Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I smell paradox... One cannot produce a cliche free script, that embodies an auteur director's films. Celluloid had allot to do with it. Herrmann... Immense amounts to do with the Hitch vibe we all know and love.

Robert Bloch, Steinbeck, Ben Hecht... These were Hitch's muses. So the question is, do we emulate Hitch or do we emulate a story that Hitch would have wanted to direct?

I'm the biggest Hitch fan on the block, but I don't want to write a knock-off. Scorcese did it, and with flying colors I might add..with "Key to Reserva" how do I top that? Lol.

Not saying anyone's forcing me, lol, and not trying to rain on the parade, I love it here. I just feel weird dipping my toes in that water, respectfully.

I guess a thriller with a MacGuffin doesn't have to be a Hitchcock knock-off... Maybe I just got all excited about the title "Hitchcock" fest... I mean, "In Cold Blood" would qualify... the Asprin was the Macguffin right.. or was it the lengths of rope... Or Citizen Kane, or of course, The Third Man would totally count... On those grounds...

Count me in, no left-field alien ending either, I promise! =)
    Last edited by Anthony Todaro; 02-02-2010 at 09:58 PM.
    SCRIPTFEST VII TOP 3 | THE MELT | WEBSITE | IMDB | EMAIL
    Wordsmith & Graphic Designer. Will work for credit, coffee and money.

2. Collapse Details
    Unobtainium is a real term. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium

3. Collapse Details
    i'm happy to see that the limit has been pushed back to 10 pages

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gohanto View Post
    Nonsense, even in real life elements we have elements and molecules named ridiculous things...

Moronic Acid
    Erotic Acid
    Dogcollarane
    Draculin
    Americium
    Einsteinium
    Californium

Yes, those are all the "technical names" we have named stuff...
    'unobtainium' is a 'joke' element... a placeholder at best... whereas those compounds and elements you list are 'real', and in some cases 'corruptions' of their official names...

In the Periodic Table of the Elements, elements which are as yet unnamed, are give 'un' names... not be because they are 'unnamed', but 'un-un-N' is their period table indice number spelt out in grecolatinesque form... that is 1-1-N
    for elements with indices of 113-119... that is ununtrium, to ununneeum...

Note: apparently someone else noted the jokeness of 'unobtainium'...

5. Collapse Details
    Is this an indication of what the next dvxfest will be? I see it says 6-10 pages which leads me to believe it isn't going to be since there was a discussion that it wouldn't go over 6 minutes. Either way this looks great. I have an idea that would fit perfect with this. Now the trick will be finding the time between my dvxfest entry and this.

6. Collapse Details
    "When creating threads for your script you must create a logline and poster for your project."

You know -- posters are created by quite another department. A logline, maybe I can see (not that it should have any bearing on the script competition), but a poster?

What screenwriters are getting stuff sold with poster art? Any examples?
    “There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.” -Warren Buffett, New York Times

Radiation
    Alternatives
    Hell of a Deal

pfb

7. Collapse Details
    They used Unobtanium as an homage to older sci fi movies. It has been used numerous times in the past. Read the wiki article.
    *Formerly Entity*

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by polfilmblog View Post
    You know -- posters are created by quite another department. A logline, maybe I can see (not that it should have any bearing on the script competition), but a poster?

What screenwriters are getting stuff sold with poster art? Any examples?
    Yes I know, but it's a good exercise to create a poster out of your title just like a logline helps nail down your story. I'm using this so people take their loglines and then create posters that help create a little mystery and teaser for their scripts. Perhaps people will find that their title and script are confusing and hard to define which will force them to think about it more. It's meant to be helpful but also fun. And in the event that a script is used for a potential future DVXfest a poster will be available.

There tends to be a separation between writers and production, that's just the hierarchy of a set. However I think there's a lot to be gained if a writer would think like a producer for a moment and question whether their idea or script can easily be turned into a logline or put onto a poster that entices people to want to see it.

9. Collapse Details
    My poster on "Johnny Angel" was the photo of the album from "Evil Angel" by Breaking Benjamin. My poster for "My Partner, Baby" was just a jpeg of a badge
    I found on a google search. I just put them both on paint shop pro and added a title and tagline.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    Portfolio of an Entertainment Blogger

10. Collapse Details
    Oh man, this is gonna be a challenge to create a story in the vein of Hitchcock in under 10 pages. Looking forward to it though.
    Timothy Collins - Writer/Director - Facebook | YouTube | IMDb | Twitter

DREAMSPACE (Short Film) - 2nd Place @ 81st annual GCA Film Festival 2012
    Scriptfest IV: "GHOST TOWN"
    - Top 10

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast