Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Scarlet Announcement
    I wonder how Red's new Scarlet fixed lens announcement will effect pricing and specs in the rest of the prosumer market.

2. Collapse Details
    Since it's only an announcement of when it could be out (subject to change) I doubt if there will be any immediate impact. They have already announce another 30 day delay.

3. Collapse Details
    True. And don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those RED-or-die nutcases, but I'm guessing if they're making an announcement they must have most of the tech irorned out.

If they do deliver in June, or even a few months later, it might well shake up the prosumer market. Or maybe not, time will tell.

4. Collapse Details
    I would be surprised if it changed anything. This is the third time Red's made announcements on Scarlet, and announced shipping dates in the future. Why should the other companies change?

Now, when Red actually ships the product, and it actually starts to impact the other guys' sales, then that's when you'll see the other companies responding with either new products or price cuts or ... well, whatever they think they would need to do, at that point, to stay competitive.

5. Collapse Details
    Yeah, but maybe 3rd times the charm. This time, they have actual photos. So a picture being worth a whole lot of renders and words, might mean something to Japan, Inc.

I'm not holding my breath though, I doubt we can put money down for one until late summer 2010.

6. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    I read the announment with little enthusiasm, guess I'm tired / burned out from all the hype.

I'm waiting to see lots of footage / tests before I get excited again. Jarred just posted a pic of the Scarlet next to a Nikon D3 for a scale size comparison, It seemed to get my attenton more than any other Scarlet pic or 'render' so far.

I'm really tired of big cameras with big prices if you can't tell

7. Collapse Details
    Steak Knife Member David G. Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    I would be surprised if it changed anything. This is the third time Red's made announcements on Scarlet, and announced shipping dates in the future. Why should the other companies change?

Now, when Red actually ships the product, and it actually starts to impact the other guys' sales, then that's when you'll see the other companies responding with either new products or price cuts or ... well, whatever they think they would need to do, at that point, to stay competitive.
    Yeah, I doubt if the "Other guys" are waiting around for Red to do anything. I think we are going to see some outstanding products from all the big players in the very short term. However, if there is only one thing I have learned from you Barry (Which is absolutely not the case) it is that the video camera market is diverse enough for many, many end users and for many, many products from all the camera manufactures.

That being said, I gotta give Red their props... they are making thing interesting.
    Last edited by David G. Smith; 12-01-2009 at 10:00 AM.
    "The enemy of art is the absence of limitations"
    -Orson Wells.

"To me the great hope is... people that normally wouldn't be making movies will make them and suddenly some little fat girl in Ohio will be the new Mozart and will make a beautiful film using her father's camera-corder and the "Professionalism" of movie making will be destroyed forever and it will finally become an art form."
    -Francis Ford Coppola.

8. Collapse Details
    I'm digging the mini-primes. interested to see how those perform. fast glass, and affordably priced, imo.

Also, was nice to see some of the modules come down in price... the 5" touch LCD went down 300 bucks. the 2.8" went down 100.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Yea, 6mm & 8mm mini primes for $950 looked interesting, I just need to see how good the glass is before I get excited again.

10. Collapse Details
    Shallow Member William_Robinette's Avatar
    I'll tell you. I was one of the first thirty people in line on the first day of NAB 2008 when the scarlet was first introduced. I have been following (ever more distant) RED's progress as have many of have here, and with this latest announcement I started to wonder if the pursuit of making obsolescence obsolete isn't a self defeating goal. I mean, I want the perfect camera. But I would like a camera with a few less features then one with everything I want I can only hold in my dreams.

I feel weird saying this, because I have always been of the opinion of shoot now, buy later. Let RED do their thing and it'll be ready when it is. I still believe in that, but I wonder... really, are they ever going to make the perfect camera? No. They won't. But where do you draw the line of "good enough?"

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast