice so I'll just say 'Keep at it!'. It's a great craft and you'll get better with every film.
    Last edited by Rodney V. Smith; 02-24-2010 at 01:42 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Francesco De Leonardis - Composer
    Francesco De Leonardis - Composer

WEBSITE | SAMPLES

1) What's your name and how long have you been involved in DVXFest?
    My name is Francesco De Leonardis and I've been involved in dvxfest since 2008 ..my first score has been Reprieve (directed by Brad Crawford sentrosi prod.)in DVXuser
    Timefest

Reprieve(directed by Brad Crawford) Time fest
    Innoncence (A.J.Brooks) Twilight fest
    Project : Psych-Light (Troy Ruff) Twilight fest
    The puppeteer (Richard J.johonson)
    The Devil's toy (Alex Lugones) Monster Fest

Innocence (A.J.Brooks),
    Puppeteer (Richard Johnson)

Generally we work together for better results of score depending on particular request of Director... but I prefer to work alone and create two different score so the director can share the best of... I like Richard johson as well as AJ Brooks, Michael Anthony Horringan, Rodney Smith (and dude Stanley)

I'm a professional involving in Trailer and motion picture score...
    I've produced last year an album for trailer Epic Drama Trailer/teaser released by italian Label Soundiva and its sublabel on worldwide... Now I'm working for A new release Prometheus Rising with real choirs session this will be send to Us label Like audiomachine ,Xray dogs etc..and it will be only as licensing for major motion pictures.. At the same time I'm scoring for feature film of Richard Johnson..I've been involved in music Since 1991 as guitarrist of some different band..but I've started my Trialer and fil scoring production since 2006 ..I'm a Technician-researcher in Biochemistry and molecular Biology at Dep.Pharmaco-biolgy and this is my jobs for most of my time but I'm involved in this new job (scoring film and trailer ) seriously since 2008 but The real difficult is the time since my Studio recording is at 100 miles respect my Departement..

I'm working on the Charlyie Factor (directed by Richard j.jonhson)

Depending someone is Director that contact me or maybe if I've interested in credits for some short or film is me that contact the director......The criteria ..the film ...the time and deadline (and most of case is so too closest) the budget.

Depending on what project I'm involved in..for trailer are the major composer Like Troels Follmann, TJ Berghersen, Nick Pheonix, Immediate music an so on..for Film i like James Newton Howard, John Debney, Hans Zimmer and so on.

The new upcoming Album For Trailer -Prometheus Rising- and hope some features

Everyday.....a composer is never satisfacted at 100% for is work (just a different arrangemets or instrument ..can solve a cue or not ...) ...but this is a necessary step to reach a top level and quality in composition, quality sounds etc..

11. Any words of advice?
    Advices...work hard, hard, hard ...to keep at top you results
    Last edited by Rodney V. Smith; 02-27-2010 at 11:48 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Great idea! It's nice to learn more about some of our talented members, and put a face to their name. Well done. This could be a lengthy thread!
    "Talent + Perseverance = Luck."
    - Steven Soderbergh

10. Collapse Details
    Hey, to plug my website I have other things I'm working on outside of the awesome universe that is DVXUser posted there as well as some available scripts. Yes, you can read them.

check it out http://www.chris-keaton.com

Chris Keaton - Writer | Website | Email | imdb |

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast