Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Anamorphic Shootout
    Hey Guys! ...so I've been having fun with anamorphic lenses. I have shot with various and I own WAY MORE than I should, but I thought that I'd share some vids, pics, info, other junk about my experiences. This is is an image of SOME of the lenses that I will be comparing over the upcoming weeks/months.

(In order: Hypergonar (Hi-fi), Bell & Howell, Iscorama (Isco 36), Panavision Superama, Sankor 16c, Gino-SC, Proskar 16B, Generic Adapter)...I have many others....this is just a taste.

So here's my question for you all: What would you like to know about these lenses? I know that I have in mind an approach that I think would be helpful...(things I with I knew before I purchased each of them)

Another question that I have that should be answered merely by the number of responses: How much interest is there here on DVXUser for legacy anamorphics? (In other words, I'm not going to put a "boat load" of effort if no one is interested.)

Obviously...part of the comparison includes: Choose several lenses, choose a specific shoot and see what the results look like!

....so what do you say?

ps....It going to take some time to get step-up rings, and other accessories to be able to shoot with each of these lenses, so it will require some patience on all of our part(s).
    Last edited by HHL; 01-16-2010 at 03:52 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    HHL, I would LOVE to see that! I have to admit though that I'd be most interested in how good the generic adapter can keep up with the real guys as I know barely anything about it.

3. Collapse Details
    HHL, I would LOVE to see that! I have to admit though that I'd be most interested in how good the generic adapter can keep up with the real guys as I know barely anything about it.
    I'll be shooting with it this weekend. I'll post some footy. I'll do some comparisons. They won't be exhaustive....(they will be later) I hope it helps.

4. Collapse Details
    Great, thank you!!

5. Collapse Details
    How about bringing along a sharp lens (e.g Zeiss ZF, EF 50 1.4), and try your best to match the perspective, and distancing yourself to get the roughly the same FOV of the anamorphic lenses. And in post crop the shot to match the aspect ratio, and resize it to match the size of the anamorphic footage. If you can, that would be great as I always wanted to know how big of a difference it is. Of course you won't get the same flares, and squeezed bokeh, but that should be OK. I would definitely appreciate that--thanks in advance.
    Last edited by smokecat20; 01-16-2010 at 06:04 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Totally interested. Not sure what the cost would be. But, I'm for sure interested.

7. Collapse Details
    I was wondering how they work. Are they attached at the end of a 'normal' lens? Or do they stand by themselves? Do you need to focus both?

8. Collapse Details
    i am super interested in the esthetic of anamorphic lenses.

id like to know the most effective way to shoot anamorphic with the 7D on an actual project (opposed to vimeo test footage)

what are the strenths and weaknesses of each of these adapters? how much room for error? simplifying work flows?

i wish there were anamorphic lenses or zoom that worked with the 7D with out having to remove the mirror. like an m42 or some other non PL or oct-19 mount.

panavision lens tests were exciting till they stopped it and i only saw an anamorphic picture and super speed video (non anamorphic)

9. Collapse Details
    Sounds great. Look forward to seeing some tests.
    Andrew Brinkhaus |director of photography
    www.andrewbrinkhaus.com
    Los Angeles

10. Collapse Details
    i am super interested in the esthetic of anamorphic lenses.

id like to know the most effective way to shoot anamorphic with the 7D on an actual project (opposed to vimeo test footage)

what are the strenths and weaknesses of each of these adapters? how much room for error? simplifying work flows?

i wish there were anamorphic lenses or zoom that worked with the 7D with out having to remove the mirror. like an m42 or some other non PL or oct-19 mount.

panavision lens tests were exciting till they stopped it and i only saw an anamorphic picture and super speed video (non anamorphic)
    All great questions. I will do my best to address these questions and more. I look forward to sharing. Tonight, I was testing lens flares from each. (Some people are CRAZY for flares....I'm not so much so, but I respect that other people are...)

I was pleasantly SURPRISED by the flares from the Panavision Superama. I've seen flares like this in the movies....VERY different from the others. I'll post pics later, but.....bottom line: I'm just having fun...and I'm glad to share as long as others are interested.

I'll be posting a more "linear" educational group of articles on a website when I get some time. I'm pretty busy, but I'll try to get it up and going so that we can address the basics of anamorphics for the newbs. There's nothing there right now, but I'll get on that! http://www.AnamorphicShootout.com

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast