1. Collapse Details
    Little Help with a Shot
    How do they.... or more importantly how can I have the camera start low over top of an actor on the ground and move straight up in the air revealing the entire scene. The camera staying centered on the actor.

I thought about a crane but it the center point would change as it rises, plus I don't have one.

Just wondering if anyone has done this move before and how they did it.

My shot would be outside too.

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Doing it manually, with a crane/jib on a dolly, moving the dolly to compensate for the arc... that would be the cheapest and most difficult option. Two options that are more expensive but will nail it repeatedly over and over are a SpyderCam and a Motion Control system. Both of those system can run 1000-2000 dollars a day minimum. You're best bet, if you go with SpyderCam, would be the Falcon system, as it has the vertical motion, but restricted horizontal motion (which you don't need anyway).

http://www.spydercam.com/info-falcon.html

EDIT: In fact you might be able to rig up a pulley system (two pulleys on either side supporting the camera) yourself to do the shot and forget the spydercam. You just need some kind of weight stabilization.

3. Collapse Details
    Not as cool, but easier and cheaper would be to just do it as a zoom from on top of a ladder/building/in a tree/whatever.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonthewho View Post
    Not as cool, but easier and cheaper would be to just do it as a zoom from on top of a ladder/building/in a tree/whatever.
    Honestly, this is the best way to do it on a budget. Moving the camera straight up is very tricky without the proper (and very expensive) gear.

Plus, an overhead shot is relatively flat by its nature, so you may have some difficultly even telling the shots apart.
    I invented the "remove echo" audio filter. And only people that boom their actors closely get to use it.

Alex Donkle - Sound Designer -

5. Collapse Details
    I think what you are asking to do is going to require $$$$. As I can only imagine this shot has to be a vertically straight up and down shot!

I wanted this shot for my short "Love" but had to adjust my vision to the limitations of a crane. I ended up really liking the shot.

So... if you can afford the $$$$ or if you have some incredibly talented guy who can rig you a pully and keep that camera still while executing the move.... think about how you can pull this off with WHAT YOU HAVE. You may be surprised at your result.

Then again.... you may not! lol. Good Luck!

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks guys. I was thinking of trying to make a pulley system. There is no budget for the spydercam, which was super cool. Some kind of pulley system would be the best. I wonder if we could keep the camera straight. I may have to change the shot up.

Its in an open area so no trees, and I'm not sure I could get high enough with ladders, plus I don't want them in the scene... hmmm. I'll let you know if I get anything to work, with no budget for cranes or special camera support.

7. Collapse Details
    Just throwing out an idea here - what about mounting the camera to an RC helicopter?

8. Collapse Details
    This is a pretty standard shot for one of our helicams. Here is something similar we did several years ago.

http://www.brackmusic.com/
    Wendell Adkins
    Perfect Perspectives Aerial Services
    www.perfectperspectivesaerial.com

9. Collapse Details
    Every time I see the title to this short I think of Mexican stew called, "Mole" - Moh-leh. You're not planning on having some Mexican soup in the flick, are ya?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    Portfolio of an Entertainment Blogger

10. Collapse Details
    I love the fly over shots Wendell... I wish you were my neighbor, unfortunately I don't have anyone with those skills in my network here. Lots of guys with rc cars, but no helis. I've checked into getting a helicopter that could hold my camera and the RC shop is not helpful, they don't carry that heavy duty a copter... Not to mention that I know enough about those things that to fly one, even just straight up, is really hard. Definitely would need someone who does this on a regular basis.

And Charli, yes the movie is about a man and his craving for Mexican food. Mole' is actually a sauce that is used in many Mexican dishes, soup included. Good mole sauce can't be beat, its great with melted cheese and used for dipping chips, great spread over enchiladas or just sauce poured over chicken. Its delicious.