Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The one with David Duchovny?
    The key to success is being too dumb to know when to quit.

Motion Picture & Television Art Directors' Guild :: IATSE Local 800 :: Academy of Television Arts & Sciences

ADG Award for Excellence in Production Design, Star Trek: Into Darkness (nominated, 2013)
    ADG Award for Excellence in Production Design, Mockingbird Lane (nominated, 2012)
    ADG Award for Excellence in Production Design, Avatar (2010)

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade Borge View Post
    most successful thread alluding to religion without crossing the line?
    This thread is fine, because nobody is crossing the line, yes. And thanks to all who are participating in it for doing so appropriately.

3. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    "Afterlife" was, to me, a Christian mainstream movie. The story involved a happily married couple - the wife a Christian, the husband a corporate executive (not especially religious). In a tragic car accident, the wife dies. The husband, deep in grief, begins seeing and hearing the ghost of his dead wife calling to him to join her. But his sister-in-law, who has always secretly loved him, is pulling him to stay in this life. Toss into the mix an oddball TV psychic, a somewhat unusual psychiatrist, and a street preacher who seems to appear and disappear at just the right times, leaving behind a cryptic comment. Oh, and let's not forget the She-Devil who seems to be keeping tabs on the husband. As his world falls apart, the husband slowly comes to terms with the only real truth that matters to him.

It's a story that a mainstream audience can enjoy, but which also has a subtext of Christian themes and characters.

To me, it's an attempt to bridge the gap between Hollywood movies and Christian movies. I'd like to see that happen more.

4. Collapse Details
    When/by whom was Afterlife released and distributed?
    The key to success is being too dumb to know when to quit.

Motion Picture & Television Art Directors' Guild :: IATSE Local 800 :: Academy of Television Arts & Sciences

ADG Award for Excellence in Production Design, Star Trek: Into Darkness (nominated, 2013)
    ADG Award for Excellence in Production Design, Mockingbird Lane (nominated, 2012)
    ADG Award for Excellence in Production Design, Avatar (2010)

5. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    Oh, sorry.....Afterlife is my first digital feature. Distribution pending.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by diego1235467 View Post
    Evolution
    LOL

7. Collapse Details
    hahaha

8. Collapse Details
    I don't know why Christians assume they can't have a mainstream career and not be Christian. It's like assuming that you can't work at a bank, hospital, barber shop or any other place and have a "mainstream" career. Most preachers I know work outside of the Church, some make a nice amount of money. The current pastor at my church has a career and hasn't cashed a check from the church in about a year, trying to help the church get out of debt.

I know a lot of movies and TV shows don't promote Christian values, but what you do outside of work with your video camera and computer is your business. No one can tell me I can't do films that promote my beliefs when I'm not on their time. That doesn't mean we should be involved with every project, we should be able to figure out when something is so conflicting we simply shouldn't be involved, but there's nothing wrong with having a mainstream career. Most times you've been blessed with that career to aid in your Godly purpose. Many times Christians don't consider that.

And does God suddenly not understand people need to pay bills and such too. The church passes a collection plate around for a reason. The electric, gas and phone companies don't normally say, "Oh you're a church, don't worry about it." They may do it a few times, but for the most part, they want their money and will shut you off, church or not. The Church I attend went without heat for almost a year in their business office, because the church is big and after several splits the congregation is small. (Maybe a hundred people in a church that held 4000, you do the math).

Frankly it's partially our fault things got so bad in the first place. There was a time when people wanted Christians on television and in the media, but we were too Holy to get in the media and influence people. I mean, that's just part of our job.

And let's remember, in less political times movies like the Excorcist (a Hollywood film with an in your face Christian theme) and various Biblcal and supernatural films had no problem. Our climate is so political now that even those films are somewhat hated. To go on IMDB and see some people think the Excorcist is "Christian film" and have negative comments because if it, is almost laughable if it wasn't so sad. Ignorance is in full bloom.

Remember the scene in "Fright Night" when the "Vincent" pulls the cross on the the vampire and he says, "You have to have faith for that to work." And the hunter gains faith at the that moment and it works. Compare that to today's "Crosses don't do diddly" (Blade) climate. If there was a "Fright Night" remake I doubt that faith line would be used. Or the "faith" wouldn't work. If you throw little things like that into films people get irritated even if it's part of the mythology. With this in mind I understand why some feel we have no business doing anything but pushing Bibles on the street, but in a culture so media based, in my opinion it's foolish for a Christian to simply ignore the mainstream. Ironically Ong Bak was mainstream and highly religious, but no one bats an eye as long it's not the Christian God that gives your martial arts warrior his power. Ironically, in America, the Christian view is considered "mainstream" as well. Go figure.

-Nate
    Last edited by Nathyn; 12-14-2009 at 08:26 AM.

MAKE YOUR MOVIE NOW!

Writer/Director/Producer/Editor/Composer/Prop Master/Action Hero
    Canon T3i/Apple Final Cut Studio 2/After Effects CS3/Action Essentials 2/Garageband 4.1.2

The Fourth Beast-2003 | Wages of Sin -2007 | Epitaph: Bread and Salt -2011

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathyn View Post
    I don't know why Christians assume they can't have a mainstream career and not be Christian. It's like assuming that you can't work at a bank, hospital, barber shop or any other place and have a "mainstream" career. Most preachers I know work outside of the Church, some make a nice amount of money. The current pastor at my church has a career and hasn't cashed a check from the church in about a year, trying to help the church get out of debt.

I know a lot of movies and TV shows don't promote Christian values, but what you do outside of work with your video camera and computer is your business. No one can tell me I can't do films that promote my beliefs when I'm not on their time. That doesn't mean we should be involved with every project, we should be able to figure out when something is so conflicting we simply shouldn't be involved, but there's nothing wrong with having a mainstream career. Most times you've been blessed with that career to aid in your Godly purpose. Many times Christians don't consider that.

And does God suddenly not understand people need to pay bills and such too. The church passes a collection plate around for a reason. The electric, gas and phone companies don't normally say, "Oh you're a church, don't worry about it." They may do it a few times, but for the most part, they want their money and will shut you off, church or not. The Church I attend went without heat for almost a year in their business office, because the church is big and after several splits the congregation is small. (Maybe a hundred people in a church that held 4000, you do the math).

Frankly it's partially our fault things got so bad in the first place. There was a time when people wanted Christians on television and in the media, but we were too Holy to get in the media and influence people. I mean, that's just part of our job.

-Nate
    I wasn't totally clear on that last part. You're saying that it's the Christian filmmaker's job to get in the media and influence people?

Hm. For me art isn't about influencing people, it's about displaying the art that we receive (either via cerbral terms or by divine inspiration). As a person you may feel that it's your duty to spread the message of Christianity, but as an artist your only focus should ever be to stay honest to whatever images you receive (or create) and do your best to deliver them unhindered, regardless of their intention or message.

If we allow our human beliefs and station to infect the art as it passes through us, we aren't then being artists, we're being spokesmen for some human born position or ultimate desire. We're just then basically being ad men for Black Forest brand Gummi Bears.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamber005 View Post
    I wasn't totally clear on that last part. You're saying that it's the Christian filmmaker's job to get in the media and influence people?
    Partially, yes.

If we allow our human beliefs and station to infect the art as it passes through us, we aren't then being artists, we're being spokesmen for some human born position or ultimate desire. We're just then basically being ad men for Black Forest brand Gummi Bears.
    Art is an outward expression what is inside. If you're not expressing that, then there's no reason to not work for anyone that can use your talents, what's the difference. Art prostitution is in high demand. How can one say, "If we allow our human beliefs and station to infect the art as it passes through us, we aren't then being artists," when in fact that is part of art. "Self expression" is just that. How did artist start believing art is some kind of thing created a part from oneself. It's not. Art has life because of the artist.

-Nate

MAKE YOUR MOVIE NOW!

Writer/Director/Producer/Editor/Composer/Prop Master/Action Hero
    Canon T3i/Apple Final Cut Studio 2/After Effects CS3/Action Essentials 2/Garageband 4.1.2

The Fourth Beast-2003 | Wages of Sin -2007 | Epitaph: Bread and Salt -2011

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast