1. Collapse Details
    Best 7D Post Workflow? - ProRes Advice
    I apologize if this has already been addressed...I've seen previous threads but they address the issue for different cameras and I couldn't find one that was very detailed or accurate. I'll try to be detailed in this post so it can hopefully help others that have a similar question as well.

I have a bunch of 7D footage I will be cutting soon for a feature film. I have a Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running Snow Leopard and Final Cut Pro 6. The footage is on a 2 TB G-Raid connected via FW 800, with about 800 GB remaining on it.

My plan is to sync my video and audio clips first in Final Cut, with each synced video/audio clip in its own separate sequence.

Then, I'll export the synced Sequences from FCP into Compressor...and in Compressor I was going to use the ProRes codec found under "Other Workflows > Apple Codecs > Apple ProRes 422 for Progressive Material" I won't be using the HQ version, only standard.

And then I'll be editing with this. My question is...is this the correct, and best way to handle the 7D Footage for editing?

I've heard some people say they do the export in Final Cut directly, where some other people say you must do it in Compressor for highest quality. Most people seem to have said the HQ version of the codec is unnecessary. Can anyone who really understands the tech involved, describe the best 7D post workflow?

Thanks!

Trevor

2. Collapse Details
    I should also mention, I did a test conversion on a clip that was 4 minutes and 21 seconds, so it was originally 1.54 GB. The conversion to ProRes took 30 minutes and gave me a clip that was 4 GB. Does it normally take this long to convert a clip? I have about 300 GB to convert...so if thats true...then it could take a really really long time...by what I initially calculated it could be 100 hours just to convert.

3. Collapse Details
    I was recently on the B&H website and they gave a pretty good tutorial video on converting footage.
    Go to www.bhphoto.com and half way down the page on the right side look for B&H videos.
    Chong Pak
    Cinematographer