Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Hudson View Post
    I am stoked everyone seems hyper-aware of this element.

I always say that actors and sound are what sells your flick. Everything else is forgivable.
    I certainly agree. Two of the most crucial elements to get right.

*Saturday Audience Choice Award--Canton Palace Theatre International Film Festival

2. Collapse Details
    Most sound and sound effects in films sounds artificial to me, although Kill Bill, even though heavily processed, had a great surround mix. But maybe that is to a degree what is expected.

3. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    I added a lot of foley effects to One Percent. The fish tank filter, the blinking of the alien eye, the phone call operator, whistling/boiling kettle, footsteps, creaking floors/doors, everything. I also threw in plenty of low ambient sound effects, including some odd alien sounding stuff as well.

When I handed it over to Herman for the score he commented on it and said that he liked the creepy tone that it set up and didn't want to drown it out with a score. That's why there is very little music early on during the opening dream sequence. Herman also mixed it all together in the end very well.

I commented on every film and in most reviews I started to sound like a broken record. I listen with headphones (PC speakers suck) and a simple background room tone would have helped some entries immensely. Not terrible mind room, but 'sound is 99% of the picture*'.

* I think I'm quoting Herman there.

PS - If you don't have a subwoofer then headphones will still help you get some of the LFE that will be lost on cheap PC speakers without a sub.

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Hudson View Post
    I am stoked everyone seems hyper-aware of this element.

I always say that actors and sound are what sells your flick. Everything else is forgivable.
    I totaly agree to this one, not only because I do sound myself, but let's analyse a few things:

Situation 1: a traveling shot where the focuspuller has to focus just in time one someone's face at the end of the shot. If the focus is a little to late... it doesn't matter. If the boom mice is to late... it sounds "unreal".

Also if the actor starts talking already before he's in frame...it's not that crazy.

In big budgets it's all ADR and foley of course... But I have some idea most people here do low budgets

And I have to say that SFX are also importend to be as perfect as possible.
    Last edited by dre83; 11-17-2009 at 11:50 AM.
    SOUND EDITING - SOUND DESIGN - AND ALSO SOUNDRECORDING

philipsfilmsound.com

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Anthony Horrigan View Post
    I added a lot of foley effects to One Percent. The fish tank filter, the blinking of the alien eye, the phone call operator, whistling/boiling kettle, footsteps, creaking floors/doors, everything. I also threw in plenty of low ambient sound effects, including some odd alien sounding stuff as well.

When I handed it over to Herman for the score he commented on it and said that he liked the creepy tone that it set up and didn't want to drown it out with a score. That's why there is very little music early on during the opening dream sequence. Herman also mixed it all together in the end very well.

I commented on every film and in most reviews I started to sound like a broken record. I listen with headphones (PC speakers suck) and a simple background room tone would have helped some entries immensely. Not terrible mind room, but 'sound is 99% of the picture*'.

* I think I'm quoting Herman there.

PS - If you don't have a subwoofer then headphones will still help you get some of the LFE that will be lost on cheap PC speakers without a sub.
    You are indeed quoting Herman, I know him also. I have visited him doing some "foley" things for "Carte Blanche".
    SOUND EDITING - SOUND DESIGN - AND ALSO SOUNDRECORDING

philipsfilmsound.com

6. Collapse Details
    I agree with what Mike says. Anybody that's editing should definitely listen to the sound with headphones on. That's the only way you will be able to pick up on oddities that you otherwise wouldn't hear listening without headphones. That's the beginning of the sound, making sure the audio is consistent and there are no blank pauses in sound or pops and etc. Then ambient sound and all the other things that come along with that you work in.

Watch the film (1/21/13) HERE!

iZaza Slider...Do you?

7. Collapse Details
    This is all well & good... headphones, studio monitors, subs, etc. The thing to keep in mind is the audience you're mixing for though. Most people (general public) are going to be watching our shorts on a computer with its crappy speakers. Your finished film (web version) should translate properly on the thousands of inferior speakers out there.

Most of us here (because we're picky bastards) will be listening on phones or studio monitors or in home theatre set-ups. Might be a good idea to create multi-version mixes so they're available for different venues.

8. Collapse Details
    Well, assuming whoever mixed it had a subwoofer and the bass isn't all over the place...

Sweet, post 1000.
    I invented the "remove echo" audio filter. And only people that boom their actors closely get to use it.

Alex Donkle - Sound Designer -

9. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazaCast View Post
    This is all well & good... headphones, studio monitors, subs, etc. The thing to keep in mind is the audience you're mixing for though. Most people (general public) are going to be watching our shorts on a computer with its crappy speakers. Your finished film (web version) should translate properly on the thousands of inferior speakers out there.

Most of us here (because we're picky bastards) will be listening on phones or studio monitors or in home theatre set-ups. Might be a good idea to create multi-version mixes so they're available for different venues.
    True. Although you may miss the great LFE of a good mix with cheap speakers they will still catch the noticeable hiss when ever someone utters a word and it is not properly mixed. Garbage in = garbage out.

A good mix will still sound great on cheap speakers so there's no need for multiple versions. Even better on a good setup of course.
    A bad mix sounds bad regardless of what you listen to it on.

I guess the point is... clean up the audio as best as you can and then you won't have to worry what someone listens to it on.

MAH

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

10. Collapse Details

I guess the point is... clean up the audio as best as you can and then you won't have to worry what someone listens to it on.
    Exactly!

(although, those mixing 5.1 for their DVD version would still need alt. versions)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast