Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    When I talked to the Panasonic guy at CES, he saids lots of cool stuff..but mostly centered around 3D

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    I'd really like a HPX130... HPX170, without variable framerates but with IR capabilities (like the DVC30).

3. Collapse Details
    Minnesota - Land of 10,000 Naturally Occuring Ice Skating Rinks
    An HMC150 with an imaging block transplant (from the HPX300), two card slots (SDXC) and a slot to accommodate removable 2.5" SATA HDDs (as recording media), as well as an option for 32Mbps AVC recording (never happen!) ...and ditching the weaselly monopolistic design for preventing the use of third party batteries (an extremely obnoxious display of profound disrespect for customers, to put it ever-so-mildly).

4. Collapse Details
    Maybe something to counter Canon's upcoming product and Scarlet? Preemptive strike!

5. Collapse Details
    I'd be down with a 150-something with more resolution and dual SD slots or with SD / Compact Flash combo slots.
    HD SDI would be nice.
    Much better LCD screen would be nice [not even touch screen just better than now].

I think it will happen but just not this year.
    An UNPURE D800, Canon 7D | Dell M6500 - MSI GS70 | Windows 7 Pro 64bit - 8 Pro 64bit

6. Collapse Details
    In looking at Panasonic trends and history, the camera that is most overdue for an upgrade or replacement would be the HPX500. The new Sony 350 will probably take some Panasonic sales because there is a huge gap between the HPX300 and the HPX2700. Even at the sale price, the 2700 is still $40k with a good lens, tripod and batteries and the 300, while it is a great piece of gear, is not appeaiing to the crowd that is looking at the Sony 350 and wants P2, full raster, AVC I, 2/3" imagers and a price around $20k-$25k w a lens.

I would say that at the $21k price point, the new 3D camera is a great unknown. Yes, it looks interesting enough, the form factor shows it will probably be a stereo HMC150/HPX170 type of camera. It may be too costly for the DVXUser crowd and it will not be high end enough for the indie crowd who wants to try to make a 3D feature, those people may be more interested in harnessing a pair of rented REDs or SI-2Ks for the same money. Stereo 5D MKII, 7D and Scarlet rigs will also provide competition although the allure of a fully integrated 3D package will highly appeal as far as the flexibility, size, weight and hassle. Beam splitter and side by side rigs are a huge PITA and the ability to grab this new 3D Panasonic, pop in a couple of SD cards and start shooting 3D, and being able to move from setup to setup without a lengthy and involved recalibrations of inter-ocular distance, convergence point, etc. will be very appealing to those who want to make 3D content rather than tweak with settings endlessly.

Those are my guesses.

Dan
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    In looking at Panasonic trends and history, the camera that is most overdue for an upgrade or replacement would be the HPX500. The new Sony 350 will probably take some Panasonic sales because there is a huge gap between the HPX300 and the HPX2700. Even at the sale price, the 2700 is still $40k with a good lens, tripod and batteries and the 300, while it is a great piece of gear, is not appeaiing to the crowd that is looking at the Sony 350 and wants P2, full raster, AVC I, 2/3" imagers and a price around $20k-$25k w a lens.

I would say that at the $21k price point, the new 3D camera is a great unknown. Yes, it looks interesting enough, the form factor shows it will probably be a stereo HMC150/HPX170 type of camera. It may be too costly for the DVXUser crowd and it will not be high end enough for the indie crowd who wants to try to make a 3D feature, those people may be more interested in harnessing a pair of rented REDs or SI-2Ks for the same money. Stereo 5D MKII, 7D and Scarlet rigs will also provide competition although the allure of a fully integrated 3D package will highly appeal as far as the flexibility, size, weight and hassle. Beam splitter and side by side rigs are a huge PITA and the ability to grab this new 3D Panasonic, pop in a couple of SD cards and start shooting 3D, and being able to move from setup to setup without a lengthy and involved recalibrations of inter-ocular distance, convergence point, etc. will be very appealing to those who want to make 3D content rather than tweak with settings endlessly.

Those are my guesses.

Dan
    If they switch to cmos for 2/3" chips, combined with fixed lens and limited connectivity, I could see that for 20K. Plus SDHC is currently up to 10x, so AVC Ultra on Panasonic branded cards (of course) is doable too.
    It's going to be an interesting year to say the least.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    The 500 is kind of overdue for replacement, but still is about half the price of a Sony 350 wo lens.

But as you point out, there is a gap between the Hpx300...and actually the 3000 if you want full raster 2/3". Kind if interesting to see if that gap will be filled, and if Panasonic decide to use cmos in some 2/3" camera. I don't think they will use cmos for the higher end 2/3" though...but who knows? Or maybe a 2/3" 1080p camcorder that also does proper over/undercranking, not the 1-30fps as the 3700 does? That would be appealing and offer something Sony don't, i bet the BBC natural history unit would love that...

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Panasonic could introduce 2/3" CMOS. Other manufacturers have 2/3" CMOS (Sony, Grass Valley, digital cinema cameras etc). It has become acceptable and it would reduce cost a lot.

10. Collapse Details
    I expect Panasonic to introduce reviced "A" versions of some of their current cameras, like the HPX170 and the Hmc-150 with improved LCD screen and Viewfinder, something that Sony and JVC have already implemented. If they really cater to the indie comunity they will introduce something like the HPX300 with an APS-c sensor, like the one in the Lumix Gh1. Panasonic has a good camera on the HPX300 they just have to improve the sensor and make the viewfinder detachable.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast