Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    How much Record Time on a 32mb CF card?
    Question
    Trying to figure out the record times. Say I was using a 32mb card and shooting 1080p 24fps, how many minutes of video will this card hold?

Also, if I was shooting with a 5D mkii at 1080p 30fps with the same card, how many minutes? I can't figure it out

2. Collapse Details
    I'm guessing you mean 32gb, right? Anyway 1080p at 24fps on the 7d is roughly 6MB per second. On a 32gb card you really get like 30gb so you would get roughly 83 minutes on a 32gb card. Not sure what the difference is with the 5d but i'd figure it's about the same.

3. Collapse Details
    canon says 4GB for 12 min, which means you get approximately one and a half hour on a 32GB CF

4. Collapse Details
    Sweet thanks. Thats plenty of record time.

5. Collapse Details
    Keep in mind though that you will only be able to record in 12 minute (or 4gb) "chunks" due to the way the cards are formatted.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jordini99 View Post
    Keep in mind though that you will only be able to record in 12 minute (or 4gb) "chunks" due to the way the cards are formatted.
    About to pull the trigger on a 7D and have been curious about the 12 minute chunk issue. How do you handle, say, a 30 minute interview? Just hit record every 12 minutes?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jordini99 View Post
    It has nothing to do with the way the cards are formatted. Other cameras use the same formatting and have no time restrictions. It is Canon's choice that they don't support spanned clips, and they also have restricted the total amount of recording time to comply with EU tax laws; even if you gave it unlimited recording capability, the Canons still shut off at 29:59 to avoid going over the 30-minute limit allowed by the EU tax system.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    It has nothing to do with the way the cards are formatted. Other cameras use the same formatting and have no time restrictions. It is Canon's choice that they don't support spanned clips, and they also have restricted the total amount of recording time to comply with EU tax laws; even if you gave it unlimited recording capability, the Canons still shut off at 29:59 to avoid going over the 30-minute limit allowed by the EU tax system.
    Barry, will a large card like 32gb cause problems when almost full? I just wonder if the amount of stuff already on the card will slow down writing time at all.
    TRACEY LEE FILMMAKER
    www.dslrcinema.com

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    It has nothing to do with the way the cards are formatted.

Sure it does...It really has a lot to do with the way the card is formatted. They chose not to bypass that problem with spanning I agree, and that sucks, but to say the formatting 4gb fat32 limit isn't somewhat part of this problem is a bit misleading.

10. Collapse Details
    How is it misleading? You can record for a continuous 32GB on FAT32 cards on any AVCCAM or AVCHD product. The file size is a factor in how the programming would have to work, but it isn't in any way an actual limitation. It's very easily overcome, as witnessed by every AVCHD camera on the market.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast