Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    But where do you draw the line of "good enough?"
    Whatever effectively enough serves your individual purposes and/or needs.

Later,
    Jason

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

2. Collapse Details
    For me the issue is being able to shoot 3k and 120p (with everything else mentioned) for less than the price of an EX1 and quite a bit less than an EX3 or HPX300. Not to mention the PMW 350 with is a 2/3 chip.

For instance, what does Sony do with it's newly announced NXCAM series?

And for the record I've been firmly on the 'I'll believe it when I see it' bandwagon with RED.

I just think there is a decent probability that camera debuts this year and if so it will alter the prosumer market considerably. And while I partially agree with Barry that the big boys won't change until their bottom line is affected, they've got to be taking this into consideration in terms of their own development cycles.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Smith View Post
    And while I partially agree with Barry that the big boys won't change until their bottom line is affected, they've got to be taking this into consideration in terms of their own development cycles.
    Anything that would come out in competition with Scarlet, was probably set in motion the day Scarlet was first announced, back about 19 months ago. It takes a long time to bring a camera to fruition. Everyone talks about how "quickly" Red can move, because they're a small company, but ... Scarlet will be at least two, two and a half years from first announcement to first product being delivered.

The EX1 successor was probably started on before the EX1 even shipped. The HPX170 was probably being worked on before the HVX200 shipped.

As far as PRODUCT goes, I don't think they could respond quickly, if they haven't already been working on it.

I was referring to pricing -- I can't imagine why they'd drop their prices a penny based on an announcement of a product that's a minimum of six months away. They'll react to actual changes in the marketplace, yes. But not just because someone announced something, and (with all due respect) certainly not because Red announced something (because Red has made a very clear case that their announcements are subject to drastic change).

Now, if all the customers in the marketplace just stopped buying today's products, whether due to the announcement or job losses or recession or whatever reason, I believe THAT they would react to. They would do like any business would -- offer incentives, rebates, discounts, promotions, whatever it took to stimulate sales again.

4. Collapse Details
    I buy that.

5. Collapse Details
    this is more in response to the other scarlet thread that got closed, but in terms of dslr's vs. the scarlet and whether the scarlet has lost a lot of its potential user base to the dslr's, I think honestly it has, but there are still a lot of people that are more comfortable with traditional camcorders and weren't ready to trust the video dslr's due to their limitations that will probably go for the scarlet now. it will probably take a lot of the market away from the mid-to-high end camcorder market than it will lose probably. I don't think there are really any sub-$10,000 2/3" cameras out there right now.

as far as why you would go with a scarlet over a dslr, there are obvious advantages like in filming any type of action due to rolling shutter; also for greenscreening, the 4:2:2 color space and lack of aliasing will definitely make it better suited. I see the dslr's as more complementary actually, better for static (or dolly) shots where you would want the shallow dof. but people have been talking about how they're willing to shell out 1-2k for an uncompressed hdmi card or box, and if you couple that with a shoulder rig and maybe the foundry's $500 rolling shutter plug-in you're already pretty much at a similar price point if you add all those to a 7d/gh1/5d. you don't get quite the low light capability (I think the difference is supposed to be around 2.5 stops) but people have been able to achieve pretty shallow dof with 2/3" sensors before. I like them both though.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Smith View Post
    For me the issue is being able to shoot 3k and 120p .
    Red "3K" "4K" is not what it seems. It is a Bayer pattern sensor - so 3K works out to about a 1080p class resolution. I shot a number of commercials with a friends Red One at 3K. At full 3k rez, very, very soft. At 1080p, it looked very good - like a smooth EX1.

The only significant advantages of the 2/3" Scarlet is a slightly larger sensor (somewhat mitigated by Bayer), 120fps and RAW codec. However, it's lens appears to be much less feature wise and usability than EX1, HVX etc. as well as onboard audio, bundled IO etc.

Plus, workflow is still problematic. And we know nothing of build quality, reliability, and stability. And very little of IQ especially artifacts and issues.

I found the whole announcement at this late date underwhelming. I think Red as missed the boat on the sub $10k market. Unless everyone else stand stills for the next 9 month and Scarlet ends up being perfect, they are risking slipping into nichedom and very limited appeal.
    stephen v2
    "A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later."
    Stanley Kubrick

7. Collapse Details
    honestly I admit I jumped the gun and got a dslr because I kind of couldn't wait around for more news about the scarlet anymore- and I really like them, but if money weren't an object I would still get a 2/3" (or an s35 I suppose if we're talking hypothetically) scarlet as soon as it came out.

we still have to see footage though.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenvv View Post
    The only significant advantages of the 2/3" Scarlet is a slightly larger sensor (somewhat mitigated by Bayer), 120fps and RAW codec. However, it's lens appears to be much less feature wise and usability than EX1, HVX etc. as well as onboard audio, bundled IO etc.

Plus, workflow is still problematic. And we know nothing of build quality, reliability, and stability. And very little of IQ especially artifacts and issues.

I found the whole announcement at this late date underwhelming. I think Red as missed the boat on the sub $10k market. Unless everyone else stand stills for the next 9 month and Scarlet ends up being perfect, they are risking slipping into nichedom and very limited appeal.
    I dunno, I know there are still a lot of questions left about it, but I can't see why anyone would choose an hvx or ex1 over one now. I don't get what you mean about the lenses though since the mini primes seem really nice and even the fixed lens seems to be pretty advanced? as far as audio, I know it has no onboard microphone but I thought one of the features was "Two independent microphone level channels, balanced input circuits, 48V Phantom Power, digitized at 24-bit 48KHz". I know the extra I/O modules have extra XLR inputs along with some other stuff but I didn't think you'd need the modules except for advanced or special cases.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenvv View Post
    RHowever, it's lens appears to be much less feature wise and usability than EX1, HVX etc. as well as onboard audio, bundled IO etc.
    What are you basing that on exactly?
    From what I've seen so far the specs on the 2/3" fixed scarlet lens seem pretty sweet.
    But regardless, it's kidn of hard to judge seeing as it hasn't been released yet.

And I"m not sure what you mean by onboard audio and bundled IO - seeing as we haven't seen much detail on those specs yet.

EDITED TO ADD:
    Looks like Killacam posted while I was typing.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by killacam View Post
    I dunno, I know there are still a lot of questions left about it, but I can't see why anyone would choose an hvx or ex1 over one now.
    Well - I can see one huge reason why someone would choose and HVX or EX1 over a Scarlet now.

There's still quite a bit of time before anything is released.
    If someone is working for a living, a camera like an HVX or EX1 bought today will have paid for itself WAY before Scarlet is released.

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast