Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    MARIANNE - a Swedish psychological horror film, shot on 7D
    Hey guys.

My name is Filip, I'm working on a 7D feature film called MARIANNE, which will shoot this year. Here's a little information about it to kick things off.

"MARIANNE is a psychological horror film about a broken family in the small isolated town of Östersund, located up in the Swedish northlands. Among the pine woods, the lakes, the snowy mountains and the midnight summer sun, the story takes place on the fuzzy border where fantasy and reality meet.

45 year old Krister's wife Eva has just passed away in a car accident, and now he's alone with the 18 year old daughter Sandra who hates his guts, and a 6 months old daughter who he doesn't really know how to take care of .

At night he's haunted by bad nightmares about what happened the night Eva died, and guilt for the pain he's caused Sandra over the years as an absent father. He experiences visits in his sleep from a woman dressed in green, looking for revenge. Someone who comes to him via his dreams. Someone he knows already is dead.

Sandra's boyfriend, who's interested in old Swedish folklore, soon realizes Krister is haunted by a Mare – a female creature of the night or a woman possessed. He tries to guide Krister by helping him get rid of her, while Krister tries to regain his family and reestablish some sort of order in his life. But having a bad reputation in a small town makes it hard to regain the trust of someone you've let down so many times before.

Krister finds himself in a jungle of guilt and anxiety, superstition and nightmares, mental and physical illness, and has to find the best way out.
    Is the Mare real, or only in his mind?"

Current poster design used for the pilot we shot last summer:
    http://twitpic.com/vmziy

The logo has changed since this pic, and there will be other changes made in the poster as well.

Some screenshots from the pilot:
    http://twitpic.com/vn0tz
    http://twitpic.com/vn1c7
    http://twitpic.com/vn1o6
    http://twitpic.com/vn1wv
    http://twitpic.com/vn28j

This is a microbudget production. We shoot with a small tight crew with the 7D with these lenses:
    EF 50mm f/1.2L II
    EF 85mm f/1.2L II
    EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II

We do it all practical. It's all makeup, lighting, camera and storytelling.
    No CGI.
    The movie takes place in Sweden, so the characters all speak Swedish with the local accent.

The pilot was shot during the course of one week last spring on ultramicro budget with the GH1 and the kit lens.

We don't have a website up yet, I moved up to location a week ago, and as soon as the adsl is set up I can get an ftp running.
    In the meantime, keep a lookout @JavaExMachina on twitter for updates.
    You'll also find my personal profile there: @TheNorthlander in case you have questions.

I'll most likely ask around for questions about the camera etc here since I'm a camera noob (I studied screenwriting at film school). Luckily though, I'm working with good people who will hold the camera for me.

Be sure also to spread the word to your friends. We could use all the attention we can get.

/Filip
    Last edited by Jawa Ex Machina; 01-27-2010 at 01:43 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    interesting.
    I can't see the poster, could you please upload the image?

good luck!

3. Collapse Details
    I envy the 85mm, that will be my next lens (well the 1.8) . I wonder if you'll want something fast and wide, for indoor low light two-shots or masters. I have the Sigma 28mm 1.8 and I recently did a documentary in Peru. We were distributing medicine and when we went into the small dark houses, the 28mm 1.8 was essential. If you'd like to look, you can go to 2:17 in this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L15G...eature=related. Break legs!
    Last edited by jcrefeld; 01-25-2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: wrong link!

4. Collapse Details
    amiga500 - here's a link to the poster: http://twitpic.com/vmziy

jcrefield - I'll check that out as soon as I can get to a better connection with my laptop. The damn data transfering limit is almost reached.
    Would using that sigma together with the canon lenses in the same film work? Or would it look 'off' in some way despite the lens being good? Is there a canon L equivalent?

5. Collapse Details
    Good question, and you're definitely going to get a different tone with the lenses. The Sigma 28 1.8 is prone to fisheye a bit up-close, which I think is used very effectively for this 'man-breaking-down' shot. Dirk 1.

Now look at the preceding shot - captured with the kit 28-135, and you've got a contrast that will impact your story-telling. (We also shot the close-up later in the day, because limiting DOF in broad daylight is not something I've mastered.) Dirk-Web2.

Bottom-line, I'd like to pic up the 85mm for these tight close-ups, and I'd use the 28mm for interior, low-light, master or two-shots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Collapse Details
    I've added some more screencaps from the pilot in an album on my profile here.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/album.php?albumid=388

I'm hoping to post the whole pilot this week on either Youtube or Vimeo, but I need to find time to do that.
    Check out the images in the meantime.

By the way, I'm not sure this is the right forum for this thread or not.
    If it isn't, I'm sure an admin will move it, right?

7. Collapse Details

Here's the pilot we shot on a very tight budget in early june 2009 in Östersund, Jämtland, a small isolated town in the Northlands of Sweden.

We used a GH1 with the kid lens for the duration of this shoot, and the actual feature will be shot using the 7D with three much better lenses, the EF 50mm f/1.2L II, EF 85mm f/1.2L II and EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II

MARIANNE and this pilot was produced in cooperation with Filmpool Jämtland ( filmpooljamtland.se ) and the Mid Nordic Film Commission ( midnordicfilm.com )

This pilot was sponsored by:

VEIL OF VISION - Provided awesome looking custom goth clothing, check out their webshop at veilofvisions.com

JI FASHION 4U - Provided us with shoes for the woman in green. Check out their webshop at jifashion4u.se

PANASONIC SWEDEN - Were awesome enough to let us borrow a GH1 camera with lens before it was even released on the market here. panasonic.se

FMN: FÖRÄLDRAFÖRENINGEN MOT NARKOTIKA - Fixed up a place for the crew to stay and shoot interiors. fmn.se

MICA: MÄNNISKAN I CENTRUM ARBETE - Helped us with exterior location. ostersund.se/mica

8. Collapse Details
    Will there be less handheld in the actual film?
    ...aside from some jerky handheld moves, that was a pretty good trailer dude....creepy as hell in a couple of parts.
    Vince Krochak : http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2868158/

2nd AC / Videographer & Editor / Madman
    Sony Z1U | Canon 7D | Canon IS 15-85mm 3.5-5.6 | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Zoom H4n | Redrock Field Cinema shoulder rig | Kessler Pocket Dolly

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince K View Post
    Will there be less handheld in the actual film?
    ...aside from some jerky handheld moves, that was a pretty good trailer dude....creepy as hell in a couple of parts.
    Thanks man.

Yes, the actual film will look much better.
    The pilot was shot with a GH1 with the kit lens. We'll use much better glasses for the film on the 7D. In addition to that, we just got to borrow the camera so the guys operating it didn't have any previous GH1 experience. I'm working hard to get to know the 7D even now.
    We'll also have a follow focus, one of them indiesliders (I've ordered a 150cm one) and Charles on this forum will do some steadicam work for us.

Also, I won't be the one editing or color correcting the film. It's not what I'm good at.

But it's still a fairly good representation of the feel, look and mood we're striving for here, and it's the characters in their environments, shot on location.
    The shot where the girl is sitting by the lake is taken around 2 or 3am btw. It doesn't get very dark in the summer so we're going with natural lights for exteriors.

10. Collapse Details
    It's midday here and I'm sitting in a fully lit room but that trailer still unsettled me! The bits with the Mare are terrifying. The make up, the dress, her movements and posture, that scream... all briliantly creepy. I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight... Thanks a lot! Haha.

Can't wait to see what you manage to achieve with the 7D, better glass and the extra equipment.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast