Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Does Maverick, York, Etc. give money up front?
    I'm doing a feature and researching distribution companies that my film may be successful in getting a deal with. I wanted to know if companies like Maverick Entertainment gave money up front once its agreed that they'll distribute (after the film is finished and submitted)

Thanks in advance for your response.
    I'm a creator; a filmmaker & author of "Confessions of a Corporate Whore", I make material that inspires and uplifts.

I show samples of my work by request. Preview my book at www.confessionsofacorporatewhore.com

2. Collapse Details
    Maverick when they deicde to take your film generally will pay you a set amount of money. The amount is generally pretty low and only good for starting filmmakers. Once they pay you that amount, which takes 3 payments. One on the deal day, one on the release day and another 60 days after the project has been released.

3. Collapse Details
    Joystick Member Richard J. Johnson's Avatar
    that's how maverick works. Jls knows what he's talking about on that one. To get your money from York, I have heard is extremely difficult.

Canon 7D+Teddybear T-Finder+Tamron & Canon Glass+lighting+a bunch of other stuff+2 Beautiful Babies.

"Torn" Available now!
    http://www.rsquaredfilms.com/films/torn.html

Vimeo Channel: http://vimeo.com/channels/47561

"RaZoRbLaDe cItY" December 2010. A Maverick Entertainment Release
    http://www.maverickentertainment.cc/...azorblade-city

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks guys I sure hope I can get something upfront. Filmmakers gotta eat.
    I'm a creator; a filmmaker & author of "Confessions of a Corporate Whore", I make material that inspires and uplifts.

I show samples of my work by request. Preview my book at www.confessionsofacorporatewhore.com

5. Collapse Details
    yep, in all honesty, there is no such thing as up front. Maverick doesn't even give up front money on deal day anymore... it's crazy.

6. Collapse Details
    Really? Typically when do you get paid when dealing with Maverick? And does anybody know the amount they usually pay.

I'm in the process of budgeting out what looks to be a $15K action feature which would seem like a safe bet to get your money back assuming the movie turns out any good, but who knows at this point.

www.swayproductions.com

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsmall View Post
    Really? Typically when do you get paid when dealing with Maverick? And does anybody know the amount they usually pay.

I'm in the process of budgeting out what looks to be a $15K action feature which would seem like a safe bet to get your money back assuming the movie turns out any good, but who knows at this point.

www.swayproductions.com
    R.L. probably knows best, he was the last person to make a deal with Maverick. But shoot your film with larger hopes than Maverick, but you can always use them as a last minute resource if you can't find distribution. Going with a $15K budget is smart, there are other companies which may also take a chance on you for a small payout. Even Rainforest Productions (Stomp the Yard, This Christmas) started out with a small film that only sold for $35K. So we all start somewhere.

8. Collapse Details
    Hey rlsmall

Just checked out some of your work. Pretty great stuff. Really liked the commerical real. The "Break" commerical was too funny. Heck if you can make your $15K film look like your commerical reel then I'm sure you can get a deal with some pretty big folks.

Just make sure you have a tight screenplay and take your time in shooting. Don't rush. What type of equipment do you plan on using - if you don't mind me asking.

9. Collapse Details
    Hey Jls4,

Thanks! The "Break" commercial was shot with a Sony EX1 with a Letus adaptor and we made it for about $1K as our production budget using miniatures for the most part. I was the DP, director, and editor. I'm still learning and I think the cinematography could have been much better, but it was a rush job (we only had one week from concept to completion with my partner and I doing all the effects)

We plan to attempt to pull off the action sequences in this feature using the same techniques we used in that commercial. Since then, we've purchased the Canon 5D and 7D with the goal being to shoot the feature on those cameras. We also have access to a car mount rig, a jib, dolly, small Lowell lighting kit, and a doggy cam, so hopefully we can pull off a decent amount of production value.

BTW, I checked out your thread on "Coming Correct" and it looks great! What are your distribution plans with the picture? I'd love to see it.

www.swayproductions.com

10. Collapse Details
    York doesn't pay anything. Ever. They make the filmmaker provide deliverables and then promise profit after they recoup their supposed $65K in distribution expenses. FYI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast