Thread: "Dead Drop"

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Did the pre-flight on our gear today. Cutting it down to the wire on a decision like this but looks like we'll be shooting on the GH1. I may or may not roll B camera on my D90 – I'll probably skip it unless it seems absolutely necessary, of course.

I am still planning to forget to shoot stills for the poster.

Commercial and Creative Director at Psychic Bunny, a hybrid media studio in sunny Los Angeles, California.

Producer, Cement Suitcase ( feature film )
    Writer/Director/Producer, Dead Drop ( BetrayalFest finalist ) "A very cool, slick and well done short."
    Producer, The Echo Game ( feature film ) - "There is never a dull moment..."
    Ex. Producer, Coma, Period. ( web series ) - "...few things in web video are done as well as they are in Coma, Period."

@TheSpiceEffect on Twitter IMDb

2. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    Just becasue I can (despite you reminding yourself): don't forget to shoot stills for the poster!!!!

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

3. Collapse Details
    I'll consider it.

Commercial and Creative Director at Psychic Bunny, a hybrid media studio in sunny Los Angeles, California.

Writer/Director/Producer, Dead Drop ( BetrayalFest finalist ) "A very cool, slick and well done short."
    Ex. Producer, Coma, Period. ( web series ) - "...few things in web video are done as well as they are in Coma, Period."

4. Collapse Details
    Can you match the two cameras fairly easily? I thought about using my D90 too. I did not because I haven't used the video enough with it yet. It was used for all our stills though.

5. Collapse Details
    I honestly have no idea. Normally I'd say I plan to run some tests and find out, but there's just no time. I don't like to operate camera when I'm directing, so I would probably do this only as a desperation move if we are far behind schedule and I feel like doing so would cut some shots.

6. Collapse Details
    Completed our first day of shooting. Too tired to say more. Later. Sleeeeeeeep.

7. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    Go Doug go!

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

8. Collapse Details
    Congrats on day one!

9. Collapse Details
    Good luck, Doug! Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Watch the film (1/21/13) HERE!

iZaza Slider...Do you?

10. Collapse Details
    Hooobooooy. All right! Principal photography is wrapped! A half-day of pickups is planned but we've got 80-90% of the movie in the can.

So how was the shoot? Well, I said I wanted to test the limits of what I could do working with a smaller crew... and I did. What I learned is that I needed one or two more people to work super efficiently. We were racing against time all day long, fighting daylight – but we got through it. There were a lot of small catastrophes throughout the day which cut into our time and my money, but this one is my favorite:

We were recording to lavalier microphones which used AA batteries. I had stocked up on these just before we left town and drove out to the middle of nowhere. Nick, working sound, was coming to me every couple of takes worrying about the batteries, which dumbfounded me. That's when I discovered that we had two sets of AA batteries. The first set were a few loose batteries that had been in my backpack for over a year. Those seemed to work fine, with a 2016 expiration date. The 5 packs of batteries I had bought that morning over the counter at a gas station, however, had expired in 2009! Those lasted about 10 minutes each. Unfortunately we had no choice but to use them all.

This is the sort of thing that is hard to anticipate, and is only an issue when you're miles and miles and miles from any kind of civilization. So, there's an easy lesson for everyone: always check your expiration dates!

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast