Thread: "Dead Drop"

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Gotta take some photos to make the poster, can't take the photos until I'm at the location, location is 3 hours away. So we'll have to remember to grab those on the shoot day! Coin flip says we forget to do it.

Commercial and Creative Director at Psychic Bunny, a hybrid media studio in sunny Los Angeles, California.

Producer, Cement Suitcase ( feature film )
    Writer/Director/Producer, Dead Drop ( BetrayalFest finalist ) "A very cool, slick and well done short."
    Producer, The Echo Game ( feature film ) - "There is never a dull moment..."
    Ex. Producer, Coma, Period. ( web series ) - "...few things in web video are done as well as they are in Coma, Period."

@TheSpiceEffect on Twitter IMDb

2. Collapse Details
    You'll make it Doug. Rain or shine.

3. Collapse Details
    Welcome to the fest. I like the title. (Not to be confused with the song DeadStop by Negative Approach)

I'm laughing at all the "crew" comments. Yeah, a lot of us are running lean and mean for this fest.

Sony FS700
    My Vimeo

4. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dougspice View Post
    Gotta take some photos to make the poster, can't take the photos until I'm at the location, location is 3 hours away. So we'll have to remember to grab those on the shoot day! Coin flip says we forget to do it.
    I wont let you forget. My current mission is to rag on you til you get a poster.

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

5. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I guess it's all relative.
    I don't have that many relatives in the area!

I've found I'm most comfortable with a crew of 15 or so. I've done much larger shoots and definitely much smaller. But I find with less than 10 people it can be pretty hard to keep track of everything and stay focused on the task at hand, especially on location. When I'm directing I like to concentrate on just that and nothing else but life is imperfect after all!
    I guess some of us have to be better at multitasking by necessity.
    This one should prove to be in the top of the heap, can't wait to see it!

By the by... did that Kickstart project ever fly? (I think that was you...if not I apoloigze)

6. Collapse Details
    Yeah, that was me. We got about 40% funded but not enough to get over the top. We're still looking at other funding approaches.

I totally respect that you guys are going it alone. In a lot of ways I miss the days when I did that, just me and maybe one other person and BAM it's a movie. But with the amount of effort it takes to do a film, it's just not worth it for me to do that anymore – there are too many things that I forget, too many factors that fall by the wayside. I'm a very forgetful person.

Part of the purpose of this film is to serve as a calling card and a promo for a similar feature-length film I want to do. If I'm going to be going out with it and asking for people to invest in it and in me it had better be pretty focused, pretty professional. I think it's remarkable that you can really do that now with very limited assets. I don't mean to give the impression I'm spending thousands of dollars on this movie... I haven't done the math but my total budget is probably close to $1000 – and a lot of that is hotel rooms since we're so far from home!

Anyway, that's part of what I like about these fests - there's such a wide spectrum of participation, people who have wildly different experience and perspectives on what film is and what you need to make a film. It's a lot more interesting than if everyone was working from the same palette.

Commercial and Creative Director at Psychic Bunny, a hybrid media studio in sunny Los Angeles, California.

Writer/Director/Producer, Dead Drop ( BetrayalFest finalist ) "A very cool, slick and well done short."
    Ex. Producer, Coma, Period. ( web series ) - "...few things in web video are done as well as they are in Coma, Period."

7. Collapse Details
    Yeah, that was me. We got about 40% funded but not enough to get over the top. We're still looking at other funding approaches.

I totally respect that you guys are going it alone. In a lot of ways I miss the days when I did that, just me and maybe one other person and BAM it's a movie. But with the amount of effort it takes to do a film, it's just not worth it for me to do that anymore there are too many things that I forget, too many factors that fall by the wayside. I'm a very forgetful person.

Part of the purpose of this film is to serve as a calling card and a promo for a similar feature-length film I want to do. If I'm going to be going out with it and asking for people to invest in it and in me it had better be pretty focused, pretty professional. I think it's remarkable that you can really do that now with very limited assets. I don't mean to give the impression I'm spending thousands of dollars on this movie... I haven't done the math but my total budget is probably close to $1000 and a lot of that is hotel rooms since we're so far from home!

Anyway, that's part of what I like about these fests - there's such a wide spectrum of participation, people who have wildly different experience and perspectives on what film is and what you need to make a film. It's a lot more interesting than if everyone was working from the same palette.
    Sorry to hear about the kickstart project... but you should keep at it, I loved the trailer! That looks like a great film to me.

I agree, there's plenty of room for all of us...I like have guys like you around so I can learn. Knock it out of the park!

8. Collapse Details
    I had the first face-to-face readthrough/pseudo-audition with the principal actors today. I was a little worried going into it.

I've worked with Chris before, he is a terrific actor who brings a ton of intelligence and perception to his roles. He's always willing to give back and forth with character motivation and backstory and does his homework. But, it's been about 2 years since the last time I worked with him, and there's always that chance that a role just won't click.

Bud is new to me, based on a personal recommendation. I met with him for lunch and we discussed the role (as well as boating, reality TV, the weather in Tennessee, and lord knows what else) but didn't do a real audition. I knew I liked him and the presence he could bring to the role, but I didn't know for sure if he would be a fit. With not very many days left before shooting, I would be in trouble if this didn't work out.

I'm happy to say they both performed fantastically and cemented my casting instinct on the spot. The first reading was of course a bit rough, a bit different from my initial intent, but it showed me we were in the ballpark and that both these guys could bring something interesting to the table. One of the best parts of working with actors is that moment when they show up with something completely different from what you expected/intended, but that just works. We had a couple little tiny moments like that in the half-dozen or so times we ran the scene. I feel like I'm standing on solid ground.

One role left to cast. I feel sorry for the poor young lady that gets this very lucrative part – it's going to be an unusual amount of standing around and waiting for very little screen time. But maybe that will help her get into character as a person who's been kidnapped!

9. Collapse Details
    Good luck Doug, I thought I started late... Your movie is right up my alley.

The good luck is for your 2/3 outside day shots... We have clouds and rain a comin. My shoot was cut in half due to weather and I wish I had those extra days back.

Looking forward to seeing it.

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks man! It is a bit of a late start but I just didn't have an idea that really grabbed me until about two weeks ago. But I work better under pressure anyway.

Weather forecast says partly cloudy to sunny next week... rain supposedly gone by Monday. Doesn't really matter – whatever it is, we'll make it work!

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast