1. Collapse Details
    How do you make a directors reel?
    Does that even exist? It seems like you lose a lot of what you put into the piece as a director just showing shots out of context. Just curious what working professionals do.
    "Without the Chaos, there would be no happy accidents"

http://www.kevdwong.com

2. Collapse Details
    It's about moments. Sometimes you need to use bits of dialogue. As far as reels go one can liken the relationship between the director and actor(s) as similar to that of a DP and the gaffer--the material they collaborate on can go on either of their reels, even if it's one person making the other look good. So it's kind of a blurry line, sometimes just a nice shot could be on a director's reel as well as a DP's if they feel like they contributed a lot to it. Speaking as a DP--Not that I want a director taking credit for my work, but it is (or can/should be) a collaborative process.

That's a lot of words without saying much, but basically you want to show the good moments in your movies, the themes that recur through your work, and good performances. I can't say this approach is industry standard, it's just how I'd try to look at it if I were cutting a director's reel.

3. Collapse Details
    I've encountered this issue. A moment can be great, but taken out of context, what does it really mean? I feel like director's reels are most useful for directors working in music videos and commercials, moreso than narrative film. In this more industrial type of work there are more often impressive moments that can cut into a reel and wow the viewer.

If you're hoping to use the reel to show off your storytelling ability, I think it's the wrong way to go. Just make a very short film or two, and use that as a calling card instead. Or if you only work in longer story forms, prepare a scene or two from a piece.

4. Collapse Details
    Short films are much better for directors than reels. Most people's shorts already have very little story or dialogue to begin with, a reel with music playing would be rock bottom for a director IMO.