Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    To be honest I think Broadcast ready really means that you used a camera and it was shown on TV and the station was happy with it.

For a small tv station a sub 10k hd camera or a DVX100 may be broadcast-ready for an entire series but another channel may require shooting on $60 000 + cameras.

I agree that you need to know what the broadcaster wants.

If you can, I suggest you hire a camera or cameraman who shoots that format as what is needed this week may be different to what is needed in 4 weeks. No point buying an HDV camera to find out you need P2 but if you hire for the big jobs you could shoot 4 different formats in three weeks - just my two bobs worth.

If you do still want to buy a camera I'd suggest get a lower end camera (under or about 10k) and hire for content that requires better quality because generally if a client needs better than that they have the money and would be paying for better than that.

Just something to keep in mind!
    'Shon Productions' - Film & Video

www.shonproductions.com

2. Collapse Details
    Aww man, are you guys too lazy to do the homework? Why do I have to do your work for you? You get an "F" for this assigment. The two top rated shows on Travel Channel are Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations and Bizarre Foods, both are shot on HDV. Ironically, their lower rated shows are shot on DVC Pro HD tape, Man vs. Food and Samantha Brown.

My friend is a periodic DP on "Bizarre Foods" and "Bizarre World" and they definitely shoot HDV. Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations is also shot on HDV, there have been two profiles in DV Magazine and one in the magazine I write for, HD Video Pro. The two DPs on No Reservations did win the Emmy for Non-Fiction Cinematography, I am a fan of their work as I know what kind of conditions that they have to work in and yet they still pull off a good looking show. With cheap cameras with a crappy codec yet.

Bizarre Food/World - Sony Z5/Z7U - http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Show...ia_Slideshow_6
    Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations - Sony Z1U/Z5/Z7U and I have definitely seen an HVX200 or two on their sets but the show itself is not shot on the HVX200. - http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Show...ter_Boroughs_1 http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Show...ns_Australia_3
    Man vs. Food - Panasonic HDX900 - http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Show...ck_Slideshow_4
    Samantha Browns Great Weekends - not positive but looks like a Panasonic HDX900 from here http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Show...lphia_Photo_10
    Last edited by puredrifting; 02-09-2010 at 06:15 PM.
    Yeah, just like you, I bought a GH4.

3. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Thanks for Bizarre Food, though this shot you linked to does not confirm that the whole show is shot on HDV, it just shows one HDV camera doing a specific shot. Cannot link this to Wikipedia as proof.

And this is it. You said that all TC shows are shot on HDV, but came up with only two, one of which has been mentioned earlier. Thanks anyway.

4. Collapse Details
    Avid Moderator
    ...and a camera format does not make for a good or bad show. How it us used can affect it - but show topic, style, etc. all contribute. Also, what is shot and what is mastered and delivered can be two different things as well.

Michael

5. Collapse Details
    Cranky:

You need to learn how to read more carefully. I said, "All of their top shows are shot on HDV and broadcasted", I didn't say all of their shows. As the pictures prove, Man vs. Food is not shot on HDV and neither is Samantha Brown's show. As to the rest of their shows, not many of the other shows pull any kind of ratings, a lot of them are filler so to me, it doesn't matter what they are shot on.

Their top rated shows would be number 1 and 2, possibly 3. The top rated show on Travel is Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations. It is shot soley on HDV. The number two rated show is "Bizarre Foods", also shot soley on HDV.

As I said also, a friend of mine has DP'd 12 episodes of Bizarre Foods and 6 episodes of Bizarre World, and I am friends with one of their field producers. I know conclusively that the show is shot entirely on HDV, it has also been substantiated by several stories in Broadcast Engineering magazine and in DV Magazine. Whether or not you choose to believe that is your issue, I have already wasted too much time researching what is out there for anyone to see if they choose to.

Dan

6. Collapse Details
    Thank you all for your responses. I was doing research on Filmmakers, one said he would supply a broadcast ready HDV video. I was wondering what he means by that, beside the obvious of course.
    He has not responded to my request but I was still curious.

Broadcast ready to me is making sure my lower thirds are positioned correctly, and my levels are within broadcast spec.

Thanks again

7. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    You need to learn how to read more carefully. I said, "All of their top shows are shot on HDV and broadcasted", I didn't say all of their shows.
    The moment I posted my message I knew you would catch me on that. In response, all I can figure out is that TC has only two top shows. :-) Fair enough. Thanks for digging out the links, but you had to read more carefully too, as No Reservations was mentioned in the thread before you dug it up and it is mentioned on the wiki page :-)

As I said also, a friend of mine has DP'd 12 episodes of Bizarre Foods and 6 episodes of Bizarre World, and I am friends with one of their field producers. I know conclusively that the show is shot entirely on HDV, it has also been substantiated by several stories in Broadcast Engineering magazine and in DV Magazine. Whether or not you choose to believe that is your issue, I have already wasted too much time researching what is out there for anyone to see if they choose to.
    I will link wiki article to this post of yours. I might have missed the articles, I did google for TC shows. I appreciate that you spent your time digging this out.

8. Collapse Details
    If you get the trades (Cable Fax, Variety, etc.), you will see that No Reservations and Bizzare Foods/World ARE the only two that pull significant ratings, that's why they are basically on endless rotation on TC, that's really almost all they show on a daily basis, adding in a lot of the other shows on the weekends and late night.

I didn't even bother to look at the Wiki page, Wikipedia is not a reliable source of information beyond the anectdotal. No problem, realize that my post was in jest, I wasn't serious, just ribbing you. ;-)

I think it will be interesting to see if NXCAM and AVCHD begin to take over from the ever present Sony HDV cams that are used so often in deep cable. I was watching Bourdain last night and it occured to me that Zero Point Zero either has a really good color correction person on staff or they must send it out of house to a NY post house for tape to tape CC. The show looks better generally than HDV has a right too. Especially the daylight, non-lit stuff of Anthony walking down the street in Mexico City. It has a ton of contrast and really good latitude, it would be interesting to know if the two DPs on the show shoot everything flat as heck and if they tweak it all in post or if they get some of this look in-camera.

Notice that No Reservations is shot on prosumer cheap HDV cams by talented guys and looks really impressive while other popular cable shows like Dog Whisperer are shot on HDX900s or F900s, yet the picture quality, subjectively, on that show, looks pretty lousy. Great show, love Cesar, but it is not nearly as good looking as No Reservations. Same with Man vs. Food, Samantha Brown. All shot on "real" 2/3" cameras yet the photography and look are lackluster compared to Bourdain. All of these other shows look as if they don't even get any CC, they all look straight out of the camera.

D
    Last edited by puredrifting; 01-06-2010 at 12:30 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    I didn't even bother to look at the Wiki page
    I wish you did, I spent quite some time grooming it.

I was watching Bourdain last night and it occured to me that Zero Point Zero either has a really good color correction person on staff or they must send it out of house to a NY post house for tape to tape CC. The show looks better generally than HDV has a right too. Especially the daylight, non-lit stuff of Anthony walking down the street in Mexico City.
    I don't have cable, I watched these episodes via NetFlix, obviously the resolution is not there, but at least I can judge colors. I watched Mexico City episode and it did not strike me as "too good for HDV". I know that HDV can be really good, its main issue is macroblocking/softness for busy scenes, other stuff like latitude depends on hardware and on the simple fact that it is an 8-bit codec, just like DVCPRO HD or XDCAM EX. You can get only that much of latitude without banding, provided that the hardware is capable of feeding that much latitude into the sensor. In dark scenes of No Reservations V1U footage looked pretty sad, their shakycam technique and fast cuts sort of conceal this by shuffling better shots with worse ones. I am not a big fan of their MTV-like cutting, I'd prefer longer takes.

Try Art Wolfe's Travels to the Edge, shot with the XH-G1. Canon's codec is better than Sony's, less macroblocking and flatter image, so it is supposed to grade better. I have a second Sony HDV camera and I am not very happy with image (macroblocking, contrast, oversharpening). I had the Canon HV30 the Canon HF100, they delivered better image if you ask me.

It has a ton of contrast and really good latitude, it would be interesting to know if the two DPs on the show shoot everything flat as heck and if they tweak it all in post or if they get some of this look in-camera.
    Presently I own the V1U they used in the earlier shows, and you cannot really shoot flat with it. But they do tweak colors in post.

Notice that No Reservations is shot on prosumer cheap HDV cams by talented guys and looks really impressive while other popular cable shows like Dog Whisperer are shot on HDX900s or F900s, yet the picture quality, subjectively, on that show, looks pretty lousy. Great show, love Cesar, but it is not nearly as good looking as No Reservations. Same with Man vs. Food, Samantha Brown. All shot on "real" 2/3" cameras yet the photography and look are lackluster compared to Bourdain. All of these other shows look as if they don't even get any CC, they all look straight out of the camera.
    Thanks, I will check them out just for comparison.

BTW, I googled for ("Bizarre Foods" HDV) and for ("Bizarre Foods" "DV Magazine") and for (site:dv.com "Bizarre Foods") and came up with nothing, so don't think I am lazy :-)

10. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    So, No Rervations was shot with the V1U first, then with the Z7U and even with the 5D, right? I am watching the first "collection" now on Netflix (I started with the 3 season, then watched some of the 6th season, now decided to watch the whole thing from the beginning). And get this (see attached image). No wonder the DVDs are 4:3 (I never watched the show on TV as I have no cable TV).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast